View Full Version : This Week's MS Reader free eBooks are UP!!! Good ones this week!

Crystal Eitle
07-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Whew! They're finally up! I checked earlier this morning and they weren't up yet. I was starting to get itchy.

This week:

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. A Sci-Fi classic! One of the funniest books of all time. Read it.

The Flying Book by David Blatner. "Everyone who has ever sat in an airplane has had this same thought at some point in their lives, perhaps every time they fly: "How is this plane ever going to get off the ground?" The Flying Book explores flying through history, physics, anecdotes, sidebars, and illustrations mankind's fascination with flight."

A book about airplanes! Yippee!!!!!

Face in the Frost by John Bellairs. "A dark power is growing in the depths of two wizard kingdoms. The powerful Prospero and his sidekick Roger Bacon must navigate the magical realm to defeat their ancient enemy."

Prospero and Roger Bacon? Sounds a little dodgy. Still, I'm pleased that MS is offering such a great variety with its free eBooks.

www.microsoft.com/reader

dean_shan
07-18-2003, 06:42 PM
I wish they would just release the book in the un-pertected format so I wouldn't have to go throught activation.

Janak Parekh
07-18-2003, 09:54 PM
HHGG? OMG! 8O :lol:

Yes, if you've never read Douglas Adams and are into sci-fi, you must check that out. I think I'm going to download it anyway.

(Crystal, have you read all 5? I haven't read the non-Douglas Adams leftovers book yet...)

--janak

Pat Logsdon
07-18-2003, 10:07 PM
HHGG? OMG! 8O :lol:

Yes, if you've never read Douglas Adams and are into sci-fi, you must check that out. I think I'm going to download it anyway.

I second that! As far as I know, this is the only place that HHGG is available in e-book format. This is reason enough to do the upgrade! 0X

Crystal Eitle
07-18-2003, 10:44 PM
(Crystal, have you read all 5? I haven't read the non-Douglas Adams leftovers book yet...)
Yep. I was disappointed with #5.

What non-Douglas-Adams leftovers?

It's so sad that he died.

By the way, another really good book of his is "Last Chance to See." It's a short non-fiction book he wrote about traveling around the world seeing endangered animals up close. Very moving, funny, and sad.

Pat Logsdon
07-19-2003, 12:04 AM
That would be Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400045088/qid=1058569276/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9649476-4288605?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

By the way, another really good book of his is "Last Chance to See." It's a short non-fiction book he wrote about traveling around the world seeing endangered animals up close. Very moving, funny, and sad.
Excellent book. Have you tried Dirk Gently (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671746723/qid=1058569445/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-9649476-4288605)? Highly recommended.

Janak Parekh
07-19-2003, 05:47 AM
Yep. I was disappointed with #5.
I assume you're referring to the ending? Or Random? I never quite got her, and I did find it depressing at the end. However, it was a neat attempt to tie in Stavromula Beta, though, and ironically, it was a more-or-less perfect ending to the series, despite it being so down.

As S. Snack mentioned. I'll probably get it eventually, but I've heard mixed reviews. It was constructed from a scouring of his hard drive, or somesuch.

It's so sad that he died.
Indeed, we lost one of the best sci-fi authors. I was praying he would release a 6th that would somehow untie things again.

I'll check it out. I also agree with S. Snack's Dirk Gently reference. Mind you, the second one is beyond zany. It makes HHGG seem perfectly rational.

--janak