View Full Version : PocketPCs and Active Directory

lbcox
07-15-2003, 08:40 PM
We're moving to Microsoft Active Directory and was wondering what all the issues there are for our PPC users who try to log in, browse corp resources, authentication, etc. Rather than do a bunch of trial and error activity, I thought I'd start here.

that_kid
07-15-2003, 09:53 PM
I have no problems using my ppc with active direcotry, except for dfs shares. The pocketpc doesn't have all the stuff necessary to access dfs shares so if you use dfs shares you will have to use the alternate shares. I'm not sure what else you may log onto, I am able to login to my exchange server via owa and imap and both works very well. If you have any other ideas or if you want me to try something let me know.

Jerry Raia
07-16-2003, 12:59 AM
I also log into exchange with IMAP. How do you like the OWA? I've never tried it.

that_kid
07-16-2003, 01:10 AM
It's ok, I try not to use it unless I really need to because of the scrolling involved. Netfront browser works well with owa, much better than IE. I have a computer setup on the side with win2k3 and exchange 2k3 and I tell you that the new exchange is NICE, very nice and I can't wait for it to come out.

Jerry Raia
07-16-2003, 01:13 AM
I was wondering about ex 2k3 too. What I had hoped was for better support for exchange on PPC 2k3. No such luck.

that_kid
07-16-2003, 01:58 AM
It's a 2 way thing. PPC2k3 adds some nice support for syncing directly with exchange and a regular pc. You can actually have the ppc wake up and use a wireless connection for syncing on a schedule. With exchange 2k3 syncing is really nice with mis and exchange now as one. I've tried this with my test ipaq which has ppc2k3 on it as well. Plus exchange 2003 has outlook mobile access which is a text driven system. Works rather nice on my sprint phone. You can add just about any type of item using oma as you can using owa. This is getting closer to what I want which is a blackberry type system.

Jerry Raia
07-16-2003, 02:51 AM
I suppose what i need is mis or exch 2k3 to get close to what i want on the PPC