View Full Version : Windows Mobile 2003 T-Mobile Upgrade - For Free?

Jason Dunn
07-14-2003, 10:00 AM
This is an unofficial response from an unofficial source, but I asked a contact of mine at T-Mobile what plans they had for Windows Mobile 2003, and he told me that the upgrade would be offered at the end of July, and it would be free to T-Mobile subscribers. 8O If that's really the case, way to go T-Mobile! I would caution people not to get too excited though until there's an official confirmation of this - it honestly surprises me that T-Mobile is going to make the upgrade free.

Ed Hansberry
07-14-2003, 12:48 PM
I would caution people not to get too excited though until there's an official confirmation of this - it honestly surprises me that T-Mobile is going to make the upgrade free.
Not me. I have always felt T-Mobile's tech and customer support were top notch. I wouldn't expect a free upgrade, but it doesn't surprise me that there is one.

rfischer
07-14-2003, 01:33 PM
I agree with Ed. T-Mobile has been top notch. Especially now having launched a $19.99 "all-you-can-eat" plan. They have shown sincere dedication in providing us customers with the service and features we want. :way to go:

Bob Anderson
07-14-2003, 01:59 PM
This doesn't surprise me. T-Mobile, as contrasted with HP or Toshiba, is in the business of keeping customers, that is, they are subscription based. They want to eliminate any chance that a customer would "walk" to another provider as a result of a customer service misstep. The whole cellular industry is faced with these issues, which makes a rumored free upgrade realistic.

After all, doesn't it make sense to forgo $29 to keep your $50 a month customer for another year or two?

Way to go T-Mobile!

canadapocketpc
07-14-2003, 02:00 PM
I agree with the previous posts....

It has been proven (using a developer release of PPC2003) that it will work on the O2 XDA and T-Mobile MDA. Nominal bugs according to users on the enthusiast developer site (www.xda-developers.com).

Having said this, there is no reason why T-Mobile would not officially release the "Upgrade" for subscribers.... a nominal fee is to be expected.

Cheers....

Peter

fyiguy
07-14-2003, 02:16 PM
If you are eager to try it the folks at PocketPCPassion have an extensive thread on how to upgrade an XDA to 2003 here (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33678).

Scott R
07-14-2003, 02:17 PM
I'll take it one step further...I wouldn't be surprised if this upgrade is not only free but required. Remember that when you're using the T-Mobile PDA, you're using a phone on their network. If you have a problem and have to call tech support, they would have to deal with two possible support paths, one for PPC 2002 devices, the other for PPC 2003 devices. By upgrading everyone for free, they theoretically reduce their support costs.

Scott

Willmonwah
07-14-2003, 02:21 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8923

T-Mobile has all the more to gain in teh long run, yeah, but isn't the upgrade free for the OEMs? I was thinking that until I went back to Jason's post linked above but wasn't sure.

If it is, I'm irked that more OEMs aren't offering the upgrade.. I mean, I understand the time needed to customize it, but hey, I installed the compaq EEU on my maestro and it worked, so there can't be that much work done, especially on the part of the simple/no-frill OS's provided by some makers.

Willmonwah
07-14-2003, 02:23 PM
By upgrading everyone for free, they theoretically reduce their support costs.

Scott

:D Great point

Birdman
07-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Hmmm. What about us Canadians that purchased our T-Mobile XDA from someone in the US? I also wonder whether this upgrade will in any way impact on the manner in which the unit operates on either Fido or Rogers?

I think the guy I bought mine from has remained a T-Mobile subscriber, but is merely using a different phone on their network. I wonder if I could get the upgrade CD through him? He was super pleasant to deal with, and even agreed to send my unit back to T-Mobile for a warranty repair shortly after I got it.

I will have to look into this.

Cortex
07-14-2003, 03:21 PM
since the phone coverage is SO BAD in the boston area i guess they just feel guilty :)

Brad Adrian
07-14-2003, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this upgrade is not only free but required.
I've had phones (my T-Mo included) for which I've gotten messages asking me to download updates, but have never gotten the impression that they're required (although it might have said something about "in order for your phone to continue to function properly...").

It'll be interesting to see if they do make this mandatory; even though many of the OS changes are subtle, forcing customers to upgrade might not please all of them.

anthonymoody
07-14-2003, 05:41 PM
And I would imagine that many would choose not to, until they have to call customer service for something or other, at which point the 1st question would be - did you upgrade to 2003? No? If not, please do it and see if it solves your problem.

I definitely agree with the other TMo fans here - I'm still so happy with them after fighting constantly with ATT. I'll never go back. A free upgrade by the end of July would be amazing in my book.

TM

notesguy88
07-15-2003, 11:31 PM
If this is true, it would be tremendous! I can't wait to upgrade my PocketPC Phone. :)

I've been a T-Mobile customer for ages since the days when they were known as Omnipoint then voicestream. I've always found their customer service to be great and that's why I've stuck with them through the years. It's true that Verizon has greater coverage, but T-Mo has coverage in all the places I've been to and needed to go to (Europe and Canada included!).