View Full Version : How to enable DHCP on Pocket PC 2003 ???

LaserProUSA
07-15-2003, 07:47 AM
I just picked up the new iPAQ 5555 unit and cannot get the Wifi to work. I've tried using the IP Dashboard, the vxIPConfig & vxUtil apps. They all say that the DHCP is not enabled. What gives? Anyone have any ideas? I'm a PalmOS user and everyone had told me that the PocketPC is the better platform for corporate use and of course Internet use.

I desparately need some help here.

Under IP Dashboard the DHCP Control states:
Adapter iPAQ USB Wireless Adapter
Adapter diconnected

When it manages to get any connections the information is useless to connect to my linksys router:

IP Address: 169.254.85.219
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: blank
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255

Keep in mind that I have 3 servers, 3 workstations, Sony Clie NZ90 PDA and 1 notebook all connecting just fine and dandy to my linksys router. Only the iPAQ 5555 is giving me grief.
Get

Sooner Al
07-15-2003, 11:16 AM
More than likely the reason you can not get a valid IP from your access point is because of either a problem with a mismatched ESSID/SSID/Network Name and/or WEP key...

Wireless Encryption troubleshooting...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_encrypt.htm

Mixing Encryption levels...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/mixed_wep.htm

WEP Key generator...

http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html

jt3
07-15-2003, 01:41 PM
No... I have had the same problem, and found that enterring the IP information manually works. Don't get me wrong, this CAN be an SSID or WEP problem, but not necessarily.

I simply found that sometimes, the iPAQ is incapable of pulling an IP through DHCP. Maybe its an incompatibility with certain hardware or software configurations. Who knows? All I know is that in my environment, I had to set up the IP information (including DNS and WINS) for everything to work. This was true with the 5400 as well as the new 5500 series iPAQs. I know that it's not an SSID or WEP problem with me, because in the 5400 series, you don't have to touch the SSID or WEP string in order to change the IP settings... so it's easy to set them back to DHCP, and watch the iPAQ fail to connect, even though it's using the same SSID and WEP string.

For the 5555, this is a little tricky. First, you need to delete any existing network profile. To do this, turn on WLAN, then go to Start --> Settings --> Connections --> Connections --> Advanced --> Network Card. If your WLAN transmitter is turned on, you'll see (under the Wireless tab) the network that the iPAQ has discovered. Tap-n-hold on that connection to bring up a "Remove Settings" prompt. Click that, then turn WLAN off.

Next, still under the "Advanced" tab in "Connections", tap on "Network Card," then on "iPAQ USB Wireless Adaptor." Configure all the blanks (both tabs!) with settings required for your network. Keep in mind, the point here is to "Use specific IP address," so you'll need to have a static IP for this.

Once this screen is set up, exit out, and restart your WLAN (you might want to soft reset first, for good measure, but I don't think it matters). Your WLAN should now pick up your static IP settings, and connect normally. (Of course, you'll need to set up your WEP string again, since you deleted it, along with your network profile.)

Like I said, I don't know why this is necessary for some iPAQs and not others, but the important thing is that using DHCP, I could NEVER connect (even though my two wireless laptops have no problem), but with a static IP, I'm ALWAYS able to connect. Weird, but true.