View Full Version : iPaq 2215 and poor IR support

michael
07-11-2003, 09:36 PM
I recently got a 2215 and was delighted with it. I tried using the Nevo software with the consumer IR capability and found it only worked when I was within 3ft of the device I was trying to control. I called HP as it's supposed to work at a greater distance than that and their support person told me to try a hard reset and see if that helped. I tried that and it still didn't work so I just called HP back and got told "We don't support the use of the Nevo software, it's not our problem, you have to speak to them." Nevo don't have a contact telephone number for support on their site so all support is by email or through their forums - in which people are having similar problems but nobody from Nevo is responding to them. HP flat out refused to discuss the problem today, whereas yesterday they researched it and tried to help. I'm suspicious that HP know there is a problem but aren't willing to do anything about it. They now claim they don't support an advertised feature of their device.

Anyone considering buying a 22xx device might want to wait to see how many people this causes problems for.

KayMan2k
07-11-2003, 09:42 PM
HP is wrong, this is their problem. Try calling again and asking to speak with their mananger. The problem sounds like your CIR chip is broken or Nevo doesn't recognize it. This is the hardware behind Nevo - no longer available in the 5000 series. First - might wanna try exchanging for another one - might be defective.

But I don't own a 2215 so I don't know for sure.

Chris Spera
07-11-2003, 10:08 PM
I agree. This is HP's problem. The software is on THEIR device. I also agree that you might want to try exchanging the device first and testing out a new unit before giving them another call.

I have used Nevo on my 3955 and my5455. Both units are able to control multiple devices from across a large living room, just like my regular remotes.

If you're 2200 can't do this, then your device is probably defective.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

michael
07-11-2003, 10:26 PM
I just spoke with a hardware engineer from Universal Electronics (makers of Nevo and the CIR chip) - he explained the implementation in the 2215 and concluded based on my observations that it was a hardware issue - apparently there are two chips - one for IRDA and one for CIR - both use the same lens and so transmit at the same time - with the short range I was seeing it was clear only the IRDA chip was transmitting. So it's a hardware issue and back to HP I go...

delfuhd
07-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Indeed, it's hp's fault. I remember when I first bought the PockeTop keyboard, it would only work within an inch of my IR port, so I couldn't use the stand, i had to use aluminum foil in some cases to reflect the beam closer to my 2850 :lol:

And since there's a picture of an ipaq being used with it on the box, I knew it was a hardware problem, so I took it back to staples, got my 100 buck refund, and bought one on eBay for $44. The one I got works perfectly.

michael
07-11-2003, 11:07 PM
I just spoke with a hardware engineer from Universal Electronics (makers of Nevo and the CIR chip) - he explained the implementation in the 2215 and concluded based on my observations that it was a hardware issue - apparently there are two chips - one for IRDA and one for CIR - both use the same lens and so transmit at the same time - with the short range I was seeing it was clear only the IRDA chip was transmitting. So it's a hardware issue and back to HP I go...

It's going back to HP for repair. Once they finally accepted it was their problem.

madbart
07-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Don't you just hate buying a new product only to find out it has a fault.
Deflation +.... :cry: