View Full Version : Pocket PC Magazine Announces the Nominations for Best Software Awards 2003

Jason Dunn
07-16-2003, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcmag.com/news/pressrelease_awards2003.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/news/pre..._awards2003.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"Pocket PC magazine has published the list of nominations for its Third Annual Best Software Awards. Over 400 pieces of end-user Windows Mobile™ Pocket PC software have been nominated in categories ranging from Action Games to Calculators to Music Composition to Bibles. The process began in May, when Pocket PC magazine editors and their Board of Experts started with over 1600 pieces of Pocket PC software from the Encyclopedia of Software and Accessories database. <br /><br />This year, in addition to judging End-User Pocket PC software, experts will choose winners in the following Windows Mobile software categories: Smartphone, Developer, Health, and Enterprise Deployment. Also, for the first time this year, Windows Mobile Pocket PC or Smartphone users can discuss the nominations by visiting the Awards Nomination section at the Pocket PC magazine discussion forum."

iPaqDude
07-16-2003, 02:37 AM
Hey - maybe we could do our own voting as well???? See how close the esteemed members of this forum rate the software entries in comparison to the experts that Pocket PC mag has voting??

Just a "thought"..... :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
07-16-2003, 02:40 AM
That's not a bad idea. It would be especially interesting to see how the Mods fair in their predictions. 8)

ctmagnus
07-16-2003, 04:40 AM
That's not a bad idea. It would be especially interesting to see how the Mods fair in their predictions. 8)

Yeah, watch us blow their @sses out of the water. :D

Max Kirichenko
07-16-2003, 06:17 AM
I was very frustrated not seeing VITO's titles in the list of nominants, only one of the earliest version of SoundExplorer posted in January. :confused totally: Do they really take all apps from their "software encyclopedia" that is barely renewed twice in a century??

I'm soooooooo confused! :(

Hal Goldstein
07-17-2003, 03:06 PM
I was very frustrated not seeing VITO's titles in the list of nominants, only one of the earliest version of SoundExplorer posted in January. :confused totally: Do they really take all apps from their "software encyclopedia" that is barely renewed twice in a century??
:(

I am sorry we missed Vito titles in our Encyclopedia. Diane Dumas spends an inordinate amount of her time adding new products and updating in the database. There are 10-20 products released that we know of and added each week. Vendors can add products to the data base by going to http://www.pocketpcmag.com/encyclopedia.asp and click the Submit button. (By the way REAL SOON NOW, we are going to make the submission form more user friendly and Diane-friendly.)

Diane and Nitin Gupta spent a month coming up with the nominees from our database. Then we turned to our judges to tell us what additional products should be nominated. We added their suggestions to our database and selected them.

Hal Goldstein
Publisher/Exec Editor
Pocket PC magazine
Awards site at www.pocketpcmag.com/awards.

Hal Goldstein
07-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey - maybe we could do our own voting as well???? See how close the esteemed members of this forum rate the software entries in comparison to the experts that Pocket PC mag has voting??

Actually, we are still thinking about doing a People's Choice this year as we did the first year of the awards. Yesterday, we just opened Awards discussions on our forums:
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=10 (although so far I am about the only participant&lt;g>).

Frankly, one of the reasons we didn't offer a People's Choice last year and are hesistent this year, is that unpleasantness that came about when people felt others were being fair, etc. Lots of discussion took place at this forum.

I am open for ideas on how to run a People's Choice that's fun and informative for all. We will have voting mechanism set up for when judges vote that we could apply to People's Choice.

Hal Goldstein
Exec Editor/Publisher
Pocket PC magazine, www.pocketpcmag.com