View Full Version : Strange 2215 Problem

Hyperluminal
07-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Just recently, my new 2215 started to act strangely. I could probably do a hard reset, since I just got it and it wouldn't be that hard to reinstall everything, but let me see if anyone here has any ideas.

One problem is that, at random times when I try to turn it on, it won't go on. This happens occasionally, and a soft reset always works, but it is annoying. Also, sometimes the clock will have the wrong time, like the time it was the last time I used it, so it seems like the screen's not updating. Taping the clock gets it to update. It sometimes also has a "1" before the time, not like it switched to military time, but like it just forgot to remove the 1 from 10:00/11:00/12:00. For example, when it should say 4:29, it'll say 14:29. Tapping the clock fixes that too.

Another problem is that the Today screen seems not to be updating sometimes. For example, I turned it on before and the Today background was there, but there was no Today info (text, lines, anything- just the background). Opening the Start Menu then closing it showed the part of the Today screen that the Start Menu covered when it was opened, and tapping the clock, to bring up Time and Next Appointments dialog, then closing it, brought back the rest. So, again, it would seem like the screen isn't updating properly.

I tried soft resetting obviously, and also disabled Spb Pocket Plus in case that was causing it. It's still doing it. Any ideas? :)

Sparkomatic
07-18-2003, 06:01 PM
I know that my 2215 was having one of the problems you described. Every once in a while, it would not turn on and I'd have to soft reset it. I've since turned off WisBar and now my PPC seems to be working fine.

I haven't experienced any of the other problems you are having though.

droppedd
07-18-2003, 06:04 PM
i've heard the builtin iPaq Backup can cause problems, particularly if you schedule backups.... maybe try updating it to the more recent version from SpriteSoft's site, or disabling it....

Hyperluminal
07-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Hmm, I don't really have anything like WISBar. Which is what's strange, because except for Pocket Plus, I don't have any programs always running in the background.

Strange.

Hyperluminal
07-18-2003, 06:11 PM
i've heard the builtin iPaq Backup can cause problems, particularly if you schedule backups.... maybe try updating it to the more recent version from SpriteSoft's site, or disabling it....

You know what? I actually tried using the built in backup app to schedule backups, but it never managed to actually turn it on at the scheduled time. It'd try to backup the first time I turned it on in the morning, but I couldn't wait so I'd always close it. I just disabled it yesterday. I was going to mention this, but thought it was unrelated. Maybe it's not...

It hasn't actually not turned on since I disabled it, but it has had the Today and clock problem today, so I don't know if it's completely responsible. Maybe it's not completely closed?

portus
07-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Hmm, I don't really have anything like WISBar. Which is what's strange, because except for Pocket Plus, I don't have any programs always running in the background.

Strange.

And why don't you think that Pocket Plus is the culprit? Just unload it to see what happens.

Sparkomatic
07-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Well, in terms of the power thing, my idea just failed. I disabled WisBar and I still have the power problem. :(

Hyperluminal
07-18-2003, 10:28 PM
That's funny. Could it be a hardware bug?

midtoad
07-18-2003, 11:08 PM
In another thread, someone indicated that simply disabling or uninstalling spb is not sufficient, because it has damaged your registry. You actually have to do a hard reset. that requires pressing the two outside buttons (Calendar, iTask) while pressing the reset button.

Hyperluminal
07-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Wait, I realized Pocket Plus had some problems, but I didn't realize this was known to be one of them. Hmm, so I have to do a hard reset? Could be worse (my old Dell died about half the time it came out of suspend or hibernation... it took me nearly a year to get them to admit it was a hardware problem and replace it :roll: ). :)

Jason Dunn
07-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Do you by any chance have the Stowaway XT keyboard software driver installed?

Hyperluminal
07-18-2003, 11:24 PM
No, I don't.

Jason Dunn
07-19-2003, 12:08 AM
No, I don't.

Hmm. Ok, then I have no idea. I have Pocket Plus installed on my 2215 and don't see the issue you're talking about.

Hyperluminal
07-19-2003, 12:35 AM
Hmm, could it be the backup program, maybe wreaking havok even though I disabled it?

Anyway, if I can't solve it by around tonight I'll probably just do a hard reset. I have all of my data backed up of course, so it shouldn't be too much of a pain... (yeah, right ;) )

fatgreycat
07-19-2003, 08:24 AM
I was thinking of purchasing a 2215 this weekend. Now after reading all these problems, I'm a little worried. Are they just 2215 problems, or are they PPC 2003-related? Or is this all a huge unknown at this point?

I was wondering if these weird problems have shown up in any other makes or models, and in PPC 2003 devices from other brands like Toshiba.

Hyperluminal
07-19-2003, 01:36 PM
I was wondering if these weird problems have shown up in any other makes or models, and in PPC 2003 devices from other brands like Toshiba.
Honestly, I was wondering the same thing. Right now, I have absolutely no idea what's causing this problem...

stonepro
07-19-2003, 02:58 PM
1) Pocket Backup: on their site they admit a problem with scheduling backups... say its 2003 related... they will fix. Meantime, just schedule an alarm to go off before the backup time - this will wake up your PPC.

2) 2215 is great!!! but... I am REALLY missing my integrated wireless. I would consider - if integrated wireless is important to you - a Toshiba 750... - I hear it has nice screen (not as nice as 2215) :wink:

fatgreycat
07-19-2003, 05:10 PM
But would PocketBackup be causing the Today Screen and Clock problem HyperLuminal first described?

Oh an no offense, but I won't touch a Toshiba. We have an e-740 in my house that is little more than a paperweight. It never worked right from day one. That's why I'm hoping the 2215's problems are a temporary problem with 2003 issues and not something wrong with the hardware, as I suspect was the case with our 740 and those belonging to several other people who have posted about identical 740 troubles.

My other choice at this point is to wait and see what the new rumored Tungstens will be like. My current Pocket PC is an EM-500. Reliable, gorgeous screen...but it's getting time to upgrade.

ajmaggs
07-20-2003, 02:50 PM
But would PocketBackup be causing the Today Screen and Clock problem HyperLuminal first described?
Unlikely. At least, I've not seen anything like this on my 2210, and I've been using Ipaq Backup and PocketBackup Plus (the full version of Ipaq BU) daily.

I have found one problem with Backup though - there is a major conflict with it and WisBar Advance. If Wisbar is running when I try and do a backup, the device resets at the start of the backup process. As long as I unload Wisbar, the backup runs fine. The only problem with this is I can't use the scheduling options in Backup to run overnight.

I'm guessing that most of the niggles we are seeing are down to the new OS (WM2003) rather than being a problem with the 2210 itself. I've had most of the Ipaq range (36xx - 3850 - 5450) and the 2210 is the best by far! I'd have no hesistation in recommending it.

fatgreycat
07-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks. I actually did go in to buy the 2215 yesterday but walked out with a different PPC 2002 model that had a sharper screen better suited for my aging eyes. Thanks to all for the answers to my questions. I hope these glitches get ironed out soon for everyone.

hamishmacdonald
07-21-2003, 04:09 PM
I just got my 2210 today, and was dismayed to experience the have-to-soft-reset problem that's mentioned here. Removing the Stowaway XT driver solved the problem. But I need to use the keyboard!

Anyone have a suggestion?

Jason Dunn
07-21-2003, 04:45 PM
It's a Stowaway drive issue - I've passed them a message that explains the symptom you described, but I have no news on a solution yet.

Hyperluminal
07-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Well, I just uninstalled every program in my Add/Remove Programs list... and it still does it.

So I guess I'll do a hard reset. If that doesn't fix it, I'll call HP...

Chris Spera
07-21-2003, 07:38 PM
I just got my 2210 today, and was dismayed to experience the have-to-soft-reset problem that's mentioned here. Removing the Stowaway XT driver solved the problem. But I need to use the keyboard!

Anyone have a suggestion?

As Jason mentioned, you'll have to wait until the updated driver is released...

Well, I just uninstalled every program in my Add/Remove Programs list... and it still does it.

So I guess I'll do a hard reset. If that doesn't fix it, I'll call HP...

Don't. As Jason mentioned, its a problem with the driver. Its not WM2003 compatible. You're not going to be able to use the keyboard reliably until the new driver is released. Period. I wish it weren't that way; but unfortunately, its true.

Sorry for the bad news...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Hyperluminal
07-21-2003, 07:49 PM
No, I don't have the keyboard drivers installed. So I still don't know what they problem is...
Thanks anyway, though. :)

Kati Compton
07-21-2003, 08:47 PM
It may have left something residual in your system when it uninstalled...

Chris Spera
07-21-2003, 08:58 PM

This is very true. If you have uninstalled the driver and are still having this problem, I'd strongly suggest a hard reset and a reinstall of all your software EXCEPT the keyboard drivers... I'd wait until the update is available before I installed those.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Hyperluminal
07-21-2003, 09:02 PM
No, no. I never had it installed. :)
There must have been some confusion; I don't even have a Stowaway. ;)

I did notice that it started doing it after I got my SMC WiFi card, which has PPC2002 drivers, which seem to work on WM2003. Then again, I've had my 2215 with the WiFi card for a while, and this only started recently.
Still, does anyone with the SMC WiFi CF card and WM2003 (Jimmy Dodd?) have this problem?

mattrev
07-22-2003, 12:03 AM
I was having this problem, but I noticed it only seem to happen if I suspended right after taking it out of the cradle. Now I wait a few seconds before turning it off after taking it out of the cradle, and it hasn't happened in a while.

Matt

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 01:34 AM
No, no. I never had it installed. :)
There must have been some confusion; I don't even have a Stowaway. ;)

Ah, we were confusing you with the other poster having the problem.

cab124
07-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Just for the record, I too have had a few problems with my 2215:

1) Over the past month, I have had one or two instances when it would not turn on, just as was described here. A soft reset did the trick.

2) The joystick pad is too sensitive. Often times when I am trying to scroll down in a MS Reader book, it registers my action as a click rather than a scroll and does something completely different. I have tried adjusting the settings with no luck.

3) Microsoft Reader acts very flakey. Sometimes it works fine, but other times it hangs or runs very slowly. Other times, right in the middle of a reading session, it will complain that it can no longer access the book I am reading. Yet other times, the book formatting will become corrupt.

4) Sometimes programs will not see books or media files on a CF card.

5) Sometimes the device will just begin to feel very slow in general.

6) Unrelated to the 2215, I have also had some problems with Pocket Quicken. It doesn't seem to want to sync transfer transactions. For instance, if I enter a transaction on my device that transfers $100 from one account to another, that transaction will not be transfered to my desktop Quicken when I sync.

7) One other problem that I have noticed is that if I try to use Bluetooth file transfer service, it is unbearably slow - far slower than transfering files with ActiveSync.

I guess I am getting carried away listing all these issues (many of which are probably unrelated to the 2215), but while I am at it....there is one more issue that drives me nuts. I am wondering if anyone else has a problem with this. Is there anyone else who wishes that they could schedule reminder times for tasks? Right now, it is possible to schedule a date, but not a time. There are so many times that I want to be reminded to do perform a task at a certain time of day, yet my sophisticated Pocket PC isn't able to do that. I can't understand why something as simple as this, which is a feature of Outlook, is consistently left out.

Other than these issues, I love the 2215. It blows away the 3650 that I had used for the previous 2 years.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 06:55 PM
3) Microsoft Reader acts very flakey. Sometimes it works fine, but other times it hangs or runs very slowly. Other times, right in the middle of a reading session, it will complain that it can no longer access the book I am reading. Yet other times, the book formatting will become corrupt.
Try putting the ebook into main memory. Maybe your storage card is "disconnecting" from the OS for some reason.

There are so many times that I want to be reminded to do perform a task at a certain time of day, yet my sophisticated Pocket PC isn't able to do that. I can't understand why something as simple as this, which is a feature of Outlook, is consistently left out.
Pocket Informant (and, presumably, Agenda Fusion) supports specific-time task reminders.

--janak