View Full Version : Good text editor/basic WP?

gdenerval
07-14-2003, 03:34 AM
Dear All,

I'm desperate to find a good freeware or cheap text editor/basic WP for my Pocket PC, so I can do some proper writing in it. :evil: Of course, Pocket Word is abysmal, but TextMaker gave me grief as well, and the text editors I tried won't wrap text to screen width. All I need is a simple cut/copy/paste basic WP to actually write with! Something that won't mess up my text by trying to put it into different default font sizes and otherwise format it in a way that's pointless for the PocketPC screen, and that will wrap the text to the screen so I can see what I'm writing. Oh, and that will accept Transcriber input happily. Is that too much to ask for? I sometimes wonder ...

Pony99CA
07-14-2003, 07:45 AM
All I need is a simple cut/copy/paste basic WP to actually write with!
So what specifically is the problem with Pocket Word? For that matter, what's wrong with the Notes application?

Steve

spursdude
07-14-2003, 07:55 AM
You could try PocketNotepad (http://www.tillanosoft.com/ce/pnotepad.html).... it's very simple, and I like it for that.

jnunn
07-14-2003, 10:15 AM
I do considerable writing on my iPAQ and I have also looked around for a wordprocessor that would afford me more flexibility. I still use Pocket Word since TextMaker does not do what I need. I have devised tools from GigaBar and Fitaly to satisfy the majority of my needs, however.

The cut/copy/paste functions that you are looking for are pretty easily set up using GigaBar. I set up a GigaBar theme where one icon (the PC icon, actually) satisfies these functions:
Tap: Undo
Double Tap: Select All
Tap Left: Copy
Tap Right: Paste
Tap Up or Down: Cut

These taps are intuitive to me so I do not have to look them up. Notice that with GigaBar these functions are available to you with any program: Word, TextMaker, Excel, NotePad, etc. I also use Fitaly for formatting outlines. I use a technique so that I always know what indention level I am at. It works well enough and it allows me to outline without having a ton of white space on my small screen. If you are interested I can put up a post about it but it is a little involved to talk about here (and this late!).

There are a few functions that I cannot satisfy with either GigaBar or Fitaly but I am thinking of setting up HandiBase database to do that. Before my iPAQ days I was a Franklin Planner person and otherwise had a notebook at my side or a tiny one in my pocket. I would use a four color pen so that I could use one notebook and still include the different writing I would do:
Black: professional
Blue: personal
Green: creative writing
Red: urgent (normally professional)

Using color schemes, I could throw in a green thought while stuck in a meeting without having to lug around a separate notebook. The color made it easy to find these entries later. Now, I want a text entry program where I could program buttons so that I could press a button and change the font color to a specified color. I do not believe very many other people will need such a function so I stopped looking and am thinking about writing a solution for it. I currently get around this limitation by using Fitaly: when I move onto a new topic I have a shortcut set up where it gives an indicator. It is not color coded but it is searchable in a long Word document that I use as my daily log.

A good site for topics of this nature is at www.writingonyourpalm.net where the site administrator uses both Palm and PPC but tends to bias towards PPC.