View Full Version : 512 MB SD Card at Buy.com for $127.95!!!

Crystal Eitle
07-11-2003, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.buy.com/retail/clearance/product.asp?sku=70011129&dcaid=1688' target='_blank'>http://www.buy.com/retail/clearance...1129&dcaid=1688</a><br /><br /></div>This is a fantastic deal; Buy.com has 512MB SD cards for $127.95. This isn't "price after rebate" either. That's the actual price. Let's see, that works out to $.25/meg. That's pretty cheap! The brand is PQI, which I've never heard of. Still I'm tempted to pick one of these up.

madbart
07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
That's pretty cheap! The brand is PQI, which I've never heard of. Still I'm tempted to pick one of these up.

We sell quite of few of these and have not had any issues. They are a tad slower in performance of the Toshiba, Sandisk etc but will do just fine for mp3's etc :D

pcraigmile
07-11-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm tempted too by this offer -- does anyone know about the company? Also what about speed of this card? And of course the golden question: is it compatible with the AXIM (I don't want another sandisk disaster :devilboy: )

Peter.

piperpilot
07-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Although I am VERY tempted by the offer, I am also very skeptical since the price is so far below the competition. I'm not even seeing 512MB SD cards being sold on eBay for much less than $225!

Raphael Salgado
07-11-2003, 01:45 PM
I say go pick one up and download the trial of Resco Audio Recorder from www.resco-net.com.

Copy a bunch of files to the card using your PPC or a USB reader, then run the Audio Converter which will perform an I/O speed test. If it either corrupts the contents of the card or is too slow to record onto it (which my previous SanDisk cards always did), then the only thing you've wasted was your time and shipping charges.

You can also try using StorageTools to perform an analyze or defrag on the card when it's full of files, to see how it handles it.

But, the "Resco Audio Recorder test" was the most accurate way for me to find out if the card was good or not.

I just hope they aren't SanDisk cards that were rebranded by them. Good luck!

beq
07-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Ah darnit, the post got me all excited but now I'm wondering if I should cancel?? Going forward I'd really wanted to only buy the faster (so called "5x-speed") SD cards.

Certainly seems like a good deal compared to other 512MB SDs. But I just saw that 512MB CFs seem to have already gotten down to this ~#125 range. And the smaller capacity SDs are also approaching this $/MB value -- for example I saw 256MB SD there for like $50 (after a $20 rebate). So I'm guessing 512MB SDs in general are on the threshold of falling as well?

What do others think about this (discontinued?) clearanced, non-returnable card? FWIW PQI's flash readers seem to be pretty well known by users (and sold at CompUSA, etc).

EDIT: Uh I didn't mean for my post to sound so negative, 'twas a knee-jerk backlash response. I think I'll keep the order, thanks all for the info...

aviator
07-11-2003, 02:09 PM
aaarrggh! got to the checkout page and they don't ship internationally!

Raphael Salgado
07-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Well, let it be known that you can return it only if it's defective and sent back within the 14-day period.

* Clearance Store and Price Mistake of the Day products may be returned only when defective and within 14 days of your product's shipping date.

* The shipping date is available in your My Account history. After 14 days, please contact the manufacturer directly.

* If part of a product is defective, please return the whole product, including all manuals and accessories, in the original packaging.

trachy
07-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Crystal. Hopefully, this is the beginning of the long-awaited price drop on this segment of the SD market.

Raphael Salgado
07-11-2003, 02:16 PM
FYI, one guy in this thread said that PQI cards are second to best choice (Lexar Media) for memory.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl418131196d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=fUeV8.398107%24o66.1080956%40news-server.bigpond.net.au

So perhaps this is a good deal after all!

Raphael Salgado
07-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Buyer beware - remember, the return policy is 14 days from the shipping date, so don't choose Budget (14-21 day delivery) or Standard (7-10 day delivery), or you may not get a chance to return your product to Buy.com if defective!

So, you'll spend an extra $10 for Second Day shipping, but it still makes it worth it!

cht
07-11-2003, 02:45 PM
FYI, one guy in this thread said that PQI cards are second to best choice (Lexar Media) for memory.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl418131196d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=fUeV8.398107%24o66.1080956%40news-server.bigpond.net.au

So perhaps this is a good deal after all!

If you read that thread on Google you'd be a lot less inclined to believe that person's opinion. Sounds more like a flame war than a real basis in fact.

TECHIUM
07-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Well, with the option to "Bill Me Later", I couldn't pass this one up. Hopefully I can sneak it past my wife this way :wink: So when it comes in I'll benchmark it and post the results here. I have the Registered version of Resco's Audio Recorder v4.11, Jason's Spb Benchmark, and the registered version of SoftWinter's StorageTools v 1.5. So I'll test with all three. However, I should note that as of yet I can only use StorageTools v1.5 on my e740. For some reason every time I load it on my HP 2215 it crashes. Odd, obviously some imcompatability with 2003.

stonepro
07-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Tangent Alert -- feel free to point me in the right direction (thread).

Someone mentioned the new 5X speed SD cards...

Where? When? How much??????? :onfire:

I want a high capacity SD card, but I've read (conflicting reports) that CF is faster. But I don't WANT a CF card - I use CF WiFi.

Can someone provide more info on the 5X SD cards? Are there other new SD high speed formats available?

Thanks!

felixdd
07-11-2003, 03:12 PM
I have four cards right now -- two no-names (Eagletec and one which doesn't even have a name on it), and two SanDisks. Both my no-names either formatted itself or are exhibiting strange behavior (re: CF woes on "Just Chatting") while both SanDisks have performed flawlessly. One of those SanDisks I've had for...oh, nearly 5 years now and it has yet to hiccup even once.

So -- no more no-name brands for me! :D

Zensbikeshop
07-11-2003, 03:28 PM
aaarrggh! got to the checkout page and they don't ship internationally!

Bugger!

I still let myself get excited about these offers..... when will I learn.

bleeman
07-11-2003, 04:31 PM
I can't tell from their ad as to brand and it's not as good a deal as the Buy.Com price, but today's flyer from Fry's has a 512mb SD card going for $199 with no rebates.

jt3
07-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Well, I just ordered two of them, one for my iPAQ, and one for my Jumpdrive Trio (USB 2.0 SD Card Pendrive). I'll try the speed next to the Lexar card in my Jumpdrive. It this PQI card is much slower, they're both going back. If I start to have "format" problems with my iPAQ, they're also both going back.

For me, at least, next day shipping was only $15, while 2nd day was $10, so I splurged, to give me one extra day of testing. It was REALLY nice to know in advance that the return policy was only 14 days. Kudos to Raphael for pointing that out. You should also note, that this is coming from the Clearance store, so coupons won't work either (a bummer, since there's a $20 off $250 for electronics.... had this item been selling from its normal category, I'd have gotten them for $117.95 each! :cry: )

portus
07-11-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, with the option to "Bill Me Later", I couldn't pass this one up. Hopefully I can sneak it past my wife this way :wink: So when it comes in I'll benchmark it and post the results here. I have the Registered version of Resco's Audio Recorder v4.11, Jason's Spb Benchmark, and the registered version of SoftWinter's StorageTools v 1.5. So I'll test with all three. However, I should note that as of yet I can only use StorageTools v1.5 on my e740. For some reason every time I load it on my HP 2215 it crashes. Odd, obviously some imcompatability with 2003.

Just had a correspondence with SoftWinter and was told that they will be releasing a WM2003 compatible version of StorageTools pretty soon (July).

sting0r
07-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Damm you all!!! It's out of stock now, too bad I slept in today. Beware though, I just remembered reading on fatwallet or somewhere about this happening and it was actually a type and the person got a 256 olympus sd card or something. I will try to find the post...

Crystal Eitle
07-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Damm you all!!! It's out of stock now, too bad I slept in today.
Check back again in a little bit. When I checked earlier they were out of stock, but then, a few minutes later, 50 more had magically appeared....

sting0r
07-11-2003, 05:06 PM
I think I just figured out the problem, look at the manufacturer's part number on the info screen it says:

Manufacturer: Pqi - Mfg Part#: FX256

I think they send u a PQI 256 card instead of a 512, buyer beware!!!

Idahoski
07-11-2003, 05:22 PM
I ordered one several weeks ago. I ended up cancelling. It was "sent to warehouse" status for a days before I cancelled and bought my iPAQ 2215. I have heard of people getting PQI 256 card which matches the model number.

Jhokur2k
07-11-2003, 05:23 PM
As for PQI, I have a 6-in-1 USB2.0 card reader from them, which works flawlessly so far, both in 2.0 and 1.1 ports.

jt3
07-11-2003, 05:35 PM
I think I just figured out the problem, look at the manufacturer's part number on the info screen it says:
Manufacturer: Pqi - Mfg Part#: FX256
I think they send u a PQI 256 card instead of a 512, buyer beware!!!

I certainly hope not. With all the places on the page describing a 512MB card, I think they just missed a spot when they were creating a page for the 512MB card (I'm sure they just modified an existing page for the 256MB version).

At any rate, mine is at "Sent to Warehouse" status, so with any luck, I'll find out definitively either Monday or Tuesday. I'll be sure to post about my experience.

davidspalding
07-11-2003, 05:37 PM
Well pardon me for presuming from the peanut gallery, but if the product info page said "512 MB" and your checkout screen said "512 MB" and your invoice said "512 MB" and the product you get is 256 MB, it's a case of fraud. Print out those pages and if you get something other than what you ordered, complain complain complain until Buy.com rectifies, or you have to sue. Or just do a charge back on your credit card. :) Talk to the BBB. Talk to the FTC.... There are other ways of skinning that cat.

I also have one of those readers (Travel Flash or something). It requires its own drivers, but does work ... if I plug it into the PC with teh memory card already in it; otherwise it doesn't work.

sting0r
07-11-2003, 05:39 PM
I am just trying to warn you. I definitely remember reading somewhere that people did not receive what they were suppossed to and had to return it.

konfoo
07-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Be warned, I purchased 2 256M PQI cards and returned them.

1. they didn't fit in the SD slot without having to force them in (and they got stuck).
2. PPC 2002 didn't recognise them
3. The label on the box states 'works in MOST cameras / pocketPCs'

PQI should be renamed to POS. Avoid it.

sting0r
07-11-2003, 05:50 PM
I would think about canceling you orders or calling up buy.com, because the item is no longer valid on the website.

I get the following, " Sorry, this product is no longer sold at the buy.com website" They may have caught on....

davidspalding
07-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Just looked at the product info page. It says 512 MB enough times to NOT be misleading or vague.

The image is kinda cute, too. It sure looks like a PQI label stuck on another product.
http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/129/70011129.jpg
Look at it this way ... if you print out all those pages, and your invoice specifies a 512 MB card, and they send you something else, threaten to sue for fraud until they send you a 512 MB SD card like you purchased. It's entirely up to your cajones, but if you get them worried, you could end up with a Viking or Lexar or ... Simpletech ... 512 MB SD card as a replacement. You guys are sounding like whatever you get in the mail is what you have to keep. Not so. They have to sell you what they advertise.

I get the following, " Sorry, this product is no longer sold at the buy.com website" They may have caught on....
Hrm. I've been looking at this -- the link from Crystal's post -- while you posted. Works fine for me. ?:)

sting0r
07-11-2003, 05:51 PM
I wish I could find the post on the other forum, but basically they didn't stand up to the deal, they have wording about misprints, etc.... I think they may have said it's no longer available. Good luck, buy.com is the worst with this kind of stuff....

BTW, I hope you already did screen prints since its no longer shows up on the site.

reydiodj
07-11-2003, 05:55 PM
I have PQI's USB 1.1 and their USB 2.0 6-in-1 Travel Flash card readers and a 512 CF card (purchased at Fry's for $109, 4 mos. ago) - all of which I have had no problems with and personally recommend them second to Lexar.

IanG
07-11-2003, 05:56 PM
PQI are a cheap brand for most storage cards. They're from somewhere in the far east - I would guess Hong Kong as there were loads of them for sale there.

I can't say for sure how good their SD cards are, but I've not had a problem with my 128meg CF card (touch wood).

I just wish I was in the states to take advantage of this price :(

Later

Ian G

davidspalding
07-11-2003, 06:01 PM
They're monkeying around. check this page, it's still listed with 34 in stock

http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults.asp?search_store=7&querytype=clearance&qu=*&loc=114&mfgnm=Pqi

But the direct link or "Buy Now" link indicates as sting0r said, no longer for sale. (Sorry man, you were right.) Like Crystal said earlier, check back regularly. They may bring it back, or they may've decided to change pricing now that word of this deal is spreading.

sting0r
07-11-2003, 06:04 PM
when you try to buy it, it says out of stock!! too bad I figured I would give it a whirl as well....

spaceman
07-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Just got this week's Fry's ad (LA Times), they are selling the 512MB SD card (Panasonic??) for $199 !

sting0r
07-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Any way to buy Fry's stuff online????

BTW, buy.com shows all PQI as sold out now, maybe they are having some problems over there.....

spaceman
07-11-2003, 06:15 PM
see Outpost.com (http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3625855), Fry's online store. It is actually cheaper than the Fry's store price. $189.99 ! In stock

jt3
07-11-2003, 06:16 PM
they have wording about misprints, etc....

They have the option to not accept your order due to misprints. However, if they send you a product, they've signified that they've accepted your order. At that point, they MUST fulfill that order... they're no longer covered by the "typographical error" statement.

The product description on my order is as follows: PQI FE512 Secure Digital Card 512 MB.

Since they list the "FE512" as the product, which is the correct model number for the 512MB version, they will have to send a 512MB card. If they send a 256MB version, then all they can do is claim that they SENT the wrong product, and replace it with the 512MB version. Any other claims would be constituted as a "Bait and Switch" scam, which is illegal. They CANNOT claim that I ORDERED the wrong product, since I have a printed order confirmation that clearly shows the correct product.

Again, there is a huge difference between their ability to not accept an order due to typos and their ability to send the wrong product.

As for the item disappearing. This is normal when a product, sold by the clearance store, sells out. Remember, this product isn't being sold out of the electronics category... but the clearance category.

The bottom line is that it's too early to worry about it. Wait to see how the orders are fulfilled. If you receive a product... any product... you're safe. At that point, Buy.com is legally obligated to fulfill your order, give you an equivalent product, or refund your money. Either way, you're covered.

sting0r
07-11-2003, 06:23 PM
see Outpost.com (http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3625855), Fry's online store. It is actually cheaper than the Fry's store price. $189.99 ! In stock

I just order the panasonic one, couldn't get in on the buy.com deal and I don't think they will honor it based on the fact that I can remember reading about this same situation somewhere else. 189.99 isn't too bad and shipping is really cheap. I ended up going with overnight shipment for 197.95 or something... Hopefully panasonic is a good fast card....

sting0r
07-11-2003, 06:25 PM
I just checked panasonic's web site. The same card is retailing for $350 over there.....

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=62340&catGroupId=11049&modelNo=RP-SDH512U1A&surfModel=RP-SDH512U1A

looks like a good deal for a brand name card...

spaceman
07-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Good choice. I would get the Panasonic if I didn't just get a 256MB SD 1 month ago.

sting0r
07-11-2003, 06:29 PM
The specs say reads writes at 10mb/sec. I wonder what the pqi card is rated at....

Anyone have a panasonic card??? I believe they are the ones that invented and own the rights to sd technology...

jt3
07-11-2003, 06:29 PM
PQI are a cheap brand for most storage cards. They're from somewhere in the far east - I would guess Hong Kong as there were loads of them for sale there.

They're in Taiwan. Their webpage can be found at http://www.pqi.com.tw. A LOT of memory... name brand memory... is made in Taiwan, so don't judge the quality based on that fact alone. They're certainly a new company, founded in 1997, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're a CHEAP company.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. If these cards work, I'll be happy. If not, they'll go back.

sting0r
07-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Well, I wish you the best of luck. I just wish I couldnt the original posts about this deal to see what the end result was....

Idahoski
07-11-2003, 08:27 PM
I wish I could find the post on the other forum, but basically they didn't stand up to the deal, they have wording about misprints, etc.... I think they may have said it's no longer available. Good luck, buy.com is the worst with this kind of stuff....

BTW, I hope you already did screen prints since its no longer shows up on the site.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=193027

Newsboy
07-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Sold out! *bangs head against keyboard*

Glisson
07-12-2003, 12:25 AM
Just a little bump to make sure I hear about it when these cards start showing up and people run them through their paces.

Glisson

beq
07-12-2003, 02:15 AM
The proof is in the pudding, as they say.You said it. So did the Crystal actually buy any, or not? ;)

If these cards work, I'll be happy. If not, they'll go back.I wouldn't want to face the hassle of returning such a card if it was still working (just slow) -- I don't know how stringent Buy.com's staff are...

Crystal Eitle
07-12-2003, 03:20 AM
The proof is in the pudding, as they say.You said it. So did the Crystal actually buy any, or not? ;)
Nope. I was thinking about it, but something told me not to. Then I got home, and my old, decrepit computer finally died on me (I'm on my roommate's machine right now).

So I went to the Dell Refurb site and bought a new computer. Good thing I got paid today! But no SD card for me.

kagayaki1
07-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Hopefully panasonic is a good fast card....
I understand Panasonics are some of the fastest, most reliable SD cards available. It should work great!

beq
07-13-2003, 12:08 PM
What's going on, I finally flipped through Mobile Planet's latest catalog that's been on my desk (their 10th anniversary one). Geared toward mobile professionals, MP isn't exactly known for the cheapest prices (:)). But in it I saw SanDisk's 512MB SD for $169 and 1GB SD for $329!

Yet PriceGrabber et. al had recently shown most 512MB SD still hovering up to $300. But admittedly I'm out of the loop with the market -- has this pricing level been available for awhile?

I'm guessing Mobile Planet is just slightly ahead of the price curve from competitors, but this should soon equalize?

Also I forget if SanDisk's 512MB-and-up cards are of the "fast" type, but I don't think so (IIRC they'd only advertised some capacity-doubling technology breakthrough but not the 10MB/s speed thing)...

sting0r
07-13-2003, 07:02 PM
What's going on, I finally flipped through Mobile Planet's latest catalog that's been on my desk (their 10th anniversary one). Geared toward mobile professionals, MP isn't exactly known for the cheapest prices (:)). But in it I saw SanDisk's 512MB SD for $169 and 1GB SD for $329!

Yet PriceGrabber et. al had recently shown most 512MB SD still hovering up to $300. But admittedly I'm out of the loop with the market -- has this pricing level been available for awhile?

I'm guessing Mobile Planet is just slightly ahead of the price curve from competitors, but this should soon equalize?

Also I forget if SanDisk's 512MB-and-up cards are of the "fast" type, but I don't think so (IIRC they'd only advertised some capacity-doubling technology breakthrough but not the 10MB/s speed thing)...

That's weird, I just went to Mobile Planet's website and they don't even have the sandisk sd in any size bigger then 256 megs. I would have picked up the sandisk instead of the panasonic, maybe even the 1 gig one. Mobile Planet may be quoting prices that will be coming out in a month or maybe more...

I did get my panasonic yesterday and it's working great, alot faster then my old 128meg sandisk card.

beq
07-14-2003, 12:21 AM
^ Oh really that's strange... Anyways they're listed on both pages 27 and 39 in the catalog (along w/ Kingston's $199 5GB PC Card)...

EDIT: Part numbers: MP853631 (512MB) and MP853632 (1GB)

beq
07-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Then again when I see SanDisk's 1GB CF card at Buy.com for $184.99 (free shipping), I still see SD as too expensive :) :(

BTW, has anyone seen a place to buy that SD-to-CF flush adapter in the US (the Panasonic one)?

Ed Hansberry
07-15-2003, 06:17 PM
I think we are getting the old switch-a-roo folks. I ordered two of them:

70011129 PQI FE512 Secure Digital Card 512 MB

This is what was in my email saying they had shipped:

70011129 XD-PIC CARD OLYMPUS 256MB

Not only is it 256MB vs 512MB, it isn't even an SD card. Maybe the email was wrong and the correct product is on the way. I should know tomorrow evening. :?

jt3
07-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Don't count on it. I got mine today, and it contained two of the 256MB xD cards. This is what happened the last time they offered this "deal" back on the 21st of June. I'm calling them, and demanding a substitution. Don't think I'll be paying the $9.00 for the customer support call they want to charge either. I've half a mind to get in contact with my state Attorney General, not to mention the FTC. Once could be a mistake. Twice shows intent to defraud. This is a bait-and-switch scam, and from what I've been seeing on other forums, Buy.com is getting quite proficient at this type of scam.

vagelis
07-15-2003, 07:20 PM
I AM SCR$#@D too :evil:

This was what my order confirmation email listed:

70011129 PQI FE512 Secure Digital Card 512 MB 1 $127.95 $127.95

This is what the shipping confirmation shows:

70011129 XD-PIC CARD OLYMPUS 256MB 1

We need to somehow group on this and force an appropriate resolution.

Ideas :?:

jt3
07-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Okay, here's the deal...

I just got off the phone with them, and they claimed no knowledge or understanding how their warehouse could have sent the wrong item, but that they showed that an order for the CORRECT product was sent to the warehouse. I told them that this is the second instance where apparently NOBODY received the correct product (the last time was on 6/21, where this item was offered for $120.95). I said that there is no possible explanation that they could give to justify how hundreds... possibly thousands... of returns that happened because of this last fiasco could have possibly been overlooked to the extent that they did the exact same thing again on 7/11. The customer service representative told me that all she could do was refund my money, or offer to replace the item for another brand... of course, I'd need to pay the difference.

Folks, by definition, this is a bait-and-switch scam. What's more, since e-mail support obviously doesn't work (the poor bastards from the 21st waited a couple weeks just to receive ANOTHER 256MB xD card!), they may be using this to push their $9.00 customer support fee. Again, fraud.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, and surprise, surprise, there wasn't one available. She said that she'd forward my call to corporate, and have someone contact me as soon as possible (yeah, right!).

Here's what I suggest you do if you were a victim of this scam. Call their customer support number, and do what I did. DEMAND a substitution for another brand of 512MB SD card. Threaten to call your state Attorney General and/or the Federal Trade Commission. Both of these organizations have the authority to investigate Buy.com for fraudulent activities, and take appropriate action. Also, DEMAND that they waive the $9.00 fee for the call (they will, at least, do that much).

I find it hard to believe that they're out of stock on these items, when apparently, nobody has received one. Sure, this could be a computer glitch, but they'll have a hard time pushing that to the authorities, since they were informed of the issue, and turned around and did it again! In all reality, we really have them over the barrel on this one. If they're investigated, they'll have a really hard time convincing the authorities that this was an honest mistake... especially if they don't take care of those who've complained, first.

Make that call, and don't be afraid to follow through and contact your state Attorney General and/or the FTC. From other posts I've been seeing, this is hardly an isolated incident for Buy.com. Let's put a stop to this kind of fraudulent practice, by letting Buy.com know that they're not immune to the anti-fraud laws. It's ridiculous for a company this size to play this kind of game, and I, for one, won't stand for it. Hopefully, I'm not alone.

Mobile Bob
07-15-2003, 07:42 PM
I think we are getting the old switch-a-roo folks. I ordered two of them:

70011129 PQI FE512 Secure Digital Card 512 MB

This is what was in my email saying they had shipped:

70011129 XD-PIC CARD OLYMPUS 256MB

Not only is it 256MB vs 512MB, it isn't even an SD card. Maybe the email was wrong and the correct product is on the way. I should know tomorrow evening. :?

I think your first instinct was correct, Ed. As soon as I received their e-mail announcing shipment, I called their customer service at (877) 780-2464. The rep was very helpful and honest. She called both the distributor and buy.com's home office, and determined that I was shipped the wrong item. She also advised me that the 512MB SD card may never have been available in the first place. The rep even gave me her direct extension in the event I succeed in refusing shipment (thereby avoiding the RMA process).

StingOr tried to warn us, and it turned out that he was correct. Not sorry I tried though, as that would have been a great deal. If its true that the 1GB SD cards are hitting the market, then we should see some great prices on these 512MB cards during the next few months. I'll be watching very closely.

Crystal Eitle
07-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Make that call, and don't be afraid to follow through and contact your state Attorney General and/or the FTC. From other posts I've been seeing, this is hardly an isolated incident for Buy.com. Let's put a stop to this kind of fraudulent practice, by letting Buy.com know that they're not immune to the anti-fraud laws. It's ridiculous for a company this size to play this kind of game, and I, for one, won't stand for it. Hopefully, I'm not alone.
JT3, how did things work out for you? Did they offer you another 512MB SD card?

I'm interested to hear how this gets resolved for everyone. It sounds like JT3 has made a very compelling case for action against Buy.com if they don't provide a 512MB SD card as promised.

I had heard rumors that Buy.com was untrustworthy, but never to this extent. I personally will refrain from doing any more front-page posts on Buy.com deals, unless they can prove they've cleaned up their act.

jt3
07-15-2003, 08:37 PM
They said they'd have to forward the call to corporate. I told them that if I didn't hear from corporate within 24 hours (always give them a time limit!) that I'd be making my calls to the State Attorney General and the FTC.

So, in a nutshell... so far, no... it hasn't worked out for me, but we'll see what happens. They have until about 1:30 CDT on Wednesday to contact me, or I'll be making my calls.

I'll keep you all informed via this thread.

beq
07-16-2003, 05:43 AM
I'm glad then they've postponed shipping mine (still says sent to warehouse all this time)... Guess I should cancel the order (or they'll probably cancel it for me soon), but I haven't been charged yet...

Don't Panic!
07-16-2003, 04:34 PM
I cancelled my order. Best Buy shows 512MB Sandisk SD's in stock for $179.00.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Dave Beauvais
07-16-2003, 04:51 PM
I cancelled my order. Best Buy shows 512MB Sandisk SD's in stock for $179.00.
SanDisk... must... control... fist... of... death!! I personally think you'd be better off trying to cram the incorrect card they send you into your Pocket PC than using any SanDisk card, no matter how cheap. Maybe that's just me, though. :)

--Dave

Don't Panic!
07-16-2003, 05:53 PM
I'm going to give it a chance anyway. I got my instore pick-up confirmation a minute ago. Wasn't it just the 128MB SD that was having the problems?

Don't Panic!
Bobby

beq
07-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Please let us know if it's the same speed as your 128MB and smaller cards or if it's faster like the Panasonic/Lexar/etc.

Mobile Planet apparently doesn't have these large SanDisk SDs in stock yet, but I'm surprised Buy.com is more expensive (they usually have low price when introducing a new item I think)...

Now that I've been bitten w/ the purchasing bug, I'm contemplating saving up for the 1GB SD...

EDIT: Never mind Panic, I misread your post (I thought you said Buy.com instead of Best Buy). No wonder I can't find the Buy.com listing :)

Incidentally, what's going on w/ the price fluctuations at Buy.com, now the SanDisk 1GB CF is $224.99 instead of $184.99 just a few days ago.

Don't Panic!
07-16-2003, 06:14 PM
It's a CF Card. :oops: Drat.
Don't Panic!
Bobby

cybrwulf
07-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I tried canceling mine yesterday.. but it still shows "sent to warehouse"....

They said, "Dont worry just refuse it if it shows up..."...

Which would be fine, but then I get charged for it, and I have to wait wait wait for a refund on something they screwed up in the first place... it was bought on a debit card, otherwise it wouldn't be a big deal.

Ed Hansberry
07-16-2003, 08:20 PM
it was bought on a debit card, otherwise it wouldn't be a big deal.
This, and about 20 other reasons, are why I don't even own a debit card. My bank sends me one every 6-8 months and I call and cancel it. I don't even want one in existence with my account data on it.

cybrwulf
07-16-2003, 10:10 PM
Mouth spoke before brain functions took over... :) Sorry to snap back, just been on edge, and I thought Ed was making me out to be a moron... :)

Kati Compton
07-16-2003, 10:12 PM
hrm.. why not just call me an "idiot" and be done with it...
I don't think Ed was being hostile towards you, just trying to be helpful pointing out drawbacks to using a debit card.

cybrwulf
07-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I sorry for snapping back, just not happy with this whole deal. Sorta dissapointed, I had used buy.com in the past, like 3 years ago, and had no troubles. When I saw this deal last week, I jumped RIGHT away that morning to get in on it, all I had was my check card with me, and if I had waited, I would have missed out.... later it was out of stock. (even though they mysteriously got more...)

I usually miss out on this stuff so this is why I used what darn card!!! 8O

that dan guy
07-17-2003, 03:09 PM
I ordered mine that morning around 9am est and mine was sent to the warehouse my dad ordered his about three hours later and his has already been shipped and it was the olympus thingy and mine was still at the warehouse I emailed them monday and I have heard no response until today when my order was cancelled due to them being out of stock. I promptly emailed them back saying that there was plenty of stock and I ordered mine 3 hours before my dads and it was shipped. I also wrote that I had dealt with buy.com before and never had any problems and that I felt cheated because my order slipped through the cracks. Can they do this? I mean it seems awfully sketchy. I was not charged but what is my dads recourse?

this sucks,

danno

jt3
07-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Well... They didn't call me back yesterday, so I thought I'd give them one more chance to make things right. I called them back (again, demanding that they waive the fee, which they did), and talked to someone who said that the issue had been assigned to manager, but that the manager involved wasn't there. He told me that he would get in touch with that manager this morning, find out what they were going to do, and call me back. We'll see.

As a side note... I did inform them that I wasn't about to pay for return shipping, so he e-mailed me a UPS return label. With that, you can take the package back to any place that handles UPS, and drop the package off at no cost to you. If you have't sent yours back yet... AT LEAST call them (remember to have them waive that fee) and get return label sent to you. You do NOT have to pay for return shipping whenever a company sends you the wrong product!!!

At any time, I could have probably cancelled my order, but I'm really curious to see what they'll do. If they just cancel all the orders, they could still be prosecuted for fraud, since they advertised products that they never had, leading into a bait-and-switch scam. They really screwed themselves by doing it a second time, since it's really hard to justify repeating the exact same error after hundreds (maybe even thousands) of returns resulted from the first time. At any rate, I'm waiting to see if they'll substitute another 512MB SD card to fulfill my order. It's really the only thing that they can do without opening themselves up for fraud investigations, since it shows that they made no attempt to profit from the mistake (although the $9.95 phone support cost will hurt them on that argument, as well). Simply issuing refunds, and claiming no profit was derived, won't work, since (#1) not EVERYONE will ask for a refund (This is how all those "get rich quick" and "lose pounds fast" pitches work, even though they offer a full refund), and (#2) by having all that money, even for only a couple days, Buy.com DOES profit. They can earn interest and feed investments with that money, even in the short term. Plus, when it comes to the books, it adds to their sales figures, and the refunds are typically counted separately, and are often simply put down to expenses. When it comes time for the stockholders meetings, this kind of thing can really alter the final numbers. Keep in mind, your one order won't make a difference, but this one product generated hundreds, if not thousands, of orders, and who knows how many other products this has happened with?

At any rate, Buy.com is on really shakey ground here, and with the reputation they seem to have acquired over the last few months (probably longer), I'm thinking that its only a matter of time before they're investigated, and I'd be shocked if they came through an investigation scott-free. Hopefully, they'll do the right thing, and offer substitutions, even if it means taking a financial hit. In the long run, it would be MUCH better than the alternative... but, as they say, time will tell.

I'll keep everyone informed on the progress, although I'm going out of town tomorrow, so they'd better get to the progressing!!!

jt3
07-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Over on FatWallet, a user posted a number that you can use to contact Buy.com without having to put in your credit card number. This will make it much harder to charge you for phone support, but not impossible, so I'd still make sure to ask them to waive any support fees. Still, this looks very promising.

The number is: 1-877-780-2464
No menu options, just wait for a customer service rep. (according to the one who provided the number... I haven't tried this yet myself.)

Kati Compton
07-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Another thing to try is to not press any buttons when you get to the menu on whatever phone # you're normally supposed to use. Generally, phone systems still accomodate the 2 people left in the world w/o touch tone... If you notice, a lot of systems conclude the phone menu with "or stay on the line, and you'll be connected to the operator" or something like that.

jt3
07-17-2003, 05:25 PM
I BELIEVE I tried that. If I remember correctly, this one just says, "The credit card number you entered is invalid... Please try again." After a second try, it tells you that you'll need to call back later with a valid credit card number.

By the way, it does the same thing if you forget to hit the "#" after the credit card number.

Kati Compton
07-17-2003, 05:28 PM
I BELIEVE I tried that. If I remember correctly, this one just says, "The credit card number you entered is invalid... Please try again." After a second try, it tells you that you'll need to call back later with a valid credit card number.

By the way, it does the same thing if you forget to hit the "#" after the credit card number.
It asks for your credit card even before giving you a choice of where to direct your call? Geez.

jt3
07-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Yep... that's right. That's why the other number is better.

By the way, just got an e-Mail from Buy.com. It looks like a broadcast e-mail, so I'm assuming that everyone affectd is going to be getting one. Basically, they claim that the item description was sent to them incorrectly. The appologize for any inconvenience, and state that you should return the product for a full refund. For the trouble, they'll give you a $10 gift cetificate (one per ORDER, not per item). However, they'll only give you the gift card if you reply to the e-Mail.

How Cheesy. Unfortunately, this is a very viable solution, and as I'm sure it went through the corporate lawyers, probably limits any sort of action against them. That's not to say that you shouldn't still contact your state Attorney General, or the FTC, but I can't tell you what will come of it.

I can tell you though... I don't know how I'm going to use that $10 gift certificate, since I'm not going to be ordering from them again.

Kati Compton
07-17-2003, 06:52 PM
I can tell you though... I don't know how I'm going to use that $10 gift certificate, since I'm not going to be ordering from them again.
Find something you like that's $9.99 and free shipping.... that way, they're not actually getting your money.

jt3
07-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It probably has as "minimum purchase" though, or an expiration date that's not too far off. Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

Also, I demanded that they refund ALL my money, including shipping costs, since I shouldn't have to pay to have the wrong item shipped. They said that they would, so we'll see what happens there, too.

Ed Hansberry
07-17-2003, 09:44 PM
I give Buy.com credit here. THey messed up or their supplier did. I really don't think this was intentional. You might could argue it was if we were looking at 256MB SD vs 512MB SD, but XD? There is no chance anyone will keep them.

Mine came this AM and I'll check out the steps in the email to get the return progressing.

jt3
07-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Ed, I would agree with you if this was the first time, but even if this was an honest mistake, why didn't they catch it back on June 21st, when this happened the first time? I find it REALLY hard to believe that they didn't get hundreds of calls and e-mails with that one, and yet they did nothing to fix the problem, and in fact, did the exact same thing again on July 11th, with the exact same part number. You can't even argue that NOTHING changed, because they somehow managed to change the price from $120.95 on 6/21 to $127.95 on 7/11.

In less than three days since I first called to raise holy hell, they released an e-mail acknowledging their mistake. I'm not trying to imply that I caused them THAT much grief... just that I paid for next day shipping, so I was probably one of the first to receive the order, and call their support, so it's a reasonable place to start the clock. Less than three DAYS later, problem "solved," so what the heck happened back in June? That had almost three WEEKS to find it then, and (supposedly) didn't!

Anyway... that's what I'm upset about more than anything... not that I received the wrong part, but that the whole thing stinks of fraud, even if it was, in reality, unintentional. The offer for substitution (if I paid the difference, of course... a classic bait-and-switch), as well as the charge for support calls (which, to their credit, they did waive... but only after I demanded it) doesn't help their case, either, since both of these actions are common scam practices.

Do I think Buy.com, as a company, did it intentionally? Does it matter? SOMEONE at that company had to know what happened back in June, and who knows their reasoning for sitting on it? The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter. People got shafted, and they try to buy us off with a ridiculous $10.00 gift certificate. Anyway, who I really feel sorry for is the poor slobs who got the wrong item, returned it, and waited patiently for a replacement, just to receive the same wrong item. Unacceptable!

Me... I ended up going for the Panasonic card over on Outpost.com, so I'm over it... but that doesn't mean that I'll order from Buy.com again.

The main reason I'm even making a big deal about this is so that people understand what they can do to minimize the damage, as it were. They DON'T have to pay for return shipping. They DON'T have to pay for the support call, and they DON'T have to just lie down and take it from these big companies who don't care in the slightest for customer support. If... IF... they feel that they were the victim of fraud, they can contact their local State Attorney General or the FTC. If these organizations feel that there is a case, they'll investigate it, and the truth will (hopefully) come out. If it was an honest mistake... fine... I'm just pointing out the options.

Whew!!!! Okay, I'm getting dizzy... I think it's the altitude... I'd better hop down off the soapbox now. :lol:

Ed Hansberry
07-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Well, I'll never buy from BUY.COM again. I just got my credit and it was just over $10 shy of what they charged me. I suppose a phonecall is in order. :bad-words:

Ed Hansberry
07-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Those of you getting refunds, check your credit card statement. The rep I talked to said shipping should have been refunded but it was left off of mine. A call to (877) 780-2464 quickly seemingly rectified it. He was very helpful. So now I'll just need to wait a few more days to see if the credit comes through.