View Full Version : Autosync cable?

maikii
07-09-2003, 09:41 PM
As I mentioned in another post, I just got my 2210, which is now charging, so I haven't tried anything with it yet. It is my first PDA.

I ordered the Autosync cable with it. It is a universal autosync cable, which includes both USB and serial connectors.

I assume that the cable can be used to sync to the computer without the cradle, using either the serial or USB ports. (Any difference in speed, between using the serial or USB port?) (My computer has USB 2.0 ports, but I don't know if that cable will support the high speed USB.)

The other question is--can the cable be used to attach serial or USB peripherals to the 2210? (At the other end of the hotsync cable (both serial and USB) are jacks that fit into the computer ports, so I think one would need gender changers to hook up a serial or USB device directly to the PDA.)

For instance, I have both the serial and USB data cables to attach my laptop computer to my cell phone. I would want to be able to connect the 2210 to my cell phone, for wireless internet access. (My phone does not have IR or Bluetooth.) How can I do that, other than buying an expensive CF wireless modem card?

It might be convenient to be able to hook up other USB peripherals to the PDA as well, perhaps serial also. How to do?

Thank you for your input.

ctmagnus
07-09-2003, 10:04 PM
The other question is--can the cable be used to attach serial or USB peripherals to the 2210? (At the other end of the hotsync cable (both serial and USB) are jacks that fit into the computer ports, so I think one would need gender changers to hook up a serial or USB device directly to the PDA.)

It might be convenient to be able to hook up other USB peripherals to the PDA as well, perhaps serial also. How to do?

Not too sure about USB. I've seen USB gender changers so you could, for example, connect two USB master (larger plugs) together. However, the design of USB would probably prevent this combination from functioning.

As for serial, you would need a gender changer and a null-modem adapter. Connect the two so that the male ends are exposed, hook up the iPaq cable to one end and the serial cable of whatever device to the other. People do this with standalone GPS units (eg, the Garmin series) all the time.

HTH :)

maikii
07-10-2003, 03:28 AM
As for serial, you would need a gender changer and a null-modem adapter. Connect the two so that the male ends are exposed, hook up the iPaq cable to one end and the serial cable of whatever device to the other. People do this with standalone GPS units (eg, the Garmin series) all the time.

HTH :)

Well, I tried it today with the gender changer and null modem adapter, and it didn't work. In setting up a modem, one sees the following four port choices to choose from:

Hayes Compatible on Com1
Bluetooth Dialup Modem
Bluetooth Fax Modem
Generic IrDA

I thought the first one would be appropriate, as the first serial port on a computer is Com1. But it wouldn't connect, although my phone does work as a modem connected with that same cord to my laptop, to Com1.

Certainly the Bluetooth or IrDa ports would not be applicable.

Does anyone know why it doesn't work?

One thing that occurs to me--perhaps this device will not recognize a device connected to its cradle port as "Com1". It might reserve that port for a CF modem in the CF slot, as the makers consider that to be the most likely connection. Could that be the problem? No way to set the unit to recognize a cell phone used as a modem connected through the cradle port, with the appropriate adapters?

Has anyone got this to work?

I guess another option would be to purchase some kind of bluetooth adapter for my cell phone (if one exists), but I've already been spending a lot lately, and would prefer to get it to work via a cable from the PDA to the phone.

One large factor in deciding on the 2210 rather than the 1940 was that I was told such a connection was possible on the 2210, but not on the 1940.

Any way to do it with the cables?

ctmagnus
07-10-2003, 04:50 AM
Ya got me. If the serial cable setup didn't work and you want to avoid spending $ on Bluetooth, I really don't know how to go about it.

But then, I haven't tried the serial setup first-hand; I've heard of many, many people doing it to connect a standalone GPS to their PPC but I still use an iPaq 3670 and the RS-232 cable that Compaq was making for those devices.

droppedd
07-10-2003, 06:46 PM
You can't set up the 2210 to use USB peripherals; the port on the ipaq is not a usb host. They make an addon CF card that you can plug USB devices in if you need to desparately - but then, of course, there are driver issues for modems and the like - most USB modem makers do not support WM2003, to my knowledge (heck, even most CompactFlash wireless card makers don't yet :?).

The Toshiba units (can't remember which ones) have USB Host capabilities build in - you can plug a USB keyboard right in, no problems, as I understand.