View Full Version : Socket Bluetooth CF card flakiness?

stevenf
07-17-2003, 07:49 AM
I have a Toshiba e755 running PPC2003 with a Socket Bluetooth CF card. I have downloaded and installed the PPC2003 drivers for the card from Socket's site, and after a bit of jiggling with the configuration, I can get it to talk to my bluetooth phone, and get on the internet most anywhere using GPRS. It works quite well... most of the time.

Since my PocketPC and my phone are never far apart, my dream goal was to set up Inbox to check my email every 30 minutes or so -- have it automatically wake up the PocketPC, make a bluetooth connection to the phone, connect to the GPRS network, download new mail, then hang up.

This _kind of_ works, but sooner or later it just sort of fails. It wakes up and tries to make the connection, but it can't for some reason, and there is no real error mesage. Sometimes I just get the error message that "bluetooth drivers could not be loaded," at which point I have to restart to get bluetooth functionality back. I've found that if the bluetooth card is inserted when I reboot the PocketPC, it doesn't load the drivers correctly. Rebooting with the card out, and then inserting it when the Today screen appears works reliably, but is a pain in the butt.

And then, just to throw me a curveball, every once in a while, it works exactly the way I want it to.

Is the Socket card just kind of flaky?

I've noticed that it takes a minute for the Socket drivers to load when the Toshiba is awoken. (It's a least a few seconds before the bluetooth symbol in the lower right appears.) Maybe this is screwing it up?

Has anyone done this successfully? Is it going to be possible to do on a PocketPC that doesn't have bluetooth built-in? It seems like such a simple dream. :)