View Full Version : Any news on SD WiFi

OneAngryDwarf
07-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Anbody know any reliable dates as to when the SD WiFi cards are coming out... I think the last I read was August but I know they keep delaying it.... just sitting here twiddling my thumbs not using the internet on my 2215.... gimme gimme gimme i want I need (what about bob)

SHoTTa35
07-16-2003, 08:15 PM
well you can start off by using bluetooth since it's already built in. Just make sure to get an adapter ($20 on ebay) that has LAN Access Profiles. That way you don't have to use Activesync to get online. AS already uses up half the bandwidth to keep stuff synchronized so that would limit your speeds. We know Wi-Fi is faster but no you aren't gonna get not even 4Mbps from a PDA. It doesn't have the CPU speed and bus to handle that much data. And PPC IE pages are small and you wont notice any difference downloading them on a PPC than on a 10Mbps destop connection.

www.windowsmedia.com/mobile is one example :-D

Chris Spera
07-16-2003, 09:26 PM
From what I understand, Socket is planning on having something available late summer/ early fall...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

compkid2005
07-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Last I checked, SanDisk said first week in August

rpommier
07-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Since I got my 2210, I've been rethinking my wireless strategy. Using Bluetooth in the house is really cool. I don't have to worry about carrying around a Wireless card when I want to pop online for something.

Bluetooth in the home is really cheap too. You can get the Belkin F8T001 for $43 shipped at Buy.com or $20+ refurb from Belkin. Compared with my Wireless setup I bought a couple of months ago.

Netgear MR814 - $40
Linksys WCF12 - $50

Those prices are after rebate. Granted you there's not many BT hotspots to hop on, but then again Hotspots here in San Antonio cost, so no loss there. I do plan on getting another wireless card for my 2210 but I am perfectly happy with BT for now.

OneAngryDwarf
07-17-2003, 05:01 AM
Yeah bluetooth would be fine except that i want to use it w/ existing WLANs/hotspots... i had a pcmcia one for my old IPaq and just am anxious to get the ability back again... thanks for the posts

droppedd
07-17-2003, 05:12 AM
i'm kinda concerned about bandwidth as well. A major use i'd want is the ability to stream mp3s and possibly video (well, i can dream... at least i can copy the files onto a memory card and then open them, i guess), and wifi is faster.

Plus at my school there are wifi APs all over the place, which should give me access to my shared mp3 collection etc. in many buildings on campus. Sweet!

Out of curiosity, Dwarf; what's wrong with a CF wifi card? you do have a 2215, after all... and the sdio wifi will probably cost 2-3x as much as the CF cards for the first few months.

OneAngryDwarf
07-17-2003, 06:08 AM
NOthing really... i decided that since my digital camera uses CF I would buy a very large CF card for the 2215 (I already did - 512MB) and then get the SD wifi so i could use both at once... just a convenience thing... i knew i was going to have to wait for the wifi but i can't help but be anxious

Gremlin
07-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Bluetooth in the home is really cheap too. You can get the Belkin F8T001What sort of average range/coverage do you get ? I know it says 100m but whats the "real world" range ? ... what model PDA are you using ?

caywen
07-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Yeah bluetooth would be fine except that i want to use it w/ existing WLANs/hotspots... i had a pcmcia one for my old IPaq and just am anxious to get the ability back again... thanks for the posts

Me too, but I decided that $30 per month is too much to spend for occasional browsing. Information I often find online I can usually buy at a newspaper stand for $0.25 (weather, news, sports, etc).

I also decided that since WiFi is neither free nor ubiquitous, I'm going to wait until late 2004 to worry about having a truly wireless device. Maybe the XDA2 will be nice...

In the meanwhile, bluetooth networking in my house and my workplace suffices nicely. AvantGo gives me free offline browsing and I usually find the bits of news I read are not more than an hour old since my device is continuously sync'd at work or home and it never takes more than an hour to where I want to go.

IMO, WiFi is nifty but really really overrated in terms of actual usefulness.

Xanadu
07-20-2003, 12:32 AM
I'm actually in the same situation as Dwarf. I've already got an investment in CF memory and want to use it and my sdio slot simultaneously. Similarly, I'm eager for WiFi but can wait out the remaining weeks before they arrive in SD format.

Also attractive for me are SDIO WiFi's supposed reduced power consumption and the absence of DRM on CF.

BTW, I've setup a home BT network (Belkin dongle), and it's everything i'd wanted it to be (using it to submit this post, btw). It gives me complete coverage in my single-story 1100sqft condo.

-Xan

kiwi
07-20-2003, 01:28 AM
So,

does anyone have an idea on cost of these cards? and will they stick out the top of the SD slot on the 2210?

I have a CF Wifi Card right now, when I get my 2210, I'd love it to have wifi in the SD slot so I can use CF for my collection of camera CF cards.

The idea for BT wireless at home sounds good. I may loog to get a BT dongle *again* - I sold mine last year.. what specs do I need it to have?

thanks in advance

B

rpommier
07-20-2003, 04:08 AM
Take a look at this thread Kiwi:

http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14388

sbrown23
07-20-2003, 07:15 AM
I also decided that since WiFi is neither free nor ubiquitous, I'm going to wait until late 2004 to worry about having a truly wireless device. Maybe the XDA2 will be nice...

I just got my new SonyEricsson T610 from T-mobile today and posting this on my 2215 using BT to connect to the phone's GPRS internet connection. Talk about ubiquitous!!! Is it fast? Not really, it is as fast or faster than regular dial up, but it works almost anywhere. And mobile formatted web pages are usually not bandwidth intensive anyway.

Wi-fi is good when you need a fast connection near a WAP, but this will get me online anywhere I have a cell phone connection. I love it already! This is the wireless dream..... 8)