View Full Version : New 5550 - arrgh

dochall
07-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Okay. The UK has finally got 5550's.

I raised a question a couple of days ago about charging so I placed and order for the vertical charger and a couple of batteries when I saw my supplier had stock of the 5550.

My backorder for the 5550 and the batteries/charger should have shipped on the same day. I got the batteries yesterday but no ipaq. I plugged in the charger and started charging the batteries and chased my suppliers. There had been a problem with the number of Ipaq's that they had to ship and so they missed the post so I wouldn't see that until today :(

Anyway eagerly got home tonight picked the parcel from the porter and wanted to get started on setting the machine up. I already had fully charged batteries so charging for 16 hours prior to setup. BUT as I inserted a battery for the first time and switched on I noticed dead pixels (not one but about 6 - one line of 5 and one stray one). :cry: This will be my 5th (3630, 3660x2, 3870) Ipaq and I have had no dead pixels before.

I have now ordered another from the same suppliers and will return the first for a refund (quicker that way).#

Very frustrating.

SHoTTa35
07-16-2003, 09:20 PM
have you tried rubbin them? Just take a pencil eraser and rub them slightly.. that usually brings em back to life in new LCDs. Technology isn't perfect but simple tricks to high-tech stuff is usually the answer. I have no dead pixels but it's possible to get some even on new devices. But before it goes back just rub em to see if they come back to life (and no they wont go out in another day or so.... sometimes they just don't wake up when you turn the device on)

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Just be careful to not rub too hard.... 8O :wink: But yes, I've heard this as well. Hasn't worked for me the 2 times I've tried it, but you never know till you try.

dochall
07-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I didn't have a rubber but simply put the original peel off plastic cover back on and rubbed at the effected areas with the pad of a finger.

IT WORKED. :D

mr_Ray
07-17-2003, 12:56 PM
I guess a bit of vigorous rubbing normally does get things to perk up...
oh my! 8O

Have fun with yor iPAQ! :D

Steven Cedrone
07-17-2003, 01:11 PM
I guess a bit of vigorous rubbing normally does get things to perk up...

:twak:

I knew it was only a matter of time before I would have to "Twak" someone... :wink:

Steve

SHoTTa35
07-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I didn't have a rubber but simply put the original peel off plastic cover back on and rubbed at the effected areas with the pad of a finger.

IT WORKED. :D

so sweet when simple tricks get technology to work huh. Like spending thousands on a engine to get it fixed and it wont and then oneday you get frustrated and kick the hell outta it and it works fine since then! LOL