View Full Version : ambicom CF WiFi problem?

nosmohtac
07-17-2003, 07:50 AM
I just recently jumped into the world of wireless, so I am not up to speed with a lot of the terminology.
I installed the drivers and I have made connections without a problem, but if I insert the card before I open up IE, IE freezes up. I have also tried this with FTX explorer, with the same result.

Is this something common with wifi, or is there another problem?

I just thought of this. I installed the ambicom software in to ipaq file store. That could be part of the problem. I've had other software act up when installed in ROM.

SHoTTa35
07-17-2003, 01:20 PM
nah.. not you.... i made a post about that too. If i open IE after i connect (other than USB) it freezes up and i have to soft reset to get full speeds back. Can't crash IE either. Guess it's a bug.

Mark_Venture
07-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Which card, which drivers, and which iPAQ/PPC version do you have?

I ask because with my iPAQ 2215, Ambicom CF1100C-CF, Windows Mobile 2003, Windows CE .NET/4.0 BETA (july 1,2003) drivers from ambicom website, I do not see this problem. I installed the drivers to "default location."

tc
07-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi, Mark,

I've just got everything you have, ipaq2210, AmbiCom WL1100C-CF, download and install driver for Windows .NET/4.0 Beta 1 (dated 1/7); but after plug in the CF card, nothing happened and the 'zero configuration' screen (link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/products/pocketpc/about/2003/wifi.mspx) did not show.
Then, I setup manually: Setting->Connections->Advanced->Network Card->Wireless, and add new wireless network with name 'MyOffice', the option 'Data encryption' was disabled because there's no data encryption in my office (from the network administrator in my office), then 'OK'.
But the status of 'myoffice' is 'unavailable'. Any other wireless devices (notebook + PCMCIA Wi-Fi Card) work well in my office.
Did I make something wrong in setup? :(
Really need your help, and thanks.

tc

SHoTTa35
07-21-2003, 04:44 PM
hey... welcome to PPCT :)

Anyways... i don't have that ambicom card. I use bluetooth over my T68is phone and i have to have pIE open first before i connect. Opening it after i tap the connection icon and connecting results in IE freezing. I can however use the USB passthru feature in AS and then open IE and that works. So i dunno....

tasmms
07-21-2003, 09:23 PM
I have a 2215 and Ambicon CF 802.11 card and am having the same problems with IE. By the way, how do you set up Activsync?

tc
07-22-2003, 02:05 AM
I've just tried to connect to some cafe hot-spots to surf the internet. It's no problem at all. Maybe there's some specific setting of the wireless lan in my office so that I cannot connect it by normal setup.

And for there's no reponse from PIE, is it related to some Proxy setting?

Mark_Venture
07-22-2003, 02:13 AM
Now, keep in mind that I'm new to both iPAQ and wireless.. But I can tell you how I got mine setup...

As for the "zero config" screen... I am not sure you will get that if your WAP is not broadcasting the SSID. ( I just changed the SSID on my Wap, and I did not get the "zero config" screen on the iPAQ.)

When you say you set it up manually giving it network name of "MyOffice" That was because that is what the SSID of the WAP you are trying to connect with is, right?

What are the settings for Network Name (SSID), Network Authentication, and Data encryption for the working notebook + PCMCIA Wi-Fi card? Do they match what is in the iPAQ?

Sorry to link to another message board, but for how I set mine up and got it working (including active sync across wireless) see... http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34044

Please note, since posting that, upgraded from B to G... I took back the Linksys BEFW11S4 and got a Linksys WRT54G. Configuration process was the same.