View Full Version : T-Mobile PPC Phone Windows Mobile 2003 Upgrade -- Where???

Cortex
07-11-2003, 12:28 AM
where is it???

:cry:

Jason Dunn
07-11-2003, 12:36 AM
No idea, but I just emailed a contact I have at T-Mobile, so perhaps I can get you some answers.

Cortex
07-11-2003, 04:34 PM
No idea, but I just emailed a contact I have at T-Mobile, so perhaps I can get you some answers.

EXCELLENT!!! 8)

Cortex
08-01-2003, 11:06 PM
still waiting...

Cortex
08-03-2003, 06:31 PM
:sleeping:

Monty Gibson
08-04-2003, 07:13 PM
:sleeping:

Cortex,

I don't know about you; but, from what I've been hearing I think I'd wait. Do you have a lot of 3rd party applications, games, etc? I've been looking at the software vendors and I'd say probably 1% have a fix for the software programs I use on a daily basis. No thank you; not that eager to have 2003 on my device yet. Plus, I've heard of some bugs in 2003. I can only imagine that there are some in the Phone Edition as well. I think I'm going to sit on this until the next T-Mobile PPCPE comes out later this year or early next. By then there will probably be a 2004 :lol:.

Cortex
08-05-2003, 01:37 AM
i agree, half my software will probably stop working.

but... even though im overall disappointed with what little changes occurred with 2003, there are some things that would nice.

i use letter recognizer with word completion a lot and read that 2003 fixed the annoying problem with accidental "." killing the word completion. (we will ignore that fact that microsoft still allows a "." to be entered in the text areas instead of restricting it to the punctuation area :evil: )

it would be fun to play with and maybe the radio upgrade will help with the crappy coverage where i live.

Monty Gibson
08-05-2003, 02:48 PM
i agree, half my software will probably stop working.

but... even though im overall disappointed with what little changes occurred with 2003, there are some things that would nice.

i use letter recognizer with word completion a lot and read that 2003 fixed the annoying problem with accidental "." killing the word completion. (we will ignore that fact that microsoft still allows a "." to be entered in the text areas instead of restricting it to the punctuation area :evil: )

it would be fun to play with and maybe the radio upgrade will help with the crappy coverage where i live.

Yes, I agree, it seems that an "upgrade" really isn't. All that I can see that I truly would want out of it would be the Windows Media 9 Player. I fly a lot and rip DVD's to my Pocket PC and the better video quality would have been nice. But, again, not that eager when 99.9% of my apps would stop working.

My wife uses letter recognizer too and that irritates her too :devilboy: <---Her when she's upset :lol:. So, I can relate to your aggravation. I live in an area where cellular towers are one every two feet it seems :roll: and when I travel it's always within a T-Mobile area so I'm grateful on that aspect. I didn't know they did a radio upgrade. That's excellent then! I hope the best for you when it finally arrives. However, the closer the 4th quarter approaches us, the more I wonder if they are just going to wait to put the upgrade out with the newer device. I hope now, that would leave a LOT of people upset.

mty
08-05-2003, 03:39 PM
I'll wait until the official release, but I'm looking forward to the upgraded web browser. After 9 months of using PIE and 3rd parties (also with their quirks), I'm hoping the new version comes through with the promised improvements.

Birdman
08-06-2003, 09:27 PM
Just on the topic of PIE, I recently came across this web site http://216.103.91.135/rfxDM/ppcframe.php which renders graphic intensive web pages in a very PPC friendly format. I have been using it with my XDA and so far, I have found it to be excellent. It has virtually removed the majority (if not all) side to side scrolling.

RobertoLV_
08-08-2003, 07:11 AM
One version of the T-MOBILE NEW ROM is now in the xda-developers, the people tested and is working very good, I hope so tomoroow Update my T-Mo too.

See you.
======

Una nueva versiion del T-Mobile esta en xda-developers, la gente que lo probo dice que esta muy bien, espero mañana instalarselo al mio.

Nos vemos.

Jon Westfall
08-12-2003, 11:42 PM
If someone over at T-mobile really wanted to make its PPC customers happy, they'd spend 5 minutes to write a page that says "Hey - we know Windows Mobile 2003 is out, we're going to have an upgrade available, sometime next <week, month, year, decade>". It would make me happy - after all, its better to know for a sure fact that its on its way and have to wait than have it just magically show up one day.

And if you've found that page at t-mobile.com, please post a link!

Cortex
08-14-2003, 05:59 AM
:zzz:

Janak Parekh
08-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Cortex, have you tried calling/emailing them?

--janak

Cortex
08-15-2003, 05:02 PM
nah

i enjoy the pain of waiting...

jonlien2003
08-23-2003, 06:02 AM
Cortex,

You are a gluttony for punishment.

Keep holding your breath...

wbierman
11-05-2003, 07:43 AM
http://www.t-mobile.com/promos/ppc2003/default.asp

T-Mobile is pleased to announce the upcoming launch of the Pocket PC 2003 Phone Edition Upgrade. The upgrade includes many new features, and it's FREE for all existing T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition customers ($30 value).

As more information is available, this page will be updated, so please check back again.

Cortex
11-09-2003, 05:37 AM
http://www.t-mobile.com/promos/ppc2003/default.asp

T-Mobile is pleased to announce the upcoming launch of the Pocket PC 2003 Phone Edition Upgrade. The upgrade includes many new features, and it's FREE for all existing T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition customers ($30 value).

As more information is available, this page will be updated, so please check back again.

coming soon.....

Cortex
11-11-2003, 12:48 AM
somebody had posted an actual release date for this upgrade but i cant seem to find it anywhere...

can someone remind me?

i remember it being around Nov 14th or so...

CMBurt
11-14-2003, 02:32 PM
I've been running WM2003 4.00.21 ENG for 4 days now with the AT&T RS A.20.10 and life is good. The new OS is much faster than 02, the new Media player 9, the always on GPRS, the ability to run MS Voice Command, IMO this is a must...

Cortex
11-14-2003, 09:30 PM
they seemed to have removed their promo page for the upgrade...

does this mean its about to be released?

i cant find it anywhere if it has....

there's a guy on this forum (http://xda-developers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3335)that also thought it was going to be released today. i think i read that somewhere....

Cortex
11-18-2003, 11:26 PM
:mecry: !?!?! (http://xda-developers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3741)

Janak Parekh
11-18-2003, 11:45 PM
I see that as a good thing, actually. They're clearly working towards a release. I'd rather see it delayed a few weeks than broken...

--janak

robinton
12-02-2003, 09:30 PM
1. The web page pointed out earlier has been unavailiable for several weeks now.
2. Latest response recieved from T-Mobile Technical support:
"
Response (Denia) - 12/02/2003 11:47 AM
Dear Rxxxxx Hxxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We do apologize for the delay in our specific answer regarding the 2003 Pocket PC upgrade. At this time, we have received word from Microsoft and unfortunately, we will not be releasing the 2003 Pocket PC upgrade. We do regret any inconvenience that this may cause you. If you have any other comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.

Sincerely,

T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Denia
Web Overseer
"
Looks llike it is not going to be released by T-Mobile.

CMBurt
12-02-2003, 10:15 PM
1. The web page pointed out earlier has been unavailiable for several weeks now.
2. Latest response recieved from T-Mobile Technical support:
"
Response (Denia) - 12/02/2003 11:47 AM
Dear Rxxxxx Hxxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We do apologize for the delay in our specific answer regarding the 2003 Pocket PC upgrade. At this time, we have received word from Microsoft and unfortunately, we will not be releasing the 2003 Pocket PC upgrade. We do regret any inconvenience that this may cause you. If you have any other comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Denia
Web Overseer
"
Looks llike it is not going to be released by T-Mobile.

I called and the bonehead that answered said that the upgrade was on the way, but no release date. I also sent in an email asking the same to see if the response is different.

Cortex
12-03-2003, 04:46 AM
i doubt they discontinued the 2003 release. its much more likely you found someone in support who doesnt know what they are talking about (especially since i doubt microsoft has anything to do with t-mobile not releasing a rom upgrade) rather than actually finding someone who is incredibly knowledgeable...

there is ongoing chat about the beta review including a leaked copy of the very dangerous and buggy ROM upgrade > HERE (http://xda-developers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3335&start=25)<

so it appears to be a work in progress.

according to that thread, they are working on fixing an SD card erasing bug...

Arkhangel
12-04-2003, 07:02 AM
Cortex:

To confirm your suspicion, this showed up as well on http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1659

T-Mobile was the first carrier to deliver the Microsoft Pocket PC Phone Edition and is committed to the support of this product. We will be providing the 2003 upgrade to our customers.

The standard Pocket PC 2003 version, used by many Pocket PC PDA's, doesn't include the needed software and hardware to operate as a phone. The additional time need for integration and testing ensures the highest level of customer satisfaction.

Chris Archey
Product Manager Pocket PC Phone Edition
T-Mobile

robinton
12-04-2003, 02:40 PM
As I stated in the other threads.... Yay! My guess is that I irritated the Web support folks sufficiently (By maintaining a ticket open for over two months) that they just posted something to 'get rid of the pest'. I am Extremely pleased to see feedback from someone at T-Mobile which contradicts the statement I was given.

Robert

Cortex
12-17-2003, 08:58 PM
perhaps this thread should be renamed Windows Mobile 2004 :?

craigs241
12-19-2003, 04:12 AM
Now they say 1st Q 2004 however someone on the Handango site was saying how much they love the MS Voice on their T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone edition. How is that possible? Are the new phones coming out with 2003?

perhaps this thread should be renamed Windows Mobile 2004 :?

Janak Parekh
12-19-2003, 04:24 AM
Now they say 1st Q 2004 however someone on the Handango site was saying how much they love the MS Voice on their T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone edition. How is that possible? Are the new phones coming out with 2003?
Could it be the German ones (i.e., XDA IIs)?

--janak

craigs241
12-19-2003, 04:33 AM
Not sure, since the post was very "americanized" and a comcast email address I am assuming here. However I did email the person who wrote the OP and hopefully can find a solution.

I really wanted it just for voice dialing so was trying Fonix, but not very successful.

Could it be the German ones (i.e., XDA IIs)?

--janak

ddevilx2
12-19-2003, 03:15 PM
go out to http://xda-developers.com and upgrade to a beta version of the T-mobile 2003 software. Help is there and the downloads for different versions are at http://www.yorch.net
Hope this helps - some have a few minor issues, but always on gprs as well as running voice command are worth the glitches!

craigs241
12-19-2003, 04:22 PM
I am going to try to work with FONIX first since all I really want is dial access via voice since the T-mobile is not the easiest to dial when moving. The other items I really don't care much about, most likely would never us them. So far I find Fonix in the "eh" category. But really had no time to really work with it in a quiet room.

quote="ddevilx2"]go out to http://xda-developers.com and upgrade to a beta version of the T-mobile 2003 software. Help is there and the downloads for different versions are at http://www.yorch.net
Hope this helps - some have a few minor issues, but always on gprs as well as running voice command are worth the glitches![/quote]

robinton
12-27-2003, 06:21 AM
Finally managed to get a straight-forward response from T-Mobile on one of my tickets (Only took 4 months...) .... Edit here.... I should note that this was via their Web-Based support, the Phone based folks, while not usually having the information I am looking for have been decent. ...End Edit...
Here it is:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We just received word through our launch news today and found that we will be receiving the Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade. The following features are being made available with the release of the 2003 upgrade. All customers using Pocket PC 2002 will be recommended to upgrade to this version. There will also be many new applications available to download for these customers.

Feature Benefits
True Always On New 'Always Up-to-Date' functionality allows you to keep current with your email, appointments and contacts while on the go.

Customized scheduled synchronization gives you control over when and how often you update your data. When integrated with the new Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, your Pocket PC Phone Edition can be set to synchronize whenever there is a new e-mail, calendar appointment, or contact on your Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server.

T-Mobile MyEmail
Use your phone to browse your e-mail.

With t-zones and MyEmail you can read, reply and compose e-mail messages whenever, wherever you are. You can access POP3 e-mail accounts (Yahoo, MindSpring, Earthlink, etc.) and even view your AOL® e-mail account.

Note: With t-zones Pro you can access your corporate e-mail, contacts, and calendar.

Enhanced Messaging Support
Composing e-mail and SMS messages is now easier than ever with Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC. The new auto-suggest feature suggests e-mail addresses as you type so that you find them more quickly. Auto-correct automatically fixes common spelling errors as you type so your messages are more accurate. Signature support eliminates the need to re-type a closing for every message. Together, these features help you respond faster while you are on the go.

Connectivity Modifications
The Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC Phone Edition features new connectivity notifications that are more informative and actionable. Simply tap on the signal strength indicator and you can now quickly see your phone and data connections, turn them on or off, or change your settings via Connection Manager.

Richer Ring Tone support
Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Phone Edition now supports playback of both Windows Media and MIDI ring tones. Now you have even more flexibility to personalize your Pocket PC Phone Edition using your favorite sounds or music files as ring tones or reminders.

Quick Contacts Search
The optimized contact search in Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Phone Edition enables you to find key contacts more quickly. Simply type any portion of either the contact's first or last name and Windows Mobile 2003 software will find the contact for you.

Because contacts are integrated with the phone application, you can now more quickly find and communicate with those who are important to you.

Call Muting
The new call mute icon enables you to mute a call in progress without turning off the system sounds.

Windows Media Player 9 support
Do more exciting digital media on your Windows Mobile 2003-based Pocket PC Phone Edition! Offering better performance and new experiences with your music, home movies and more, Windows Media Player 9 Series for Pocket PC now brings the high quality benefits of Windows Media 9 Series to the Pocket PC Phone Edition. New support for industry-leading Windows Media 9 Series Audio and Video and the ability to playback local or streaming broadband content at data rates of 300kbs combine to deliver the richest and highest quality mobile entertainment experience available on the Pocket PC Phone Edition.

Integration of Contacts to SMS
Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Phone Edition has several new features that improve the Short Message Service (SMS) experience.

The new SMS caller identification compares and matches incoming SMS numbers with your contacts so you know who is sending you a message. SMS callback gives you the flexibility to call the SMS sender back either when the message first arrives or when the message is open. The new character counter lets you see and control the size of the message as you compose. Offline access to your SMS messages allows you to compose messages and send them all together at your convenience.

Real Keyboard Navigation
When a Pocket PC with the new OS detects a keyboard (built-in or added), it automatically enables "menu mnemonics" (those underlined visual hints in a menu that tell you which keys to press). It also enables "Auto Menu Accelerators" (chorded keys such as Control-C for copy) so you can navigate even faster. On Pocket PCs with an integrated keyboard, navigation and application keys allow you to launch and move around in applications. Finally, the addition of the "SYM" key makes it easier to enter accented characters for foreign languages.

Phone Mute and Volume Control
The new Pocket PC Phone Edition gives you the ultimate flexibility to customize your personal information management and phone experiences for different environments. The new dual volume control separates the phone's ringer volume and the Pocket PC's system volume, so you can choose the right volume for each depending on the situation. In quiet environments, the new one-touch ringer shutoff allows you to immediately silence the ringer while still allowing you to answer the call. In noisy environments, the ability to adjust the call volume while dialing helps you hear more clearly.

Between January and March of 2004, customers who have the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition will be receive a message regarding the official Pocket PC 2003 phone upgrade. If you do not receive a message during the timeframe given above please let us know. We do regret that this information was not given in a timely manner. We also apologize for any inconvenience that it may have caused. If you have any other comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

T-Mobile USA, Inc.
Denia
Web Overseer

-----
So: it looks like they are now admitting to the fact that this upgrade will be availiable in the US.

Robert Harrold

craigs241
12-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Glad to hear it.. I finally gave up 100% on Fonix. It only seemed to work about 10% of the time. Very frustrating program.

Cortex
12-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Glad to hear it.. I finally gave up 100% on Fonix. It only seemed to work about 10% of the time. Very frustrating program.

i'm suprised you had so much trouble with it. do you have a lot of contacts?

i have hundreds of contacts and i did have trouble when i depended on the automatic voice recognition assigned to the contacts. but, i typically only call 50 contacts routinely and if i manually assigned a voice command to those contacts it was flawless. it also did a great job with verbal phone number recognition.

with regard to the t-mobile upgrade release, i'm still looking forward to it but it is taking them forever!

craigs241
12-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Yes, because it sync's with my business outlook. I assigned my voice to many of them but it would just keep bringing up wrong people and failed even worse on numbers.

I asked others to try the numbers in case it was just me and it still failed. By the time we got it to work for one number we could have pulled off the road, made the call, ended the call, had some coffee and rotated tires.

It may have something to do with my Outlook files being converted to Pocket Informant files, but it does not seem to like the address book and since some names show as duplicates there is no feature to see what is what in the contacts of Fonix so it is all just a guessing game.

i'm suprised you had so much trouble with it. do you have a lot of contacts?

i have hundreds of contacts and i did have trouble when i depended on the automatic voice recognition assigned to the contacts. but, i typically only call 50 contacts routinely and if i manually assigned a voice command to those contacts it was flawless. it also did a great job with verbal phone number recognition.

with regard to the t-mobile upgrade release, i'm still looking forward to it but it is taking them forever!

shareez
01-13-2004, 04:29 PM
i have the t-mobile ppcpe...was wondering if i can have different ringtones for different people who call so i know who is calling b4 i look at the caller id...

can n e one answer this question

surur
01-13-2004, 09:34 PM
i have the t-mobile ppcpe...was wondering if i can have different ringtones for different people who call so i know who is calling b4 i look at the caller id...

can n e one answer this question

Try Caller2Picture (http://www.v2r.ag/?page=/Products/pocketpc.php&language=en&t=false) with which you can assign ring tones and pictures to each contact.

Works for me.

Surur

craigs241
01-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Any news yet?

I guess Germany is the only place to get the T-Mobile upgrade.

It is getting harder to get information out of T-Mobile.

Cortex
01-21-2004, 01:00 AM
not a peep

its amazing its taking so long -- they will probably be selling the xda2 by the time they release it -- if at all :(

Dave123
02-08-2004, 10:15 AM
The upgrade should out less than 30 days.According to this news site.Keeping my fingers crossed :D
http://msmobiles.com/news.php/1910.html

koponet
02-20-2004, 08:07 AM
German ROM and screenshots are here:

http://www.mathiaspohl.de/mda

regards, Koponet

craigs241
02-27-2004, 07:10 PM
The upgrade should out less than 30 days.According to this news site.Keeping my fingers crossed :D
http://msmobiles.com/news.php/1910.html

:| :| :| :| :| :|

Unreal how long it takes... like microsoft... coming out now, no, now, no, soon, maybe, now, no..

Cortex
03-06-2004, 12:58 AM
> RUMORS < (http://207.36.160.46/~admin1/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=870&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

craigs241
03-06-2004, 01:04 AM
I want the upgrade

T-Mobile is starting to make people ANGRY... don't you think?

Cortex
03-11-2004, 03:50 PM
HERE IT IS!!!!

> X < (http://www.t-mobile.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/download_popup.asp)

craigs241
03-11-2004, 04:43 PM
NO, that is the old ROM upgrade from 2002

Not what anyone wants.. sorry.

HERE IT IS!!!!

> X < (http://www.t-mobile.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/download_popup.asp)

Janak Parekh
03-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Did you actually try downloading it? It is the 2003 upgrade.

Now that it's out, I'm going to lock this thread and suggest people comment in my release post:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25566&highlight=

thanks,

--janak