View Full Version : Exchanging due to scuffed rubber grips?

gtmtnbiker98
07-10-2003, 03:45 AM
I am contemplating the exchange of my one week old H2215 due to the included case scratching my rubber grips. Although the scuffs are not that bad, I cannot stand the thought of having a new handheld that is scuffed up already. Is anyone else considering the exchange of their handheld due to these scuffs? Call me anal, but $399 is $399.

Jason Dunn
07-10-2003, 03:53 AM
It's fairly soft rubber, which makes it comfortable to hold, but not as durable as hard rubber. I think you can pick one of the two options, but not have both. :wink:

Brad Adrian
07-10-2003, 03:54 AM
If you're unhappy with it, go ahead and try to exchange it (and never use the included case with your new one). I'm not sure what HP was thinking when they threw that PDA tourniquet into the 2215's box, but I really don't like it, either.

Ed Hansberry
07-10-2003, 04:10 AM
I used it for one week out of necessity but never again. I'm not trading mine in. I'll live with the scratches. I'll live with a lot to not have to reactivate Audible again. Have I told you how much I hate Audible's software...?

solus
07-10-2003, 05:24 AM
Put some tape inside the case to smooth it out, that may help....random thought.

Enderet
07-10-2003, 07:31 AM
What I went ahead and did after another person posted it, was put my graphing calculator (Ti-89) in it, and that will stretch it out nicely.

droppedd
07-10-2003, 06:50 PM
What I went ahead and did after another person posted it, was put my graphing calculator (Ti-89) in it, and that will stretch it out nicely.

Fond memories of rubber-banding a ball inside of a new baseball glove to break it in when i was a kid... this is the geek version of that :-)

I've been careful with that case so far, and stretched it a little by hand... I think i'll leave my TI-83 in it overnight just to be safe. Still waiting for the flip cover to come out... grumble... you know, for such a nicely designed device they could at least have put a little thought into the case... even my old b&w clie came with just a flip cover (alas, the holes on the back are not in the same position, so I can't use it on my 2210 :cry:).

Mexico
07-11-2003, 02:14 AM
I returned mine. The gal at Best Buy was great. Then I bought a Zire case. Works pretty good for now.

RichardL890
07-11-2003, 03:27 AM
I'm not sure if this is good advice, but I've had some white streak lines on mine too because of the dumb case. All I did was rub the grips with a wet finger and it came off, heh.

Mystery905
07-11-2003, 03:19 PM
My 3950 got a scratch on the lower right side of the CASING because of the included cover pack.

I sent it back to www.cendirect.com who exchanged it for me.

This happened less than 1 day I got the unit, and I was extremely careful with it.

so now I am using a leather holster that is much better.

madbart
07-12-2003, 01:56 PM
It has me dumb-founded as to why they keep supplying they crappy cases that keep scratching the units. It would be easier for them just to supply a slip case like the old 3600 series and cop a bit of flak over that than the exchange of all these units that are scratched. :?

coppertop
07-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Wonder how we can start a grass roots effort to get a flip cover out of HP?

chunkymonkey75
07-12-2003, 09:59 PM
My stupid case managed to not only scuff up the rubber grips but pull one of them off as well. I only had it for a few hours before that happened. I returned it the next day and Best Buy returned it, no problems! I ended up buying the following case for it:

http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=CH046

It is designed for the Palm M500 series but it looks and works great!

I friend of mine (with acid for sweat), handled the new iPaq and ended up marking up one of the rubber sides a little anyway. Oh, well. I wouldn't give it back for my old h3855 for anything.

mortbrew
07-13-2003, 07:12 PM
...but the grips come off. They are completly removable. If you push on the tapered end of the grip and slide up, they come off. You could clean them of even order replacements from HP. No idea what the cost is. I agree the case sucks! I'm only using it until I can get a nice leather flip one somewhere. I'd post a pic, but how do I do that?[/img]

droppedd
07-13-2003, 07:26 PM
holy cow - he's right. I'd post a photo as well, but my camera isn't here right now. I hadn't even tried that, I just figured i'd wind up rubbing off even more of the grip.

Wonder if we could call HP and get them to just send us new sidegrips? Or if we could get custom color finished grips? That would be cool.

rpommier
07-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Wonder if we could call HP and get them to just send us new sidegrips? Or if we could get custom color finished grips? That would be cool.

No, HP will not send replacement grips. I tried all day Monday with no luck, they wanted me to send my 2210 in for repair! Finally I told the guy I would just return this one and buy another from HP. Now how absurd is that? Instead of sending me the side grips they rather spend the resources to have me return my one and buy another Ipaq.

When I had problems with my Jornada I never went through this. When I had dust under the screen a new 565 would arrive in 3days and I would send the other back, simple :!:

Seems as if HP has adopted Compaqs support model... Sad...

EricR
07-16-2003, 07:10 PM
My guess is that there are no replacement side grips in the USA!

droppedd
07-16-2003, 07:20 PM
the problem, same as with all huge multinational conglomerates, is "Not My Job" syndrome. Sure, you can call hp and ask for replacement sidegrips. But they get the units whole from their manufacturing plant in (fill in name of country of choice with low salaried workers), and it would involve significant effort on the part of a Level One sales/tech support rep to contact higher-ups about the feasibility of offering extra replacement grips or the like. If you were buying a few thousand units, maybe they'd be more receptive. Otherwise, not likely.

ah well. I think it would look pretty good with polished wood sidegrips. I'd certainly pay a few bucks for that... and it'd be an easy high-profit web businesses for any prospective woodworkers among you. hell, if i'd only had shop class in high school maybe i'd try it myself.

Janak Parekh
07-16-2003, 07:50 PM
My guess is that there are no replacement side grips in the USA!
... at least, not yet. I'd be very surprised if HP or some third-party manufacturer doesn't make colored versions available.

--janak

gtmtnbiker98
07-16-2003, 11:11 PM
I could not bear the fact that my brand new handheld had been damaged due to such a poorly designed case! My new one is already being shipped. This time, I will keep the case in the box.

rpommier
07-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Same here, I have a new one on the way. And that case will never see the light of day! I'm still pissed they couldn't just send me some more grips, oh well...

Stained wood sides would be cool, though, I'd pay around $20 for that...

Xanadu
07-17-2003, 02:49 AM
Here's another inexpensive case for the 2215. Most Best Buys seem to have them:

http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=CQHN01

No scuffs for me!

-Xan

Brad Adrian
07-17-2003, 03:21 AM
...Then I bought a Zire case...
You need to be careful. I heard somewhere that putting a Pocket PC in a Palm case will slow down its processor to 16mHz, revert the screen to monochrome and reduce the RAM to 8MB. ;)

droppedd
07-17-2003, 05:15 AM
...Then I bought a Zire case...
You need to be careful. I heard somewhere that putting a Pocket PC in a Palm case will slow down its processor to 16mHz, revert the screen to monochrome and reduce the RAM to 8MB. ;)

You know, even 2 years after the hardware gap between Palm and PPC disappeared, the jokes are still funny. (i mean that only moderately sarcastically :lol:)

theon
07-17-2003, 05:58 PM
...but the grips come off. They are completly removable.[/img]

Hmmm... Does that mean that theoretically, someone could manufacture a sled like 'sleeve' similar to the palm sled modems utilising the CF slot? Given the form factor, a slight increase in thickness to include a mobile phone could be acceptable? :?:

Any comments? :mrgreen:

droppedd
07-17-2003, 06:46 PM
i wonder... i recall someone posting online directions for turning their Handspring Visor case that came with the unit into a flip cover. I may sacrifice my case to do the same (since the case is useless anyways).

Course that would be cooler if i could figure out how to make it use the little holes for a flip cover, short of cannibalizing the little clips from my old Clie's flip cover...

GMunroe
07-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Someone mentioned putting tape on the inside of the HP case that comes with the 2210/15, however after getting a little PO'd :evil: at the scuffing on the grips, I put a single piece of scotch tape on the grips themselves.

Sort of defeats the whole secure grip function, but it is a temporary solution that protects the grips until companies start making 2200 cases.

This may be old news...but I thought it would be helpful with this scuffing problem...

rpommier
07-21-2003, 05:42 PM
I bought this case from CompUSA the other day... It's serviceable until I decide on a case. I'm just waiting to see how the Krusell looks...

It has a clip/swivel deal on it instead of one of those belt clips. Fits the 2210 very nice.

http://www.compusa.com/product_images/images/full/03/300503_f.gif

griffin911
07-21-2003, 05:50 PM
These guys seem to have some great cases!!

http://casesonline.com/configurator.php

droppedd
07-21-2003, 07:12 PM
one thing i don't get - they'll replace a whole iPaq if it has scratched grips... but they won't replace mine even though it has a dead pixel!

Maybe i should scuff the grips up in the case and return it for that reason. :?

rpommier
07-21-2003, 10:27 PM
That's outrageous! I'd flip over a dead pixel... My new one should be here tomorrow and I already have an RMA to send the scuffed one back. HP's support sucks since the merger...

droppedd
07-21-2003, 10:30 PM
i know... hp support guy says official policy is "only if there are enough dead pixels to make the screen unreadable."

:evil: very mad at them right now.

weird thing is, the dead pixel seems to have just popped up - i'm pretty sure it was fine when i first got the unit... pah. stupid HP.