View Full Version : Yeehaw!

redifrogger
07-16-2003, 03:14 AM
I just had to let everyone know that I now have DSL and I'm loving it! Sweet. :lol:

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 03:24 AM
Well la-de-da. ;) I'm trying to find out what kind of DSL access a house I'm looking at buying has. But the phone company seems unwilling to tell us. There's *some* sort of DSL. That I can verify through them as well as dslreports, etc. But at what rate? It's 14000 feet away, and there may or may not be a booster. They don't know unless we order it. 8O :roll:

"We don't have to care. We're the phone company."

BTW - now you'll be spoiled and it will be PAINFUL when you visit someone and have to use their dialup... Just to warn you! :)

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 03:31 AM
You know what's sad? It's nearly impossible to use dial-up today and keep your Windows (or Linux, for that matter) box patched. Have you seen the size of Windows Update downloads? 8O

--janak

Deus
07-16-2003, 03:32 AM
CONGRATS! And welcome. When I first got it, it took me two weeks to reach the end of the internet, then I had nothing to do! So, try to make it last. :D

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 04:07 AM
CONGRATS! And welcome. When I first got it, it took me two weeks to reach the end of the internet, then I had nothing to do! So, try to make it last. :D
Heheheh. Have you still not found more on the Internet? If you're really bored, try FARK (www.fark.com)... warning, it's politically incorrect; but it's a ton of links to keep you busy.

--janak

dean_shan
07-16-2003, 07:57 AM
There is one downside to DSL. You'll want to hang your self with your mouse cable if you use dial up. Just like moving from palm to Pocket PC. You can never go back without going crazy.

David Prahl
07-16-2003, 12:43 PM
How fast are you getting for downloads? With cable I can get 2mbit down consistently. :mrgreen:

redifrogger
07-16-2003, 01:43 PM
I just got hooked up last night, so I'm not sure of the speeds. I did look a little to see what kind of speed I was getting, but I wasn't immediately apparent how to determine this. Any ideas? I'm supposed to get anywhere from 384 kbps to 1.5 mbps I think. I still have to dial into work from time to time, and that's going to kill me.

ctmagnus
07-16-2003, 08:48 PM
How fast are you getting for downloads? With cable I can get 2mbit down consistently. :mrgreen:

Consistently, as in all the time?

I get that if I use a download accelerator and pull from multiple sites at once. Otherwise, the bottleneckfor me appears to be somewhere between the site I'm looking at/downloading and my ISP.

David Prahl
07-16-2003, 11:51 PM
:mrgreen: YES, CONSISTENTLY! :mrgreen:

I live on the outskirts of cable service (SDSL was not available), so there are only a few houses on this cable circuit. www.DSLreports.com clocks me at about 2020 for download, and about 300 or so for upload. The highest I've gotten (not from DSLreports) has been 6Mbits. Same on my Pocket PC! 8O

A lot better than AOL( :oops: :oops: :oops: ), which was 2.48kbps EVERY DAY. I should start an entire thread about how evil AOL is... :evil:

It depends on the server, but the actual downloads (what the download dialog box displays) are about 200 to 500kpbs. I got 2.48kbps with AOL, and about 80kbps every day with SDSL.

The great things about SDSL are that it's reliable, consistent, and fairly cheap!

SDSL is like a train, and cable like a roller coaster! I've been lucky that so few people (like 2) are on the same circuit as me. 8)

dean_shan
07-17-2003, 12:12 AM
I should start an entire thread about how evil AOL is... :evil:

Let me help! :twisted:

ctmagnus
07-17-2003, 12:33 AM
:mrgreen: YES, CONSISTENTLY! :mrgreen:

I live on the outskirts of cable service (SDSL was not available), so there are only a few houses on this cable circuit. www.DSLreports.com clocks me at about 2020 for download, and about 300 or so for upload. The highest I've gotten (not from DSLreports) has been 6Mbits. Same on my Pocket PC! 8O

shweet.

[quintuple post deleted :mrgreen: ]