View Full Version : standby tab on 2210

Hank Scorpio
07-10-2003, 05:16 PM
if you look at the power settings on the ipaq 2210, there's a standby tab tells you how much time you have left plus the appx standby period in hours, I have 9.3 hours left of use, and 72 hours of standby time, what I don't get is there's a slider for the standby Period? I guess it's for when you want your ipaq to go into standby, but why would you want it to wait 72 or 96 hours to go into standby mode?. Just thought this was cool/different, and was wondering if this was new for Microsoft Mobile 2003.

rzanology
07-10-2003, 05:37 PM
It is also like that in 2002...i always ment to ask about it but i always forgot...maybe some one can help us now.

droppedd
07-10-2003, 06:07 PM
what does that even mean, "standby time?" I understand it's not really off when you press the power button (everything is still in RAM)... does it really take that much power to keep info in the RAM that it can only stay without a hard reset for 3 days?

edit: Actually i think i figgered it out now... I think the slider is for how long you want it to be able to remain in standby mode once it turns itself off due to low battery. That is, the iPaq will shut itself off with enough juice to keep the contents of RAM for x hours. The bigger X is, the lower powered-on battery life you will experience (as it needs more juice for a longer standby period). So if, for example, you need the longest battery life but know you'll be charging it by nighttime, slide it to the left. Pretty cute, and if you want extra insurance on your information (not that you need it - you're using iPaq Backup regularly, right? :wink:) you can slide it to the right.

It would be more intuitive if they just called it "Hours after battery drainage to Hard Reset," but that sounds kinda intimidating.

Don't Panic!
07-10-2003, 06:12 PM
It's more like a hard reset preventer when your not charging it for awhile. On my 3970 I have left the device unattended for 4 days without losing any data the standby slider was on 72. Think of it as a backup to the backup battery. :)

Don't Panic!
Bobby

msdawe
07-10-2003, 07:07 PM
The slider is to adjust the time the unit will remain in standby without turning on. Realize the backup battery on the 221x is there to allow you to change the main battery and maintain your data. It will only maintain your data for about 30 minutes or so.

If you set that slider to 72 hours then when the machine calculates that it can only maintain standby for 72 hours using the main battery it will suspend and continue suspending until you charge it. The backup battery won't hold your contents of RAM if your main battery is drained.

Standby is the state the machine is in when it looks like it is off. If you press the power button to turn it off or it turns off after a time-out then it is in standby.

I hope this helps.