View Full Version : HUGE BUG IN PPC 2003 AND BATTERY PACK 5.0.6

jeremyweisser
07-11-2003, 09:40 PM
I have found what appears to be a huge bug. I do not know if this has been discovered before but it is such a big bug that I wanted to post as soon as I got to a computer.

This flaw could allow anyone to see your data and use your device even with your password protection enabled.

The problem occurs on my iPAQ 5555 w/ PPC 2003 and Battery Pack 2003 5.0.6.

My password option is enabled to prompt me for a password every 0 minutes. This ensures that as soon as I turn on my Pocket PC I am prompted for the correct passowrd or fingerprint.

I also have enabled the close button in Battery Pack 2003.

If I turn off my device and turn it back on I am prompted for my password. This is normal, however if I hit the close button in the upper right hand corner of the screen the entire passowrd page is closed.

I am now able to get into the device though the start button does not work. I am however able to use my program list and all today panel apps.

Can anyone else confirm this problem?

I would suggest that all users who can replicate this problem, disable the close button in Battery Pack 2003.

umichboy
07-12-2003, 01:06 AM
I ran into a similar problem in PPC2002 on my iPaq 5450. Pushing the close button on the password page crashes the machine and forces you to do soft reset. Not a big deal like your 2003 security hole, but a pain nonetheless.

For those who don't how to disable this feature, it is the "Power Task" setting in the "Power Adjust" portion of Battery Bar 5.

darrylb
07-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Did you inform the developer? They will want to know so they can fix it. :)

WyattEarp
07-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Isn't that more like a security hole than an actual bug. It may have been a developer's "backdoor" for testing that someone unfortunately forgot to close. I do hope they fix it.