View Full Version : WM 2003 File System / ActiveSync Bug in HP 2210/5 ?

Red Dawn
07-11-2003, 03:27 AM
Hi

I'm a new owner of the HP 2210 and thus relatively new to the PPC experience, having came over from the (simpler) Palm OS world :twisted:

I found that sometimes when i copy files to the PocketPC directory in my local hard disk for ActiveSync to pick up to send to my PPC, certain files refused to be moved over or be synced. I've tried everything from copying the same file to a different directory (to avoid possible directory size limitation problems), renaming the files (long file name problems?) to trying to delete and recopy the file into the PPC dir on the local hdd.

The first file with problems i encountered was a .mpg file, the second one is a .jpg file. The weird thing is, these files are in a batch of similar files being copied over to the PPC directory in the local hdd, and everyone of them got activesynced into the ipaq except these 2 files! they just simply wouldn't bulge :? Sort of copying the files to a CF card and then transferring them into the ipaq via copying in the ipaq (which is quite stupid actually) is there a solution?

Is this a file system bug with WM2003 or a known activesync bug? is there any file size limitations, directory size limitations or any file system quirks with WM2003 / PocketPC 2002 that i'm not aware of?

thanks in advance.....

Red Dawn
07-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Hi

nobody has an answer for this? :|

Thefo
07-11-2003, 03:39 PM
I think the general consensus is that ActiveSync is pretty flakey in general....you didn't mention which version of ActiveSync you're using...if it is 3.5/3.6 then maybe try 3.7 ? I personally prefer to copy my files manually via ActiveSync/Explore, or using my multi card reader (which is much faster anyhow) and don't bother using the ActiveSync "Sync Files" option as it is too limiting. There are third party apps called Mighty Synch, and TCSync which allow you to change the location of sync'ed folders but I have never personally tried them. Check to see if the files in question are marked as read only...ActiveSync needs to be able to change the files during transfer and this may be interfering.

Crystal Eitle
07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
I agree with Thefo. I always just drag 'n' drop my files when I need to get them onto my Pocket PC. In ActiveSync, with your PPC connected, click on the Explore button and voila! You can put your files wherever you like on your Pocket PC.