View Full Version : Cheap 2210 in UK at last (Can it be true? :-0)

mr_Ray
07-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Well, cheaper than the normal rippoff prices we get for these things anyway. :evil:
Everywhere else (dixons, expansys, dabs) seems to be at around £365, but this place seems to have them in at £327. They say stock in 2 days, but that's still less than expansys. :wink:

Savastore link (http://www.savastore.com/products/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Savastore&product%5Fid=10268194&pid=44)

Just about to place my order, and thought I'd let anyone else out there know. At least we're getting closer to the US price now. :D

Andy Whiteford
07-15-2003, 05:05 PM
I would be wary of the price as they have the h1940 even dearer than the h2210 which seems weird given that it's $100 cheaper in the US???

mr_Ray
07-15-2003, 05:37 PM
I would be wary of the price as they have the h1940 even dearer than the h2210 which seems weird given that it's $100 cheaper in the US???

Hmmmm I guess that is a little odd. Well they're linked directly from HP's UK site so I guess they can't be too dangerous.... :|

Hopefully this isn't an amazon type thing, and I'll have it in a few days. After that I don't care :lol:

Andy Whiteford
07-15-2003, 05:41 PM
Let me know how you get on. My local Dixons finally have the h2210 in stock so will pop in tomorrow to check it out but still waiting for the h1940.

Iznot Gold
07-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Yeah please keep us updated as to your progress. My local Dixons hasn't yet got the 2210 in stock, I'd like some hands on time before buying it.
Andy - whats swaying towards the 1940 over the 2210?

Regards
David

Andy Whiteford
07-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Not sure. I have both the Axim and h1910 at the moment so a h2210 would seem like the obvious model to replace both. I just love the form factor of the h1910 though and the only thing I use the CF slot in the Axim for is Wifi access or GPS. I can use the Bluetooth in the h1940 to network(albeit slower) and also hook up to a Bluetooth GPS which I would prefer so don't see any other reason for going with the h2210. I may change my mind once I've had a play with both and more importantly, compared their screens. From what I've read neither can match up to the screen on the h1910 but then the lure of a faster processor, WM2003 and built in radio in such a small device is too tempting to stick with my existing units.

Andy Whiteford
07-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Well checked out the local Dixons and much to my surprise, they had the h1940 in as well as the h2210. I did a quick comparison with these devices against my h1910. Initial thoughts are favourable for the two new devices. In the hand, the h2210 is smaller than I was expecting, quite close to the size of the h1910. Enough to make me seriously consider it. Both devices were very snappy in performance, definitely responded quicker than my h1910 although my device is loaded with apps. I had a CF card full of music to test out on the h2210 and the audio/speaker quality is very good. I wasn't prepared for the h1940 because all my music on SD card is in .ogg format so no real thoughts there.
Screens. Well the h1910 is the best by a very obvious amount. Still, from a comparison with the h1940, I think people perhaps have been a little over critical of the h1940. Yes there is an obvious yellow hue and the whites are just not as vibrant unless straight on. As soon as you tilt the the device the yellow becomes apparant. I found though if you tilt the screen towards you, the tint became blue instead of yellow. This I would attribute to the LCD filter and is not something I have noticed before in a device i.e. blue and yellow tint in one. The h2210 has the whiter screen of the two new devices but I think the h1940 has the better quality image overall. I didn't see anything of great concern to put me off buying either. I must stress that these were compared under bright shop lighting though and a duller environment would highlight the difference in screens better.
I can't offer much more at the moment as I never got a chance to put the machines through their paces. I don't need the extras of the h2210 but the difference in size is minimum so it's still a candidate for my first WM2003 device. That being said, the h1940 has the extra button and more memory. Hmmmmm.

mr_Ray
07-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Hmmmm, just checked my order status and they say they're expecting delivery tomorrow, which is good.
However they've fixed the price of the 1940, and removed the 2210 from their site.

Wonder what's going on?? :?

carphead
07-16-2003, 06:49 PM
I purchased my 2210 from Dixons in Ipswich last Saturday. I love this device. :D

Best device on the market. Just waiting for a decent case to come along.

PIE is wonderful now and the speed is excellent.

Iznot Gold
07-17-2003, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the updates guys. Andy your comments are making me more inclined towards the the 2210. I was wondering if the size difference & screen quality would favour the 1940. On the screen issue, is the smaller screen of the 2210 & 1940 some thing that is an issue when you've been used to the larger screens on 3800 series?
Regards
David
PS, I'm taking a trip to Dixons today to see if they got them in stock in York yet.
PPS, 2210 link is still there on Saverstore offering 2210 at the same price? Please keep us posted Mr Ray

carphead
07-17-2003, 09:14 AM
David,

I've gone from a 3970 to a 2210. I've not noticed the difference in the screen size. Having slightly more Pixels Per Inch the text is clearer. The form factor is better for me.

Regards,
Daniel

mr_Ray
07-17-2003, 12:23 PM
PPS, 2210 link is still there on Saverstore offering 2210 at the same price? Please keep us posted Mr Ray

Hey, you're right - it's back again, and still priced at £279+VAT! Obviously wasn't a pricing mistake then, and the genuinely are cheaper than elsewhere. 8O

And more to the point, despite it saying 2-3 days on the details, my order status is now "being picked" with an ETA of tomorrow. Looks promising!! :mrgreen:

Andy Whiteford
07-17-2003, 01:27 PM
It's a shame the h1940 isn't suitably reduced as well. I still can't decide which to go for.

Dazbot
07-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Just been to Dixons and had a play with the 2210, I'm really impressed with the size and speed of it. Even with 6 or so applications open and playing music at the same time, it was fast at moving through menus and the bluetooth screens. Its tiny compared to my iPAQ 3850

I hope Savastore have got the price correct, that is the best deal I have seen for the 2210.

The guy in the shop wondered if it ran XP :!:

reefman
07-17-2003, 03:30 PM
I purchased my 2210 from Dixons in Ipswich last Saturday. I love this device. :D

Best device on the market. Just waiting for a decent case to come along.

PIE is wonderful now and the speed is excellent.

Got one myself just over a week ago Dixons - middlesbrough had two in stock as didi the Metro Centre), having switched from a Psion 5mx great little machine agree about he case though, I seen to catch the large centre button onthe edge of the cae every time I pop it in - which I dont expect is good long term. Anyone know of a good practical case and where to get one (uk preferably).

Cheers

Dazbot
07-20-2003, 04:47 PM
I found a h2210 for £18.80 more (£346.63) including delivery at Mobile Data Direct who have them in stock here (http://www.mobiledatadirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=HP%20iPAQ%20H2210%20Pocket%20PC%20PDA%20&prod_code=PON03F000070).

They also have the h1940 for 323.13 but there's a 7-10 day wait for it.

I noticed Savastore still haven't got any unless the page hasn't been updated

mr_Ray
07-20-2003, 11:12 PM
I found a h2210 for £18.80 more (£346.63) including delivery at Mobile Data Direct who have them in stock here (http://www.mobiledatadirect.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=HP%20iPAQ%20H2210%20Pocket%20PC%20PDA%20&prod_code=PON03F000070).

They also have the h1940 for 323.13 but there's a 7-10 day wait for it.

I noticed Savastore still haven't got any unless the page hasn't been updated

Well they must have got them in late Friday or over the weekend - mine is currently with CityLink waiting to be delivered tomorrow. Hooray, new toy time!
8)

Dazbot
07-20-2003, 11:21 PM
I think I will order mine from Savastore when you get yours delievered, just so I can confirm that its not too good to be true. :D

Andy Whiteford
07-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Well it's a sad day when Dixons not only have the h1940 in stock but they are currently the cheapest place to buy it! What is going on in the world? :)

Dazbot
07-21-2003, 06:48 PM
My local Dixons also had the h1940 but it was sealed in the box, so I couldn't look at it. :(

Iznot Gold
07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
I got to handle both the 2210 and the 1940 at my local Dixons at the weekend (although the 1940 had just arrived and had no power). I really liked the 19xx form factor compared to the 2210 (I don't think the rubber sides are particularly sexy). Despite this, if I was buying for the first time, I'd buy the 2210. The extra features of the 2210 win out over the sexy form factor. However, I was not struck by that ...must have now feeling (....well just a litle bit!). But a little while spent with the trusty old 3870...and a coffee and a cigarette later....and I'm not going to make the change yet. I do occasionally play mp3s, use the bluetooth modem and headset facilities, view pictures and documents but mainly use the PIM functions...and Agendo Fusion version 5.05 rocks on my 3870. So do I really need to update my pda, when my needs are not particularly demanding and pda's haven't advanced that greatly? Where as my PC, on the other hand,......is a veritable Dinosaur!
Regards
David

hollis_f
07-22-2003, 07:55 AM
However, I was not struck by that ...must have now feeling (....well just a litle bit!). I agree. When I first saw the 3970 my credit card flew out of my wallet. I've been back to look at the 2210 a few times, but it just doesn't have the same effect.

mr_Ray
07-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Well I never had a 3970 but I do like my new 2210!

Arrived all ok, and is the full retail product, for those who weren't so sure about savastore. I'm glad I got such a (comparative) bargain :lol: :D :mrgreen:

Dazbot
07-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Well I never had a 3970 but I do like my new 2210!

Arrived all ok, and is the full retail product, for those who weren't so sure about savastore. I'm glad I got such a (comparative) bargain
I've ordered mine today, but the ETA is 31st July :cry:

How long did yours take to arrive?

pumajet
07-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Ordered mine on Monday and got an e-mail at 6pm tonight to say it was due to be delivered tomorrow... pity it was actually sent out last night and delivery was attempted today while I was out!! :cry:

Mine was despatched straight from the supplier/satellite warehouse so it appears that Savastore don't quite know when it was actually despatched!

Ah well - something to look forward to tomorrow!!

Dazbot
07-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Mine is also coming from the satellite warehouse so it may come before the end of the month.

It still says 2-3 days till they have it in stock, which must be wrong.

mr_Ray
07-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Mine is also coming from the satellite warehouse so it may come before the end of the month.

It still says 2-3 days till they have it in stock, which must be wrong.

It's said 2-3 days ever since I placed my order :D

I ordered mine on the 16th (well technically a few minutes before midnight on the 15th) and it was delivered 9am on the 22nd. I guess that makes it 4 working days.

I didn't know 'til I got mine that you get to choose your own free software with it too. I've picked up Sim City 2000 & two other games I was going to get anyway. :mrgreen:

Dazbot
07-24-2003, 04:13 PM
On the tracking page it says ETA 31/07/03, it was 25/07/03 when I first looked after buying it and it says awaiting stock.

They still haven't updated the page, even though they have had it in stock. Maybe they are selling loads of them and keep running out.

Whats this about free software? I didn't see that :?

mr_Ray
07-24-2003, 05:48 PM
On the tracking page it says ETA 31/07/03, it was 25/07/03 when I first looked after buying it and it says awaiting stock.

They still haven't updated the page, even though they have had it in stock. Maybe they are selling loads of them and keep running out.

Whats this about free software? I didn't see that :?

Oh well. Either way you save 30 quid or so whenever it gets in stock. I'ts up to you to wait a week, or buy elsewhere for more but get it sooner (I see expansys has it in stock now). Money or time tradeoff.

The free software I hadn't heard off 'til I saw it on the box - check out iPAQ Choice (http://www.ipaqchoice.com/welcome.aspx) for details. You get 5 points to spend on PPC software of your choice. Being a game junkie I've went for SimCity2000, Toki Tori and Snails. Well worth it and helps offset the higher price of the 2210 to some extent.

Be careful not to buy a US import from elsewhere though, it seems to be a UK/Asia/Africa offer only. Quite surprising, it's normally the reverse.

Dazbot
07-24-2003, 11:03 PM
I'd rather get it cheaper and wait about 4 weeks for it, then get it now and spend £35 more in Dixons. I'm not that desperate as I've still got my 3850, but it would be nice to get it soon.

FredMurphy
07-25-2003, 11:01 AM
For those of you in London, there are quite a few shops on Tottenham Court Road that do good deals. When I was there a couple of days ago they would almost match the SavaStore price (despite stickers on the boxes saying £429 so you think you're getting a great deal). Worth a try if you're nearby.

GingerTommy
07-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Or go for a holiday.
On the way back stop at Dixons Tax Free in the airport at get a 2210 for 314GBP.

mr_Ray
07-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Or go for a holiday.
On the way back stop at Dixons Tax Free in the airport at get a 2210 for 314GBP.

That is an excellent option. If I were going on holiday I would have done just that.

After just having experienced bad customer service from savastore, I take back my suggestion for people to buy from them. :evil:

Dazbot
07-27-2003, 12:27 AM
I've watching to the order tracking since I ordered my h2210, just to check if they had any in yet and on saturday afternoon my order had disappeared completely.

I hope it's a temporary problem, or else I'm going to buy from somewhere else, even if its more expensive.

Dazbot
07-27-2003, 06:22 PM
It has returned, but I've still got to wait till next month before it arrives. :evil:

Dazbot
07-30-2003, 02:41 PM
It has arrived, ahead of Savstores ETA :D :D

The case is rubbish though, looks like I'll have to find a new one for it.

andykemp
07-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know if Dixons will be carrying the 5550? I notice that PC World now have it listed at £519.99...
I am flying to Scotland in 2 weeks and so am going to wait to get my new Ipaq (and maybe a 2210 for the wife) if it looks like they will have them...

mr_Ray
07-31-2003, 12:28 PM
It has arrived, ahead of Savstores ETA :D :D

The case is rubbish though, looks like I'll have to find a new one for it.

Your sig is out of sync, you might want to fix it! :mrgreen:

I'm waiting for another 2210 from savastore - they agreed in the end to replace my faulty 2210 after originally claiming, and I quote word for word, that "a faulty pixel is not a faulty pixel". What the hell is it then, a pink elephant?
Well it was sent off to them today, so hopefully I'll get a replacement sometime soon!

Dazbot
07-31-2003, 01:04 PM

I've been monitoring the battery life and it doesn't seem to be that good, Pocket Plus reported about 6 hours runtime (with the backlight on lowest settings and bluetooth turned off) when fully charged, I was expecting 8-9 hours, is this about right?

Apart from having to restart my router every time I plug my D-Link 660W card in most things are working fine, except Resco (it won't allow networking or let me close it, but I think need the latest version.

mr_Ray
07-31-2003, 01:55 PM

I've been monitoring the battery life and it doesn't seem to be that good, Pocket Plus reported about 6 hours runtime (with the backlight on lowest settings and bluetooth turned off) when fully charged, I was expecting 8-9 hours, is this about right?

Apart from having to restart my router every time I plug my D-Link 660W card in most things are working fine, except Resco (it won't allow networking or let me close it, but I think need the latest version.

I didn't have my hands on my 2210 long enough before I sent it for replacement to say much about the battery life for certain. However reading ebooks with a roughly equal split between backlight at medium/no backlight I went for about 6-7 hours and still had more than half charge left.
I also got a full 2 hour film in WMV at fullscreen, full brightness, but that left me only about 25% charge left.

It depends a heck of a lot on how you use it.

Dazbot
08-01-2003, 01:01 AM
The free software I hadn't heard off 'til I saw it on the box - check out iPAQ Choice for details. You get 5 points to spend on PPC software of your choice. Being a game junkie I've went for SimCity2000, Toki Tori and Snails. Well worth it and helps offset the higher price of the 2210 to some extent.
I can't find anything on the box about free software, was it part of the packaging or a sticker?

BTW how do I add who I'm quoting?

hollis_f
08-01-2003, 07:39 AM
I can't find anything on the box about free software, was it part of the packaging or a sticker?

The free software points are explained in a leaflet inside the box. I don't recall any info on the outside - perhaps HP want to keep it a secret?

Look at the top right of this post (assuming you're not using the mobile fora, can't remember if it's there for that mode). There should be a button marked 'quote'.

Anthony Caruana
08-01-2003, 08:47 AM
I find the discussion about free software with the iPAQ 2210 for UK buyers interesting. The first 1000 2210 buyers in AUstrlaia get a free Veo Pocket Traveler CF Camera :D

If worse comes to worse I can sell the camera for about $150 AUD making the 2210 a real sweet deal.

BTW - for comparison the 2210 retails here for $799 AUD. If you are a corporate customer of Compaq/HP you can negotiate a discount of up 15% on that.

mr_Ray
08-01-2003, 11:25 AM
The free software I hadn't heard off 'til I saw it on the box - check out iPAQ Choice for details. You get 5 points to spend on PPC software of your choice. Being a game junkie I've went for SimCity2000, Toki Tori and Snails. Well worth it and helps offset the higher price of the 2210 to some extent.

Since this seems to be a UK (& Europe?) only promotion from what I can tell, do you maybe have a US import - where did you buy from? Its not a time limited offer, so it's not as if you got yours late.

It's mentioned in a small red circle bottom left on the front of the retail box. Others had the ipaq choice pamphlet in the box too, although mine was missing and I had to email them to get the number.

Dazbot
08-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Well, I've not no choice pamphlet or label :( , I got it from Savastore so who knows where they got it from.

mr_Ray
08-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Well, I've not no choice pamphlet or label :( , I got it from Savastore so who knows where they got it from.

Weird, that's where I got mine from too. I guess they just don't like you as much as they like me. :wink: