View Full Version : Ugly Purple Splotch?

ctmagnus
07-15-2003, 05:26 AM
I had my trusty iPaq in my hip pocket for a while, in its cover pack. Nothing else was in the pocket. When I got home and opened up the cover, the bottom of the screen had an ugly purple splotch on it. Has anyone else experienced this?

:cry:

http://www.magnusson.ca/Images/Purple_Splotch.JPG

Janak Parekh
07-15-2003, 05:31 AM
Uh-oh! Sounds like you might have LCD trouble if it doesn't go away. :cry: Is it possible too much pressure was applied to the screen? (I have to admit, don't see how you could have with the cover pack -- it protects the screen very well.)

--janak

ctmagnus
07-15-2003, 06:34 AM
Uh-oh! Sounds like you might have LCD trouble if it doesn't go away. :cry: Is it possible too much pressure was applied to the screen? (I have to admit, don't see how you could have with the cover pack -- it protects the screen very well.)

--janak

I concur about the cover pack thing. It may have happened when I dropped it into the cradle. Power/ActiveSync didn't pick up right away so I wriggled it a bit but I don't see how that could affect it. It's not like I forcefully twisted it or anything.

Screen is still fine. I did the transcriber test and it still responds.

I've still got ~15 months warranty on it :way to go: so I'll phone HP tomorrow. And hope the 5550 arrives soon. (which reminds me - I should phone HandHeldCanada and ask wtf is up with their Aug 31 shipping date for that.)

umichboy
07-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Looks like you have an LCD crack. Reminds me of my old Palm Pilot Professional. I'll never wear a PDA using a belt clip again... I went to play basketball with buddies and emptied my pocket and removed my watch of course. But I forgot to take my Palm Pilot off my belt and whamo. Cracked the LCD when I collided with someone else.

These things happen most often when too much pressure is applied, or the screen is bent and pulled. If you twisted your iPaq, that might have done it although I don't think twisting it while in the cradle would be a large enough twist.

Might have cracked at the very bottom, which lets you use pretty much all of the screen still.

Jason Dunn
07-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Alas poor iPAQ, I knew ye well... 8O

Dave Beauvais
07-15-2003, 07:11 PM
I agree that it looks like a crack in the LCD. Heat can also cause dark spots to appear, but that generally affects the entire LCD, not just a concentrated spot like that. :)

--Dave

ctmagnus
07-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Ok, I just phoned Compaq and there's a replacement coming. :D

I've never experienced a cracked LCD before! In two years of using these things!

Thx for all the help. :D

Jeff Rutledge
07-15-2003, 08:51 PM
I must say, I have always been impressed with Compaq's technical support in Canada. They've been very accomodating and their turnaround times have always been good. Considering some of the moves HP makes, this is a welcome trend.

ctmagnus
07-18-2003, 12:58 AM
I must say, I have always been impressed with Compaq's technical support in Canada. They've been very accomodating and their turnaround times have always been good. Considering some of the moves HP makes, this is a welcome trend.

Argh. I phoned Tuesday afternoon, to do a NBD exchange. Got a phone call from Purolator today (Thursday) that the unit's in Grand Forks and they don't know where to send it. So I'll see it tomorrow at the earliest. That's three days, not next day. :bad-words:

ctmagnus
10-23-2004, 06:44 AM
:rotfl: I was tweaking my sig in Maxthon, I somehow invoked the search feature and this was one of the two hits that it came up with.