View Full Version : Managing e-mail

John Blasdell
07-13-2003, 05:45 AM
I'd like your ideas and suggestions on managing e-mail with PocketPC 2003. I'd like to buy a new toy, uh, tool if it makes sense, but I don't want to carry 2 PDAs. I had 2 earlier WinCE handhelds, then switched to the PalmOS a couple of years ago when I wanted wireless e-mail and Internet access.

I receive over 100 e-mails per day at my primary e-mail address, a POP3 account at my ISP. Most of these are junk ads which I delete (amazing this many slip through the "rules" I set up in Outlook); a few are important and worth keeping. With the Palm, I log on (wirelessly) whenever/wherever, and download and read e-mail at my convenience. When using MultiMail on the handheld, I tap the "Delete" button to delete each message. I can then choose whether to "Delete from Handheld" (deletes the message from the PDA but leaves it on the POP3 server so I can later download the message with a desktop PC), or "Delete from Handheld and Server" (deletes from the PDA now, and deletes the message from the POP3 server the next time I tap Send and Receive). I don't have to sort through messages again that I deleted from the handheld; they're gone when I download e-mail later to a desktop PC.

I can't sync my Pocket Outlook with a desktop PC so that the same messages are on both; I have many old messages on my notebook and desktop PCs that I want to keep for reference or whatever, but don't want or need these messages on the PDA due to limited PDA memory. I rarely keep e-mail messages on the handheld after they are read; the important ones are downloaded later to a PC, the rest are gone forever.

I didn't have wireless access while using my earlier WinCE handhelds, but I don't remember any way to do what I need with Pocket Outlook. There has to be a way to quickly manage e-mail -- thousands of mobile workers surely don't read messages on their handheld, then read and delete these same messages later on the desktop.

How do you work with and manage your e-mail wirelessly?

As a point of interest, I started with a CDPD modem and OmniSky service, but currently connect through my Verizon cell phone. Better coverage, quicker connections, faster throughput, and lower cost (almost free!) I burn minutes from my cell plan during the day, but I have unlimited nights and weekends for voice and data most anywhere in the U.S. Sadly, Verizon plans no Bluetooth-equipped phones in the near future; they say it's too small a niche market.

Thanks,
John

David Prahl
07-15-2003, 12:01 AM
Palm 1. Pocket PC 0. :lol:

This is another example of simplicity (Palm) doing better than power (Pocket PC).

I use 802.11b to check my e-mail at home, and I have not found a way how to remove them from the server from my Axim. Pocket Outlook is surprising barren of features, unlike the Palm e-mail clients.

There must be a way to do this on a Pocket PC, but I can't find a way to do it with pocket outlook and a regular POP3 ISP.

I hear that the newest version of Pocket Outlook is better, but I've heard nothing about this specific issue.

PetiteFlower
07-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Yeah I can dl and read mail on my Axim but I can't delete it from the server.

Sooner Al
07-15-2003, 03:39 PM
I think nPoP (http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html) will delete email from the server. I don't personally use nPoP, so I could be wrong, but check it out...

msprague
07-15-2003, 04:33 PM
See SpamFilter (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14952) for software that let's you delete email from the server. For a full function email app see WebIS Mail (http://www.pocketinformant.com/Mail.php)

Also, I use the built in Inbox application on Pocket PC 2002 and I have my email account set up as an IMAP server. When I delete a message on the Pocket PC and then do a Send/Receive it is deleted from the server as well. If your ISP supports IMAP that may be your best bet.

John Blasdell
07-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I see it can be done; I'm just surprised there aren't more features in Pocket Outlook, AND since Pocket Outlook is limited, this creates an opening for Third Party developers to sell solutions. On the "other" platform, Palm has owned MultiMail (now VersaMail) for some time, yet new full-featured, robust Third Party e-mail programs keep appearing.

Pocket Word is very lame, so Softmaker saw an opening and developed a great program.

Software has driven the hardware side of this business since VisiCalc in the early days of personal computers. A full-featured replacement for Pocket Outlook, or an add-on program to give us more features, would help to sell more Pocket PCs.

Thanks again!

Thinkingmandavid
07-23-2003, 05:14 PM
I was just at the WEBIS website, and it says it is not compatible with ppc 2003. If you have 2003 or are planning on upgrading to it, you may want to wait and see what is going to be, or being offered for it.
Compatible with Pocket PC 2002 devices. Not compatible with Palm OS™ devices or Pocket PC 2000/2003 devices

tomtiguy
07-25-2003, 01:51 AM
What do IMAP4 and POP3 mean? I haven't been able to figure that out. Do my Hotmail and Yahoo accounts fall into those categories? I'm wondering if I can use my Inbox app on my PPC to receive my Hotmail email or if I can compose an email on the go and have it send through my Hotmail address automatically when I sync.

victore
07-29-2003, 06:59 AM
imap4 and pop3 are two different ways of getting your incoming mail. pop3 allows you to download your mail to your device. one of the options is to leave the mail on the server, or once it's downloaded, delete it from the server. imap4 give you a "view" into your inbox. if you remain connected to your inbox, when you delete it on your device, it's gone from the server. you can also configure imap4 to perform a sort of "synchronization" where you grab your mail, work offline, then when you reconnect you synch your changes back to your inbox.

msprague
07-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) and Post Office Protocol (POP)
Here is a nice overview (http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/aixbman/commadmn/ml_imap_pop.htm). You can stop reading when you get to "refresh -s inetd." :wink: