View Full Version : My iPaq soaked

Bajan Cherry
07-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Literally.
I had left my iPaq on the table by the window side, and it rained during the night. I woke up to find that the iPaq is cold. I put it on charge after some hours, and it showed signs of life ( ie, today screen got visible), but after a while went dead again, never to wake up.
Most unfortunate part is that I had just about bought belkin bluetooth adapter for the PC and iPaq. I had not even had the pleasure of setting up active sync for bluetooth.

GoldKey
07-13-2003, 03:16 PM
When electronics get wet, trying to turn them on/charge them is the last thing you should do. Any moisture will probably cause a short. Instead, take out the batteries, carefully take it apart and try to dry it the best you can. Once it is bone dry then reassemble, and CROSS YOUR FINGERS!

Skitals
07-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Yup... water doesnt hurt anything until it shorts something out. If you let all the water dry out it would have been find. I once found a cell phone IN THE OCEAN, half buried in sand. I took it apart and cleaned out all the sand and washed it with tap water to get out any salt. I let it dry for like 2 days, put it back together, and it worked fine 8)

Anthony Caruana
07-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Got to agree. One of my kids dropped our cordless phone at home into the toilet.
:pukeface:
After fishing the phone out I opened it up, removed the battery, dried it thoroughly with a hairdryer and then let it air dry for another couple of days.

Once I replaced the battery it worked again.

Moral of the story (other than the obvious telephones and toilets don't mix) is that you need to thouroughly dry the device out before trying to use it.

Hyperluminal
07-14-2003, 02:40 AM
Once you got it working, did you have the guts to actually use the phone again? :lol:

Anthony Caruana
07-14-2003, 02:49 AM
Once you got it working, did you have the guts to actually use the phone again? :lol:

Yep - but we turned the volume on the speaker right up and hold it with a pair of tongs about a foot from our ears :) We don't use it very often as we bought a new phone and the base station for the phone is mainly used now as a speaker phone

Brad Adrian
07-14-2003, 02:53 AM
Of course, exposure to salty or corrosive water is another matter. It's very hard to recover a device that's been dropped into salt water, but when that happened to a camera of mine several years ago, I immediately submersed it into distilled water to flush out the salt and THEN proceeded to dry it out.

jnunn
07-14-2003, 09:35 AM
I have a compliment for George M.'s Silver Slider 2 regarding water. My iPAQ + SS2 was setting next to an ice tea glass today on a cork coaster. I live about a mile from the coast and half that distance from the Newport Bay so it's rather humid here although you never know since the temp is always about 72 degrees F (22 C). Physics does not forget, however, and after a (long) while the class had condensed so much water that it soaked through the coaster and puddled around my iPAQ.

I noticed only when I turned on my iPAQ and it would not recognize my CF card. Then I saw the water and proceeded to shake the water out of my sleeve. My CF card was wet but OK ... I used the original fat sleeve to test it. The SS2 came back to life after I spilled the water out and let it dry. Notice that I had power running to the device while it was full of water so I was very lucky.

Even though my old 3600 + SS2 is no longer the shiniest kid on the block, I still love it. It has been through hell (tossed around, dropped a few times, survived wrestling nephews, soaked) and it still does everything I need. It is also on it's original battery, has the original plastic stylus lock, and has the original dusty screen with no fix. The case has a dent, one decal is rubbed off, and the paint on the navigator button reveals a few chips but it still looks sweet with the SS2. I may peer through the nearly three year old and ever accumulating dust and I may wish the battery lasted longer and I may also wish that it had an expansion port without requiring a sleeve but I still love my iPAQ. It has been so good to me that I would never disrespect it by replacing it with something that is not it's equal of it's time.

The 2215 came close to being able to retire my 3600 but its bad design in speaker position and second rate screen killed it for me. Now I am looking towards 2004 while I still find more reasons to love my iPAQ 3600 + SS2.