View Full Version : Definite Problems w/Alarms and PPC 2003

dequardo
07-17-2003, 01:43 PM
There is a definite problem with the way alarms fire off in PPC2003 (Windows Mobile). I've seen both my 2215 and another 1940 exhibit the same behavior. I have an alarm set to go off at 5:15am every day. Yesterday it worked fine. Today it did NOT go off until I MANUALLY turned the device on. Not good.

I HAD PocketPlus installed previously but deleted it totally.

I would encourage all of you affected to contact HP so this gets high visibility and a fix.

Mike

midtoad
07-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Yep, I have the same flaw on my 2215. It seems to be related to another flaw, which is visible when you turn the unit on: it shuts off after a split second, and you then have to turn it on a 2nd time for it to stay on. So, when an alarm goes off, it wakes the unit which then immediately shuts off, and the alarm isn't heard. Only when you turn on the unit a second time does the alarm sound.

I've had my unit less than a week, and have loaded only a few programs on it. It seems clear that Microsoft (or maybe HP) rushed too much to release Windows Mobile 2003, and the 2215. Many, many apps do not work properly with the new OS.

Alarms are a basic requirement of a PIM. My old Palm 1000, from 1996, had a more reliable alarm than this newest 2215. It's going back to the store tomorrow.

caywen
07-17-2003, 04:11 PM
I haven't had that happen to me at all, but I own a 1940. Do you think it could be a general hardware problem? Has anyone seen this on a 1940?

droppedd
07-17-2003, 04:17 PM
that really is absurd that a unit could make it to release if that many people are having problems with basic functionality.

I haven't had any problems yet with my 2210 shutting off or alarms not going off, and i have tons of junk installed on it... but then again I use Battery Pack, which modifies the alarms to use escalating volume, etc... so maybe that affects it.

SHoTTa35
07-17-2003, 04:36 PM
installing pocket plus is the culprit EVEN though you uninstalled it. Do a hard reset as that should bring it back to the original status. When you get stuff like this use it for a day or so without installing anything on it to see how it performs and notice the probs then when (if) you install anything you'll know if the prob was there before or after you installed the app...

I've never had that problem using calendar or the normal alarms via the clock app. That's prolly cuz i didn't install pocket plus ;)

midtoad
07-17-2003, 05:07 PM
installing pocket plus is the culprit EVEN though you uninstalled it.

Well, I've never installed PocketPlus, and I still have the problem.

Chris Spera
07-17-2003, 05:45 PM
installing pocket plus is the culprit EVEN though you uninstalled it.

Well, I've never installed PocketPlus, and I still have the problem.

Now this is new... I knew that PocketPlus caused this problem and would continue to be the culprit even after uninstalling; but I didn't think this was a global, device related issue.

I don't have my 194x because Best Buy doesn't have them yet, so I can't test this. Does anyone else (who hasn't installed PocketPlus) have this problem?

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

rfischer
07-17-2003, 05:58 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but since I haven't seen any word of this on their website, is Spb aware that it may be their app causing this problem? :?:

gorgoroth
07-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Maybe I'll sound silly, but this behavious is the same on my good old 3835. I can never trust it to wake me up. Usually, it will fail one day avery week and will ring only on pressing the on button. I used super alert 1.2 to solve this before. I see this is still something happening on other pocket pc. Funny, cause my psion never failed before I discovered CE world :evil:

smittyofdhs
07-17-2003, 07:27 PM
not sure if this is the issue you are encountering but.....

there is a known flaw in the PPC OS when it comes to reminders and alarms. If you set an reminder/alarm, then immediately shut off the device, the reminder/alarm will not sound at the preset time. Once you make a change, the system has to have enough time to publish that info into the database. The suggestions before said to wait a about 10 seconds before manually shutting off the device after setting alarm/reminder. Better yet, just let the device power itself off after you set one of these. This goes back to PPC2002 OS and sounds like it may still be an issue in 2003 OS.

Gavin Henriques
07-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Similar discussion over at brighthand going on. One member reported that back-up software may be the problem. He reported that since he has turned off the battery moniter(in the back-up program) and scheduled back-ups the problem has not recurred. Another reader has mentioned similar success. I, also have had success with this. I had battery moniter running, but it is now disabled. Also, I NEVER had pocket plus installed on my unit and still ahd these problems.

Mexico
07-18-2003, 04:07 PM
...back-up software may be the problem.

THAT'S IT! I disabled scheduled backups and battery monitor, and my alarms work now!!! AND MY UNIT DOESN'T SHUT OFF RIGHT AFTER I TURN IT ON!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!
:clap: :alfdance: :alfdance: :alfdance: :clap:

SHoTTa35
07-18-2003, 05:04 PM
lol... just don't be throwing software on your PPC if you don't know if it works with it correctly. Installing doesn't mean it works!

Mexico
07-18-2003, 05:07 PM
lol... just don't be throwing software on your PPC if you don't know if it works with it correctly. Installing doesn't mean it works!
The Backup software that is causing the problem came in the unit ROM... 8O So, no, I didn't install it... Somebody from HP did...

droppedd
07-18-2003, 05:35 PM
spritesoftware has an update to ipaq backup on their site (it says 2.1.2 on the site, my 2210 has 1.1.0.6), so maybe it's been fixed in the newer version. See if it still messes up with scheduled backups after the update...

http://www.spritesoftware.com/upgrades/upgrade_ipaq.html

MultiMatt
07-18-2003, 08:49 PM
THAT'S IT! I disabled scheduled backups and battery monitor, and my alarms work now!!! AND MY UNIT DOESN'T SHUT OFF RIGHT AFTER I TURN IT ON!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!
I am having these same Alarm issues on my 5555, and I have not yet used or set up the Backup software that came loaded on the unit...

I did have spb Pocket Plus loaded (and since removed)...

Has anyone mentioned the fact that an Alarm will come on, but not sound? That happens to me quite frequently...
BUT, an interesting observation - if I make the appointment using Agenda Fusion and set the reminder for something other than the Default time of 8am, the reminder will go off!.

Matt