View Full Version : Skweezer?

Birdman
07-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Has anyone tried Skweezer as a wireless web browser?
Any comments?

freitasm
07-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Skweezer is not actually a browser. It's a proxy service. PAges requested are "skweezed" (compressed) and sent to your device. You can access the service from any HTML browser, including desktops, laptops, Pocket PC, Palm and Symbian phones.

It works quite well. Mind you some pages are already compressed on the server, so no much gain there. Most of the pages are reduced in size a little. I don't have a number, but it's not that much - at least the pages I visited.

But every penny saved will add...

ToeCutter
07-10-2003, 11:57 PM
(freitasm: We must stop meeting like this :wink: )

I've been using Skweezer for awhile now and it's worked pretty well. As freitasm mentioned, Skweezer is a service that reformats web pages to appear more PDA friendly. There's a third option that passes along just the text of the page, which is great for WAP phones. Because the extra data is trimmed before it hits your device, data charges are reduced.

I used Skweezer mostly with my Clie TG50. I've been using it with my new iPaq 2215, but in most cases PIE does a better job of formatting the page for the iPaq's screen.

Go check it out. They offer a 30 day trial period.

freitasm
07-11-2003, 12:06 AM
(freitasm: We must stop meeting like this :wink: )

Well, I live in New Zealand and I believe you're somewhere else, and everything seems to be far from this country... We can't go out for a pint in the pub, so I think either the Pocket PC Thoughts Cafe' or Geekzone Pub should do :mrgreen:

ToeCutter
07-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Ah, New Zealand. My wife and I have been considering a vacation there. I think the Lord of the Rings films have done more for New Zealand than any other one thing. You, my friend, have one beautiful country. I'm very eager to come and see it for myself.

I live 30 short miles from Detroit, Michigan USA.

Enjoy your solitude. It's becoming very hard to find here in America...

freitasm
07-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Well, just drop a PM when coming here, and perhaps we can have a coffee.

Hey, The LOTR:ROTK World Premiere is in Wellington, December 1st. The theatre is just 15 minutes from my home. Come around!

Mind you, police officers here do not carry guns :mrgreen:, so leave all your stress behind!

piperpilot
07-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Back to the posted topic of Skweezer, I have been using it for a few days after seeing a blurb from Pocket PC Magazine on it earlier this week. Although it doesn't work for all pages, on balance, I think it works quite well and is worth the $10/year subscription price. It has made web surfing on my iPAQ 5455 much more enjoyable and broadened the realm of web sites that I surf. Plus, I like the fact that I don't have to download any software on my device.