View Full Version : Reminders freezing up on 2003!

MultiMatt
07-10-2003, 09:21 PM
I am having a weird thing happen with my BRAND NEW iPAQ 5555 running Windows Mobile 2003.
Whilst the device is sitting in the cradle, a reminder will go off and not entirely appear. The unit will freeze in that condition. Nothing shy of a soft reset will fix it! Here is a shot of what I see (had to use my camera, since there was no other way to get a screen grab!):
http://pocketpclouisville.com/images/frozen_reminder.jpg

Has anyone else seen this? Is it due to something I have installed, or is this happening with other people's 5555's? I have all of the same software that I had on my 5455, but I know that SOME stuff is acting buggy on the new OS...

Matt

Chris Spera
07-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Matt,

check this thread:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14778

Give Jason's troubleshooting steps a try and see what happens. You should know that they involve a least 1 hard reset.

Back up your device, hard reset and then follow the rest of his process.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

daverph
07-10-2003, 10:39 PM
I've been having the same trouble with a new 5555. I couldn't see the screenshot you posted, but on mine I can't make out the subject, only the date + time. The last time it happened was about 30 min. ago. I turned on the ipaq and the reminder that never went off at 430 showed up and froze. When I soft reset the reminder comes up immediately. I was thinking it might be PI 4.5, but there's a chance it's something else. I've also been having the sluggish wake-up that Ed mentioned about his 2215. Oh, and PIE has been extremely flaky- not starting up, no response after a couple of soft resets, and just when I'm ready to hard reset it starts working again. I'm feeling like this 5555 is as bad as the 5455 it replaced.
Anybody else with a solution?
Dave

MultiMatt
07-10-2003, 11:17 PM
This will make the 2nd Hard Reset in ONE day of owning the thing! Aye, carumba! (the first reset was because OmegaOne's Battery Pack froze during install). I never did install that app...

Given the comments on this thread as well as the other thread you pointed to, Chris, it sounds to me like there is a definite ROM issue. It's still early in the game, but I think over the next few weeks, this topic (freezing or non-responding alarms) will be re-visited a LOT.

I'm going to hold off from doing a hard reset for now, and see what turns up. I'll bet they are quietly looking into the issue right now...

FYI - I initially thought that the freezing issue was only happening in the cradle. I just now had an alarm go off (with the device sitting by itself), and WHAMMO - it froze. I'd also like to note that it does NOT happen every time....

Matt

safelder
07-10-2003, 11:28 PM
I've experienced the same problems on both a 2215 (I returned it because it wouldn't wake up to sound reminders) and with my current 5555. It's pretty much a useless device to me if I have to have it on in order to be reminded of meetings, etc.

I would agree that it sounds like an OS issue rather than an installed software issue (I had the problem with a brand new 2215). Hopefully a fix is forthcoming...

Kayanne
07-11-2003, 12:26 AM
I found out that neighter the alarms (alarmclock) nor the reminders went off as they where supposed to. But when I started the ipaq then they went of. I don't know if there are any pattern, but there are only very few reminders/alarms that work as they are supposed to. I also very often found that reminders freezed my unit so I had tio do a softreset. And after the reminders/alarms vent off (to late of cours).

Also it seems like I have som problems connecting my isp for downloading mail. Somtimes it work, others it will not work. And after a softreset it works fine.

The only progs I have installed is Snails, mPhone2.6 and pocket pluss (which I now have uninstalled to see if there are any conflicts-but I dont think so because I had the problems before installing it as well).

I have noticed that many others has had these problems, so I'm quite sure that this is eighter a issue for ppt2003 or a problem with rom. As I understand there are problems with other ppt2003 than ipaq as well, so I do'nt think this is a hardware problem.

I saw a interesting article at pocketpc thoughts some minutes ago about units beeing slow at startup.

Quote:

"Is Your 2215 Sluggish When You Turn It On?
Posted by Ed Hansberry @ 03:00 PM

When I got my 2215, it was incredibly fast but as always, things seemed to slow down just a bit as I loaded applications on it. One area in particular that was frustrating was powering on. It would often take 2-3 seconds for the device to be usable. Once on, it was fast, but that "resume" time was getting to be a real frustration.

I mentioned this to another Mobile MVP, Jared Miniman and he said his 2215 didn't exhibit this behavior but he recalled an experience he had with a Toshiba e700 series. He suggested I remove my CF card and see if that helped. Boy, did it ever! Now the device powers up just as fast as the day I bought it. Apparently there is something either in the Windows CE OS or some implementations of CF drivers that when resuming can take some extra time. Leaving my SD card in has caused no such problems. My Jornada 565 doesn't exhibit this behavior, nor did any previous iPAQs with the CF sleeve in place, but this may be unique to dual slot devices. I'll need to do some testing with my Axim. Fortunately for me, my biggest card is the SD card and I only use my CF memory card for music, so leaving it out is no big deal."

I wonder if that could have anything with the reminder/alarm problem to do???

If f.i the CF card steals to many resources on wakeup, or if there are any kind of other conflicts it could possible mess up the alarm/reminders???

So I wonder if those of you that having these problems if you are using cf cards as well. Im using a 512 kingston.

I think I wil try to take out the CF card and test the alarm/reminders then.

Best regards

Kay-Aage
[email protected]

MultiMatt
07-11-2003, 12:33 AM
I took my CF sleeve off, did a soft reset, and then created a test appointment for a few minutes out.
The reminder went off - the unit froze up.

This sucks incredibly! :cry:

Matt

MultiMatt
07-11-2003, 01:24 AM
Okay - something is definitely wrong with the OS, and it has to do with the screen refresh or something like that (I don't profess to know the technical stuff).
I had my 5555 cradled, and pressed the Inbox hardware button. This is what I got:
http://pocketpclouisville.com/images/frozen_Inbox.jpg

I used to open my Inbox ALL the time with my 5455 cradled, and it worked fine.

Notice that the top and the bottom appeared, but not the main screen! It's still stuck on the Today screen! It did NOT freeze the unit, but the Inbox would NOT appear until I did a soft reset...

Somethin's up! :confused totally:

Matt

dequardo
07-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Uh, PocketPlus is the culprit here. Remove it (or disable 'Repeating Alarms') and your problems will disappear.

mike

Kayanne
07-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Something other odd happened to me as well. Every thursday i have a reminder at 10:00 (to 10:10) to remind me for caffe latte time. First thing it did not went off, but today it is friday but my thursday appointment was still stuck in the todayscreen. But after adding some new appointments for friday, and a soft reset, the thursday appointment dissapeared.

best regards
Kay-Aage
[email protected]

daverph
07-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Uh, PocketPlus is the culprit here. Remove it (or disable 'Repeating Alarms') and your problems will disappear.

mike

"Thanks Mr. Obvious, you're a lifesaver".

OK, I'll bite, where did I miss the clues to solving this puzzle? I had the latest pocketplus installed, but none of the modules were activated. After reading your post I removed it, reset, and had the PIE problem again. Reset twice more, gave up, went to sleep, woke up and PIE is working again. I don't know if I can take this any longer. I've been using ppcs for 2+ years and it seems like things are getting worse instead of better. Maybe it's time to go back to a paper planner, or take a look at the new Clies.
Dave

dequardo
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM

mike

"Thanks Mr. Obvious, you're a lifesaver".

OK, I'll bite, where did I miss the clues to solving this puzzle? I had the latest pocketplus installed, but none of the modules were activated. After reading your post I removed it, reset, and had the PIE problem again. Reset twice more, gave up, went to sleep, woke up and PIE is working again. I don't know if I can take this any longer. I've been using ppcs for 2+ years and it seems like things are getting worse instead of better. Maybe it's time to go back to a paper planner, or take a look at the new Clies.
Dave

Bob and Tom Enterprises. :-)

I can't explain why you had the problems even when the modules weren't selected. In my case I simply removed the pgm. I expect a rather quick turnaround from them with an update.

Mike

MultiMatt
07-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Okay - it's Friday morning, and from reading all of the latest replies to this thread, I have removed Pocket Plus.
My 5555 is cradled here at my desk and I have several reminders that will be due to go off throughout the day...

I'll report my findings! Fingers crossed!

On a separate note, last night I was surfing with Pocket IE and several times, the app just closed, right out of the blue! Uh oh...! I know others have mentioned IE issues.... :worried:

Matt

MultiMatt
07-11-2003, 07:26 PM
I don't want to speak too soon, but it does appear like the issue has gone away upon removing spb's Pocket Plus...

I've had reminders going off all day, and not a single one has freaked out.

If it is indeed Pocket Plus, I hope they identify and resolve the issue soon - I really use that app a LOT!
:alfdance:
Matt

WillyG
07-12-2003, 12:00 PM
I don't want to speak too soon, but it does appear like the issue has gone away upon removing spb's Pocket Plus...

I've had reminders going off all day, and not a single one has freaked out.

If it is indeed Pocket Plus, I hope they identify and resolve the issue soon - I really use that app a LOT!
:alfdance:
Matt

Thats my findings too. Uninstalled SPB Pocket Plus, and things seem to have brightened up. To early for delivering judgment, but ironically Pocket Plus, wich saved the day on PPC2002, seems to do the oposite on WM2003. Would be nice to hear from others with similar/different discoveries.

MultiMatt
07-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Over a full day of using the 5555 without Pocket Plus, and no issues.

I'll be glad when they fix it! I miss that app! :roll:

Matt

Jerry Raia
07-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Same result here, removed Pocket plus, problem gone on my 5555.

I'm sure they will fix it soon.

Ed Hansberry
07-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Unfortunately you do have to remove it. disabling the repeating alarms feature in Pocket Plus isn't enough. :(

Jerry Raia
07-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Has anyone contacted the maker? I really liked that app!

Ed Hansberry
07-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Has anyone contacted the maker? I really liked that app!They are aware of it and working on it.

chunkymonkey75
07-12-2003, 09:45 PM
I have an HP h2215 and installed the app as well and contacted the software vendor and got the following responce from them:

Dear Mr. Pint,

Unfortunately, this is a conflict with Pocket Plus and Windows Mobile that
we have missed. We are now working on a fix for this problem that will be
introduced with the next release of Pocket Plus. Meanwhile, you may consider
to switch off the repeating alarms functionality in Pocket Plus (from
Start->Settings->System->Pocket Plus) to avoid this problem.

Best regards,
Andrei Yurkevich
Customer Support Team
Spb Software House
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.softspb.com
Phone: +7 812 324 49 44

I tried switching off the notifications just like he said and it still ended up locking up the iPaq. I hope they come up with a fix soon. I loved that app!

that_kid
07-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Good find, I know spb will have this corrected shortly.

Mexico
07-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Well, my 2215 also freezes, without waking up when an alarm is supposed to go off. However, I DO NOT have Pocket Plus installed... :|
I do have Battery Pack. I'm gonna uninstall it to see if this is creating the same problem as Pocket Plus.

M

Deus
07-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Battery Pack does not have this problem. Works fine so far. No problems

SHoTTa35
07-14-2003, 03:42 PM
i do think it's a screen refresh problem.... i notice sometimes that images are left over (sorta like screen burn) on the lower half... example. I closed Internet explorer and was back to the today desktop but it still displayed "file, home, favorites" and those stuff down there instead of the taskbar at the bottom (for peoples with Ipaq 2215s, where the Bluetooth icon is ) where the NEW button is. I don't have none of that extra stuff installed. I normally keep it fresh using what i have built in. If i'm gonna pay for it then i should use it!!

Oh and my second post here.... just joined 10mins ago .. got the ipaq 3 or so days ago :) Loving it!!