View Full Version : T-Mobile & E-mail

mpfeifer
07-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Anyone...

1. Has anyone gotten the t-mobile ppc to send e-mail via earthlink/sprynet?

2. Does t-mobile give you an e-mail address and or a server to send e-mail from their devices?

Thanks,
Mark

Monty Gibson
07-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Anyone...

1. Has anyone gotten the t-mobile ppc to send e-mail via earthlink/sprynet?

2. Does t-mobile give you an e-mail address and or a server to send e-mail from their devices?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Answer to number one is "No." Answer to number two is "No." What you have to do is setup an entirely different account. Read below to how my setup works for me:

Here is what you're going to have to do. I use RoadRunner at home to check my email. My account is [email protected]. Their incoming mail server is: POP-SERVER.TAMPABAY.RR.COM. Their outgoing mail server is: SMTP-SERVER.TAMPABAY.RR.COM. I use this regularly at home to send and receive email. With a wireless device the SMTP server of course will not let you send mail due to "spamming" issues I was told and the fact that the servers cannot "see" you via an IP address. So therefore I am going to setup my Pocket PC Phone to RECEIVE email via my ROADRUNNER account from home and SEND email via my SOFTHOME account via the internet. So, read and do the following and it will work for you too. I am going to give you the exact details as to not to confuse anyone who may read this.

Step #1
I went to www.softhome.net and setup an account. I suggest you do the same or with another free online internet account. I tried MSN since MSN used to have a client that you could download for the Pocket PC. Well, I found it (after 2 hours of searching) installed it; and it didn't work. So, to www.softhome.net I went. That's step #1.

Step #2
After you obtain your account name at softhome.net (mine is [email protected]) you can then begin plugging in your data into your Pocket PC Phone.

Step #3
>Tap INBOX
>Tap SERVICES
>Tap NEW

EMAIL ADDRESS
>Enter your NEW SOFTHOME.NET email address ([email protected])
>Tap NEXT

USER INFORMATION
>YOUR NAME: Leave blank
>USER NAME: The first part of your @softhome.net email account (mine is dsnefmly as in [email protected])
>PASSWORD: The password to your softhome.net account
>Tap SAVE PASSWORD
>Tap NEXT

ACCOUNT INFORMATION
>SERVICE TYPE: POP3
>NAME: Softhome
>Tap NEXT

SERVER INFORMATION
>INCOMING MAIL (use your HOME POP3 Setting HERE): POP-SERVER.TAMPABAY.RR.COM (this is RoadRunners INCOMING mail server)
>OUTGOING MAIL (use the softhome.net setting here): MAIL.SOFTHOME.NET
>DOMAIN: Leave Blank

OPTIONS
>OUTGOING E-MAIL SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION: CHECK THIS!
>Tap NEXT
>Tap NEXT
>Tap FINISH

Erase any other account that you used previous to check for e-mail, use the Softhome.net account you've just created and enjoy. I sent a 1.6 meg 30 second movie via this setup on my Pocket PC and then received it on my wife's Pocket PC WITHOUT fail. So, again, remember your going to SEND mail via the SOFTHOME.NET account and RECEIVE mail via your standard ISP account. Hope this helps!

Qman
07-16-2003, 02:51 PM

Thanks,
Mark

Yes use myemail.t-mobile.com for your outgoing mail. :mrgreen:

Monty Gibson
07-16-2003, 04:45 PM

Thanks,
Mark

Yes use myemail.t-mobile.com for your outgoing mail. :mrgreen:

The last time I spoke with someone at T-Mobile about this they stated that at any given time this service "...may be disbanded." I don't know if I would trust it completely. If it works all the time then great! However, I think I'd rather have a dedicated SMTP account. Just my $0.02.

mm
07-25-2003, 04:03 AM
>>>1. Has anyone gotten the t-mobile ppc to send e-mail via earthlink

I have been using earthlink to send and receive email with my tmobile ppc phone for about a year now every day and several times per day both with the GPRS connection and a with a IR PSION modem from my home town near Seattle and many places around the country with local earthlink dialup numbers.

Had a problem until I entered in the outgoing mail box: smtpauth.earthlink.net and under options I check the "outgoing e-mail server requires authentication". All the other settings are similar to any other pop setup except under user name I enter my entire username.earthlink.net.

Michael Melvin[/quote]