View Full Version : Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 Walkthrough

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/2003/windowsmobile2003.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/2...smobile2003.htm</a><br /><br /></div>A few people have been requesting that we do a Windows Mobile 2003 walkthrough, but I just don't have the bandwidth right now for such a big task - instead, I'd like to point you to one that I think is quite excellent. Take it away Charles!<br /><br />"Now that Pocket PC 2003 has been released, you are probably asking if you should upgrade your device to the new OS, should you buy an new Pocket PC 2003 device and sell your old one on eBay, or should you just stick with what you have. Hopefully this article will help answer those questions and help you decide which option is best for you."

klinux
07-16-2003, 12:15 AM
Very nice.

I would have liked to see if the IE View and Tools menu expanded in PPC 2003 to see if there are additional changed there.

Charles Pickrell
07-16-2003, 07:50 AM
I have sbp Plus and it adds extra features to IE in Pocket PC 2002. I should have turned it off before I started taking screenshots so I could show those menus. I'll check the menus, and report back here.

Charles Pickrell
07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
The only change in the menus is the addition of Show Images in the View menu since it's button is not on the menu strip at the bottom any more.

klinux
07-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Thanks Charles for doing the walk through and answering of the questions (and Jason for providing the link/site)!

disconnected
07-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Charles. But about this so-called new and improved connection manager........

Has anyone written complete instructions for it? I have been trying to connect my new iPAQ 5550 to wireless hotspots for two weeks, with no success. Everything works fine at home (internet, sync, and file shares), but I can't get the settings right for other networks (seems to default to whatever it automatically set up for my home network somewhow). I'm about to lose my mind. (I was able to accomplish the same thing -- home plus tmobile -- on my old iPAQ 3975 and Linksys card, and I don't remember it being this complicated).

As it happens, I'm on vacation and, for the first time ever, in my hotel room (in Whistler, BC) there is actually a little card saying that High Speed Wireless Internet Access is available in my room! :frusty:

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Disconnected, I know you've been suffering for some time. Have you given HP a call? They might be able to point you in the right direction. (Unfortunately, I don't own a Pocket PC 2003 device yet, so I can't say. :()

--janak

ctmagnus
07-16-2003, 08:57 PM
As it happens, I'm on vacation... (in Whistler, BC)

Somebody's rich :wink:

disconnected
07-17-2003, 02:40 AM
I'm not rich, I'm just old; due to poor planning I have realized I will never be able to afford to retire, so I am continuing to work and just taking vacations now and then. And buying toys like iPAQs. :)

By the way (and continuing off-topic), I see you live in BC, ctmagnus. What a gorgeous place this is! I've spent a few days in Vancouver (which has to be the most livable city in North America) and a few days in Whistler (the village is a little Disneyworldish, but the surroundings are beautiful). Next we go to Tofino and Victoria, and then back to Seattle for a few days before flying home. I'm considering looking for the Microsoft campus and staging a protest about Connection Manager -- to get somewhat back to the subject of PPC. :oops:

ctmagnus
07-17-2003, 05:27 AM
I'm not rich, I'm just old

I had to reread that. At first glance, I saw I'm not rich, I'm just filthy :wink:

By the way (and continuing off-topic), I see you live in BC, ctmagnus. What a gorgeous place this is!

I keep meaning to take the digital camera for a walk with the dog, but I always forget. I hope to *eventually* start a "post yer pic" type of thread, involving where you live. When it's a nice, sunny day with a few clouds in the sky, this valley is absolutely gorgeous. Not gonna be that way for a while, though, 'cuz forest fire season just started today.