View Full Version : Anyone upgrade PocketBackup to recent version on 2215?

diesel
07-18-2003, 07:07 PM
I've been reading through the various threads and notice that some might think that pocketbackup might be causing problems such as the shut off after 10 secs problem or not allow recurring alarms to go off............from what i read, the version of pocketbackup that the 2215 comes with is an older OEM version, I was wondering if anyone actually upgraded to the newer most recent version. And if so, did you save it into ROM in order to overwrite the older version of the built in pocketbackup app? or did you simply install it as you would any new program?

I am awaiting my 2215, and was using pocketbackup on my axim and i think it is a fantastic program. I need to figure out how to upgrade once i receive the 2215, and if i do upgrade if i can upgrade the version that is in the 2215's ROM......................

thanks in advance

SHoTTa35
07-18-2003, 07:58 PM
where do we get it so i can compare i guess. Ipaq Backup is that what you talking about?

Sprite Software .. Ipaq Backup Version 1.1.0.6 is what's on there now

Gavin Henriques
07-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Here is the link to the updated version. Let us know how it goes

http://www.spritesoftware.com/upgrades/upgrade_ipaq.html

SHoTTa35
07-18-2003, 08:17 PM
well that's for older users.. i installed it and nope... no go cuz it installed itself as a demo. Ipaq 2215 users don't get that as an upgrade or maybe i did it wrong or something.

diesel
07-18-2003, 09:07 PM
shotta,

i read somewhere in one of the threads that ipaq users could upgrade to the newer version...............by the way the sprite ipaq backup program is the one i'm referring to, sprite makes pocketbackup, it's hands down the best backup utility out there, i use it for my axim so i have a registration license for it................i suppose to upgrade you have to purchase it, which is strange, the version that comes built into ipaq 2215 is an older version that was saved into the ROM, the biggest difference i think between the built in ipaq version of backup and the new version of pocketbackup sprite has is that the new version allows you to create "self-extracting" backups, meaning, the backup file you create comes with an .exe extension, which will allow you to save it on a sd/cf card and after a hard reset, simply run the .exe of the backup file from the card and voila, everything restored back to new, no need to install the program first...........not really a big deal with ipaq since the backup utility is built into the rom so after a hard reset the application is still there, and you could run the backup file you created from the sd/cf card................

as for me, i would want to upgrade the built in backup utility to the newer version since i have a license for it...............just wondering if i can save it over it in ROM or if i would just have to install it as any other application, outside of ROM, so then i would have the built in ipaq backup utility in ROM (older version of sprite pocketbackup) as well as have the newest most recent version of sprite pocketbackup on the 2215 in the normal programs directory..........................

diesel
07-18-2003, 09:12 PM
shotta,

found a link in another thread:

http://www.spritesoftware.com/upgrades/upgrade_ipaq.html

this should allow you to upgrade the built-in backup utility on your ipaq................the other thread was discussing the problems with the ipaq shutting off and alarms not going off due to the built-in version of backup utility, and by disabling the backup scheduler and battery monitor, the problems were fixed, however someone suggested trying the updated version of backup program to see if it works better with mobile 2003

give it a try and let me know, i don't get my 2215 until Monday unfortunately :cry:

edit..............you want to download and use the version 2 (which is free) not the backup plus version which you will have to pay $10 for...................

SHoTTa35
07-18-2003, 10:21 PM
well obviously i chose that... the link that points there is an image that says:

http://www.spritesoftware.com/images/button_ipaq_users.gif

upon clicking that you're taken to the page mentioned .....

HP iPAQ 2220, 3900 and 5400 series owners
If you own an HP iPAQ 2200, 3900, or 5400 series device, then Pocket Backup is already installed in ROM - it's just called 'iPAQ Backup'.

If i click the link older ipaq users to upgrade then it brings me to the same page as the download button. Curiously enough it's not the standard version.. it's the PLUS version that's downloaded even tho i didn't choose that. But it still inevitably is only a demo running for 10days.

diesel
07-18-2003, 10:37 PM
if you read further on the main upgrade page you will notice that towards the bottom, below the download button, you can fill out a small webform, than they email you an activation number that will "register" the upgrade..............they email it to you within a couple of days, prior to the 10 day demo cutoff time...................................

pschultz
07-19-2003, 04:02 AM
If i click the link older ipaq users to upgrade then it brings me to the same page as the download button. Curiously enough it's not the standard version.. it's the PLUS version that's downloaded even tho i didn't choose that. But it still inevitably is only a demo running for 10days.
You can only download the Plus version. After 10 days of trial use, it will be just the normal version.

diesel
07-19-2003, 04:23 AM
but it will only be the normal version with the free registration code, you will notice the same install file is for both the regular and plus version, when you install i believe you just choose the options that pertain to the regular version, if you install the plus options, then even with the free registration code, the plus options are disabled after 10 days however the regular version functions remain intact..................

Archi tech
07-21-2003, 04:49 AM
Diesel, Shotta, et al.-

You seem to be well informed regarding backup software and procedure. What is the difference between this program (the Backup Plus) and the backup software that is part of ActiveSync on my PC.

My intention is to be able to restore my 2215 to its current state (installed programs, registry settings, themes, etc.) in the event of a hard reset or worse yet, unit replacement.

I looked at the iPAQ backup utility discussed, and it appears to my untrained mind that this only backups things to the iPAQ File Store which I am guessing is part of my 64MB of RAM. I would rather backup to my PC and save the space on my iPAQ.

Thanks for the info to this Newbie :oops: and possibly others!

diesel
07-21-2003, 05:22 AM
archi,

i don't have my ipaq yet but will soon, but i've used the backup plus program on my axim and it's fantastic, it allows you to create a "self-extracting" backup file which you could then transfer to your pc................what i mean by self extracting is that it's an .exe file that contains a snapshot of your pocket pc including all data, settings, etc................after a hard reset you can simply run the self extracting file on your pocket pc and it extracts and restores your pocket pc.....................with all programs and settings and data

my understanding with the ipaq is that they have an older version of the backup plus utility built into the ROM, so when you create a backup file (older version ipaq has doesn't allow you to create self extracting backup file) it's not self extracting with an .exe extension, but this should not matter since this program is built into the ROM, after hard reset, the backup program will still be there since it's in ROM, launc the program and restore to your backup from within the program.................

Archi tech
07-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Diesel

Thanks for the explanation. My one point of misunderstanding is: can you save that self-extracting .exe file to your PC or must it reside on your PPC, (in my case in the iPAQ File Store which is where the 2215 wants you to save it). Maybe I can just copy it to my PC from the file store but it sure would be nice if the app did all that for me.

Secondly, any thoughts on the viability of ActiveSync Backup/Restore? I am a little chicken to try it by hard resetting my PPC and seeing if it can restore everything.

I wonder why would HP feel the need to offer their own app if a great backup utility is built-in to AS?

Thanks

ajmaggs
07-21-2003, 11:09 AM
My one point of misunderstanding is: can you save that self-extracting .exe file to your PC or must it reside on your PPC, (in my case in the iPAQ File Store which is where the 2215 wants you to save it). Maybe I can just copy it to my PC from the file store but it sure would be nice if the app did all that for me.
Using the built in app, you can store the backup on either a CF/SD card or the file store (remembering that the Filestore on the 2210 is only 3.8Mb big). You can also copy the backup file across manually and store it on your PC. In the event of a restore being necessary you would need to connect your 2210 to the PC and create a partnership to copy the backup back across before restoring. Personally, I keep a couple of backups on my CF card, and do a device to PC backup once a week.

but it sure would be nice if the app did all that for me
If you upgrade to Backup Plus ($10 from www.spritesoftware.com), this includes a service that runs on the PC, which will allow you to run backups from the PC and store them directly on the PC automatically.

any thoughts on the viability of ActiveSync Backup/Restore? I am a little chicken to try it by hard resetting my PPC and seeing if it can restore everything.
It works OK, but is quite slow. At least it was when I last used it (on a 5450). The increase in AS speeds since the launch of the 2210 may improve this.

I wonder why would HP feel the need to offer their own app if a great backup utility is built-in to AS
I think speed and convience. PocketBackup Plus is much quicker at doing Ipaq to PC backups than AS is, and you get the convience of having a backup stored on your device.

Personally, I would definately recommend the upgrade to PocketBackup Plus, it's well worth the $10.

diesel
07-21-2003, 07:56 PM
i agree with ajmaggs, upgrading to backup plus is well worth the money, it's a much more robust program than the built in active sync backup utility, in fact the one and only time i tried the active sync backup, it did not work on my old axim.......................had to restore after a ROM upgrade, and it failed, after that i got the backup plus on my axim and has never failed me after two additional ROM upgrades on the axim....................i just received my 2210 today and is now charging.............................. :D