View Full Version : Invalid_Session Bug Squashed

Jason Dunn
07-10-2003, 08:00 AM
The "invalid_session" error that some of you have been getting now and then is actually a security measure that was updated as part of the php 2.0.4 update we did a while back. I consider it a bug because it's so irritating, and it routinely screws up my own posts. Fabrizio fixed it, so hopefully you'll never see it happen again. On to bigger and better bugs...

darrylb
07-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Sounds to me like Fabrizio is worth his weight in gold :onfire: .

The unsung hero of Pocket PC Thoughts.com. Unsung may not be fair coz we dont know - but he is certainly a hero! :D

maximus
07-10-2003, 08:55 AM
i thought that i was the only one experiencing that. that has something to do with opening/replying several posts at the same time, doesnt it?

FredMurphy
07-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Is it just me or is "New Posts" a bit flaky at the moment?

Jason Dunn
07-10-2003, 02:41 PM
i thought that i was the only one experiencing that. that has something to do with opening/replying several posts at the same time, doesnt it?

From what I understand, it's a security measure designed to detect IP shifting. i.e.: when you open a post, and leave it open for a while, your DHCP server might give you a new internal IP, and phpBB sees that as a spoof attempt by someone to grab the connection of someone else to this board. It happened a LOT to Microsoft people.

That's not a complete explanation though, because I've seen it happen to my own posts, and I know I'm not getting a new internal IP. Perhaps a new external IP from my cable modem provider?

Regardless, it's gone.

Jason Dunn
07-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Is it just me or is "New Posts" a bit flaky at the moment?

No, we're hearing scattered reports about this problem too. Try any of these:

1) log out, log back in, or
2) click "New Posts" twice, or
3) Turn off hidden files and delete the index.dat file

Our moderator Steven has been having trouble with this feature: it would work fine on one computer, and not at all on another. So this tells us it's something on certain computers, not with our system that effects every computer.

QYV
07-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Woo hoo!!

(and now I know why it was happening to me all the time!! :wink: )

Dave Beauvais
07-10-2003, 06:51 PM
No, we're hearing scattered reports about this problem too. ...
Here's what I've noticed: If I click the link in a new reply e-mail notification, read the post, then click "New Posts," it says there are no posts matching my request. Essentially, I've "lost" all those new posts. However, if I go to the front page and click New Posts, the new posts are always there. It seems as though if I go to the forums first, before clicking the New Posts button, the counter or whatever it's based on is reset. Kinda annoying, but I've learned to work around it.

--Dave

trachy
08-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Hey, Jason

FYI, I just got this error while trying to PM another PPC member. I took all of 10 seconds to compose the message, so it wasn't like I had left my session open long. Nor did I have other windows open to the forums.

- Drew

Jason Dunn
08-20-2003, 09:59 PM
FYI, I just got this error while trying to PM another PPC member. I took all of 10 seconds to compose the message, so it wasn't like I had left my session open long. Nor did I have other windows open to the forums.

Actually, when we did the upgrade to 2.0.6, I think my team overwrote the security tweaks we did to get rid of this problem. So my assumption (hope!?) is that they can perform the same tweak again.

You know, even though phpBB is free, I'd gladly pay $500 for forum software that had less quirks. :evil: