View Full Version : Pocket PCs In Space

Brad Adrian
07-16-2003, 12:36 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030715/155219_1.html' target='_blank'>http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030715/155219_1.html</a><br /><br /></div>I've always thought that Pocket PCs were "out of this world," but soon that will be more than just a figure of speech.<br /><br />"HP plans to launch its HP iPAQ [5550] Pocket PCs into outer space onboard TransOrbital's TrailBlazer spacecraft, the first commercial mission to gain approval from U.S. authorities to explore, photograph and land on the moon, later this year"<br /><br />And what role, you ask, will the Pocket PCs play?<br /><br />"The handheld device will integrate with the TrailBlazer systems on board the spacecraft to enable TransOrbital to effortlessly synchronize and share data while in space, during transit to the moon and while orbiting the moon."<br /><br />Alright, I was okay with the idea until I saw the word "synchronize." ;) Seriously, I think this is pretty cool and represents a true recognition of the computing power of these devices. And, TrailBlazer will make even greater use of Pocket PCs on subsequent flights, on which they will provide wireless communication for cameras mounted outside the spacecraft.<br /><br />I can't help but wonder, though...If these are unmanned flights, who's going to stick the stylus into the tiny hole to do the soft resets?

csterns
07-16-2003, 01:20 AM
Kinda on the same subject - what kind of computers did they use on the Apollo missions? I've always wondered what kind or how poweful they were? Anybody have an idea?

sponge
07-16-2003, 01:52 AM
Synchronize? Uh oh.

"Houston, ActiveSync has a problem."

GoldKey
07-16-2003, 01:52 AM
I would like to know what investor is dumb enough to have any part of a space mission rely on the stability of a PPC.

Terry
07-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Kinda on the same subject - what kind of computers did they use on the Apollo missions? I've always wondered what kind or how poweful they were? Anybody have an idea?

A 74K custom computer...read more here:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/moon/computer.htm

Brad Adrian
07-16-2003, 02:08 AM
A 74K custom computer...
I had always known that even the simplest Pocket PC is much more powerful than the computers used to take Neil Armstrong et al. to the moon and back, but I never realized just how MUCH more powerful!

iPaqDude
07-16-2003, 02:41 AM
"Houston, ActiveSync has a problem."

Hahahahahaha.... crud.... now I've gotta clean coke out of another keyboard.... :rotfl:

Server
07-16-2003, 02:48 AM
GroundControl to iPAQ5550?.....

GroundControl: Transmit *Lock code value* 'Reset iPAQ'

iPAQ5550: Reset not responding - input fingerprint

GroundControl: Transmit *Lock code value* 'Hard Reset'

iPAQ5550: responding, HardReset complete!!
&lt;ding-dong> 'MS PocketPC HP (invent)'

GroundControl: Transmit *Lock code value* 'Full Restore from SD'

iPAQ5550: User unidentified/unknown try again.

GroundControl: Transmit *Lock code value* RESTORE!!!!!!

iPAQ5550: User unidentified/unknown swipe finger

GroundControl: Swiping middle finger....

,-.
| |_
|_|\\______
/ /\
\/ /
\_______Gr

/
/ :wink:

Jeff Rutledge
07-16-2003, 02:52 AM
Server: Looking at your avatar and reading this thread just makes me think:

IPAQ 5550: "What are you doing Dave?"

:mrgreen:

delfuhd
07-16-2003, 03:18 AM
I can't help but wonder, though...If these are unmanned flights, who's going to stick the stylus into the tiny hole to do the soft resets?

I couldn't help but laugh when I read that... So true.. So true... And syncing data with no one there to troubleshoot? I sure hope their using some more sturdy software than activesync... lol

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 03:36 AM
A 74K custom computer...
I had always known that even the simplest Pocket PC is much more powerful than the computers used to take Neil Armstrong et al. to the moon and back, but I never realized just how MUCH more powerful!
Most current consumer hardware is MUCH more powerful than the embedded systems used on craft like this. However, the embedded systems are a wee bit more reliable (and I don't mean compared to Pocket PCs specifically, I mean compared to any consumer handheld). "Embedded" also has specific notions of things like ultra-precise response time, etc.

--janak

Server
07-16-2003, 03:44 AM
Server: Looking at your avatar and reading this thread just makes me think:

IPAQ 5550: "What are you doing Dave?"

:mrgreen:

you don't say.... :mrgreen:

Jerry Raia
07-16-2003, 05:28 AM
HP had the HP 41 on the early space shuttle missions, guess they forgot about that. It was when they used to make things of very high quality.

David C
07-16-2003, 06:59 AM
Ok, it's cool, but I don't understand why a Pocket PC need to be used. If all they need are specific tasks, wouldn't a ce.net device be better? I don't think they would need pocket word, excell or book reader.

bjornkeizers
07-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Well, you never know who's out there.. and might like to have Excel or Reader installed :D 0X

beq
07-16-2003, 09:00 AM
ActiveSync via prototype Bluetooth 1.2? Must really be longer range then. I hear comets can generate some mean interference in the 2.4GHz band though...

mr_Ray
07-16-2003, 10:10 AM
"And, TrailBlazer will make even greater use of Pocket PCs on subsequent flights, on which they will provide wireless communication for cameras mounted outside the spacecraft. "

Ummm.. last time I checked there were no wifi hotspots on the moon. :)

Besides, since you're having to run a power cable through to the camera, why not send the data along with it? Sounds like a dumb idea to go wifi to me.

heliod
07-16-2003, 12:07 PM
They would probably go Bluetooth and not Wifi, for some reasons:

1. Bluetooth in non-atmosphere conditions could have its range increased to hundreds of meters with the same power consuming.

2. There are no WiFi protocols between cameras and Pocket PCs

3. Today, there are no cable USB client drivers between quality cameras and Pocket PCs either. They would need to be developed.

4. However, the transfer of the pictures as OBEX objects from some cameras to the PPC via Bluetooth is supported quite well already today. So the reason for going wireless would not be saving the cables, but rather saving the R&D work.

Duncan
07-16-2003, 03:58 PM
This whole TransOrbital thing makes me despair! The first commercial flight to the Moon - and what will they be doing? Littering the surface (with, among other things, business cards!)! :(

Also - just exactly why do they need permission from US authorities to travel to the Moon? Surely the US govt. doesn't think it owns the Moon...?

quidproquo
07-16-2003, 04:27 PM
I thought the same thing.....why do they need permission to go to the moon? I guess the US thinks they have land rights up there?

I think it is more in line with a federal law where companies need to advise the govt. on what they are doing and get permissino when it comes to satellites and weapons/military production/defense contractors, etc.

The govt. wants to make sure that they aren't going to do something that can then be sold to China or someone else and get an advantage. :armed:

JackTheTripper
07-16-2003, 04:54 PM
I'd heard somewhere that the space shuttle systems (Which were designed in the 80's) ran on a processor that is not manufactured anymore. They tried upgrading to newer processors (Pentiums?) but they were so delicate that space radiation caused them to fail. The older clunky slow processors worked best in space. So NASA had to go out and purchase some sort of Hospital equipment that used that chip (Heart monitors?) and rip them apart for the chip when the origionals failed.

Can anyone confirm this?

And if so, how can a PPC withstand space? The story I heard may be way off or maybe they found ways to protect electronics since then. Don't know. I'm no rocket scientest. :p

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 05:26 PM
I'd heard somewhere that the space shuttle systems (Which were designed in the 80's) ran on a processor that is not manufactured anymore. They tried upgrading to newer processors (Pentiums?) but they were so delicate that space radiation caused them to fail. The older clunky slow processors worked best in space. So NASA had to go out and purchase some sort of Hospital equipment that used that chip (Heart monitors?) and rip them apart for the chip when the origionals failed.
Seems reasonable. There's a lot of work in rad-hard (radiation tolerant) computing. It's especially a problem because the trend is to make the feature size on chips (ie, the transistors and wires connecting them) smaller and smaller, which makes them faster. However, the smaller they are, the larger a chunk of it a radiation particle can wipe out....

And if so, how can a PPC withstand space? The story I heard may be way off or maybe they found ways to protect electronics since then. Don't know. I'm no rocket scientest. :p
Good queston, and I don't have an answer for that. Maybe they put it in a lead box? ;)

mr_Ray
07-16-2003, 06:43 PM

I think they're hoping that the same nastiness that crashes it will trigger the soft reset system too. :)

TrojanUO
07-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Also - just exactly why do they need permission from US authorities to travel to the Moon? Surely the US govt. doesn't think it owns the Moon...?

They need to be licenced by the US Government, because they're a US company. If it was a Russian company, they'd need to be licenced by the appropriate Russian authorities to be chucking things into space on rockets.

As it happens, TransOrbital is riding into space on a Russian rocket.

From the FAQ on Space Law, which deals with the 5 International Treaties, and the 5 sets of principles governing outer space.

[i]The treaties control space-related activities of States. What about non-governmental entities active in outer space, like companies and even individuals?

The Outer Space Treaty states that States Parties shall bear international responsibility for national activities in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, whether such activities are carried out by governmental agencies or non-governmental entities, and for assuring that national activities are carried out in conformity with the provisions set forth in the treaty. The Treaty further states that the activities of non-governmental entities in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies shall require authorization and continuing supervision by the appropriate State Party. [i]

Office of Outer Space Affairs, United Nations. Space Law: FAQ (http://www.oosa.unvienna.org/FAQ/splawfaq.htm)

Duncan
07-16-2003, 08:43 PM
That's a relief to know!

Jonathon Watkins
07-17-2003, 12:37 AM
...So NASA had to go out and purchase some sort of Hospital equipment that used that chip (Heart monitors?) and rip them apart for the chip when the origionals failed.

Can anyone confirm this?

I remember that stroy - I think they were using 8086's. I Googled it but could not find anything however. :?

JackTheTripper
07-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Ya, I tried a bunch of searches before I posted but couldn't find it either. :(

Jonathon Watkins
07-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Well, if we both remember it, but can't find it on Google then we must be having a group hallucination! 8O :lol: