View Full Version : PPCThoughts - Forums on my XDA

Birdman
07-09-2003, 02:24 PM
I was accessing the PPCThoughts site on my XDA yesterday and it formats very nicely on the screen. However, when I then went to access some of the Forums, I was required to scroll side to side in order to read the entire post. I thought that when accessing the site from a wireless handheld, no side to side scrolling would be required (especially given the benefits of the new subscription system).

Thanx.

Kati Compton
07-09-2003, 04:29 PM
If it had a url in it, they're working on that. But could you point out which post it was that was the problem? Otherwise the staff won't know what to look at.

Jason Dunn
07-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Unfortunately, our mobile forum implementation isn't perfect - there are some posts that cause side-scrolling. We're working on making it better, because it drives me insane too. 8O One of the issues is URL-wrapping - phpBB doesn't have a built-in function to shorten long URLs, which mean we need to go in and hack the core files, which is painfull. Part of the problem is also the faulty "fit to screen" implementation that Microsoft uses - it's not strict enough to truly MAKE it fit.

Our goal is to have 100% perfect mobile forums, but it will take some time to get there. :-)

Birdman
07-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanx. I never really understood the "fit to screen" command. Either it should 'fit to screen', meaning no side scrolling, or not.
In my experience, the answer is virtually always, not.

Scarpad
07-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanx. I never really understood the "fit to screen" command. Either it should 'fit to screen', meaning no side scrolling, or not.
In my experience, the answer is virtually always, not.

Are you in portrait or Landscape Mode? Is there a good Landscape mode utility to use with the 2215?

Birdman
07-09-2003, 09:40 PM
I am in Portrait but I do at time use, Landscape using 3rd party software. I have never been particularly happy with it.

SHoTTa35
07-14-2003, 06:52 PM
well now that i've subscribed i was told there's some link to access the forums on the PPC .... i don't see it? So how we do that

Jason Dunn
07-14-2003, 07:28 PM
well now that i've subscribed i was told there's some link to access the forums on the PPC .... i don't see it? So how we do that

Just hit www.pocketpcthoughts.com with your mobile device, and you'll be directed to the mobile site. Log in there (at the top), and if you're a subscriber, you'll be able to browse the entire site from your device. You have no subscriber graphic, so if you did subscribe, something is wrong...

SHoTTa35
07-14-2003, 09:48 PM

Just hit www.pocketpcthoughts.com with your mobile device, and you'll be directed to the mobile site. Log in there (at the top), and if you're a subscriber, you'll be able to browse the entire site from your device. You have no subscriber graphic, so if you did subscribe, something is wrong...

oh wait, that's what they mean by "subscribe" you gotta pay? Eeeh.... don't think i need it that much... i don't have a data package on my cell phone so i just glance at sites every now and then. I don't intend on surfin away all day. It's a good idea to generate money but i don't need that much.