View Full Version : Erase Built-in Storage Before Warranty Exchange

targetdrone
07-11-2003, 12:50 AM
I just got my Axim replaced for a problem I won't discuss here :wink: at this time.

When I powered up the new unit (it has a REFURBISHED sticker on the back), I saw in the built-in storage a backup file labeled 'default'. So thinking I might be able to try a program I don't already have, I did a restore using the file.

Well, there were no programs...but there was the past owners personal information. ALL of it.

Now I could have done some damage with the info contained there, but I'm not that kind of a person :angel:

I deleted the file and info and reset the Axim. But I learned that Dell doesn't clear the memory before they send it back out. So protect your personal information and delete it before exchanging your Axim.

dwildone
07-11-2003, 12:52 AM
hmmm... Thats scary

Kati Compton
07-11-2003, 12:53 AM
8O

dh
07-11-2003, 01:17 AM
I would have thought that Dell's refurbish program would include deleting everything and re-installing the ROM.
Obviously not. :(
When I returned my defective Axim I made a point of reseting and deleting everything. Looks as though everyone needs to make a point of doing this or your info could end up anywhere.

mr_Ray
07-16-2003, 08:35 AM
This is especially scary in the event of total failure such as I experienced. There's no way for you to clear it yourself.

Once I get a working PPC I was planning on using the builtin storage for sensitive information that I thought would be more secure there than on a removable card. Now I'm not so sure.