View Full Version : Need to make 20 illegal OSs legal...

David Prahl
07-17-2003, 06:47 PM
I've been called upon to help re-vamp a network in need. At this location, a private school low on cash, we've got about 20 PCs running windows 98, but all of the legal licenses and discs have been lost.

According to CDW-G, it would cost us about $6000 to become legal. They suggest buying 20 site licenses for XP and then installing 98. (XP would not run well on these systems).

The most important two things to use are LEGALITY and WINDOWS. We need to use a form of windows, because teaching these elementary kids Linux and then learning windows in high school would be useless.

We don't want to buy OEM disks or COAs, and don't want to use loopholes to save some money.

Please reply, since we're low on money, and really want to be legal this time.

By the way, I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell our friend, the FTC! :mrgreen:

droppedd
07-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Call microsoft and ask about purchasing educational volume licenses. I know that at least Office is much cheaper for schools, students and teachers (the idea being hook 'em when they're young). Other sources may offer the educational discount as well; you shouldn't have to pay the full cost for the licenses that businesses do, being that you're a school.

I can't imagine you'd need to pay $300 per license, as CDW suggested... that's just absurd. You could buy 60 brand new retail copies, individually licensed, of Windows XP for less money than the $6000 they estimate. Hell, you could probably buy 20 new computers for that price if you shopped smart.

oh and next time be more careful about... um... "losing" your license keys for windows ;).

upplepop
07-17-2003, 07:26 PM
I would look into getting Windows 2000 if I were you. Viosoftware.com sells licences really cheap ($116 each)... of course you will also have to buy the media (CD-ROM) if you don't already have it--shouldn't be too much.

Here's a link to Win2K licenses.
http://viosoftware.com/micwin20prof3.html

The Yaz
07-17-2003, 08:29 PM
I've been in your shoes as well. Two years ago I helped my daughters school upgrade their computer lab. We received donated computers from some large corporations (that I cannot name) that were in the area.

The best donation that came to us was fifty unopened Win98 licenses. The company had bought new desktops and had ordered the Win2000 os as an upgrade. When they received the pc's, the Win98 & 2000 envelopes were in the boxes.

As far as I can tell, using the oems were perfectly legal. They had been purchased, never used, and in donating them to us, used only on one machine.

I bet if you asked the parents of that school, someone might have a connection worth persuing.

Good luck,

Steve 8)

David Prahl
07-18-2003, 01:07 AM
But the problem with OEM disks is that they all explicitly state that they are "for distribution with a new PC."

Even a "new" pack of 20 OEM disks are still illegal if they don't come with the original PC or part of it.

I think that that was the eduacational pricing. It was through CDW-G, which specializes in educational pricing and sales.

By the way, droppedd, I wasn't around when the licenses were "lost." :D

I'm pretty sure that all of our installations came from one disk. 8O

trachy
07-18-2003, 04:04 AM
Have you thought of trying Lindows (http://www.lindows.com)? I haven't tried it myself, but it's supposed to be a low cost alternative to Windows. I understand it is easy to learn, since it's so similar.

- Drew

Janak Parekh
07-18-2003, 04:46 AM
I think that that was the eduacational pricing. It was through CDW-G, which specializes in educational pricing and sales.
Dave's right. CDWG (www.cdwg.com instead of www.cdw.com) specializes in Govt & Education.

Dave, you might be in trouble, and might have to ditch Windows, if you don't really have the money. I'd suggest a couple of things:

1. Shop around and make sure CDWG is charging you the right price (it does sound quite expensive).

2. Consider installing Linux on the boxes, or some cheaper OS (yes, I know that this is a bad choice for you).

3. See if you can "find" licenses, as per other people's suggestions.

4. See if Microsoft would be willing to make a license grant to the school. This is kind of tricky to do, seeing as how you might be in violation already...

Unfortunately, MS's license pricing has gone up recently, and it's not small-budget friendly. :(

--janak

aroma
07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
The problem is, there is no educational discount for the Full Version of Windows (just the upgrades), and technically, to purchase the upgrade, you have to already have a valid license. You really don't have too many options. Your best might be to contact Microsoft *anonymously*, and see if they can help....

David Prahl
07-18-2003, 03:54 PM
We thought about installing Mandrake Linux or Lindows, but remember that the goal is to teach the kids valuable computer skills. They'll be using MS Office and MS Windows in Middle and High school.

No matter how much we'd love to teach them Linux, it's not something that they need right now. They need to be able to type essays in Word and make PowerPoint presentations.

I just heard from my company's consultant that using the OEM disks is "in the gray right now," and they should be legal. We won't get support, but then again win98 is no longer supported anyway! :lol:

Thanks for your help and idea, everyone, I think I know what to do now.

GoldKey
07-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Try this, http://www.krex.com/PPmain.asp?IC=729&msk=PD&ref=6

Apparently, you can by the OEM as long as you buy it with some piece of hardware.

$89/license (it does not say it is an upgrade) + $10 mouse = $99 X 20 is under $2,000

aroma
07-19-2003, 02:52 AM
$89/license (it does not say it is an upgrade) + $10 mouse = $99 X 20 is under $2,0000

8O WOW! I sure hope is under $20K! :)

GoldKey
07-19-2003, 02:58 AM
$89/license (it does not say it is an upgrade) + $10 mouse = $99 X 20 is under $2,0000

8O WOW! I sure hope is under $20K! :)

Just a typo. At least I had the comma in the right place. I corrected the orgininal post. :D