View Full Version : Which high end PPC to buy?

FreakyFrequentFlier
07-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Hi to all! I am switching from Palm to PPC. Looking for high end unit which can play video clips, has a voice recorder, has Wi-Fi capability if not built in, and either has long battery life or fairly inexpensive spares available?

OK, maybe I am dreaming, but any help would be greatly appreciated![/b]

Kati Compton
07-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi to all! I am switching from Palm to PPC. Looking for high end unit which can play video clips, has a voice recorder, has Wi-Fi capability if not built in, and either has long battery life or fairly inexpensive spares available?
Most PPCs have all but the last.

For battery life, the Axim's tops, and you can get a Compact Flash WiFi card to go with it. Otherwise, I'd suggest the 5550 if you've got cash to spare.

Emo Conservative
07-10-2003, 01:42 AM
I would think you are referring to a device like the hp iPAQ 5500 Series with built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity...

It has a 400Mhz XScale processor which is more than sufficient to watch video clips, also it is fully capable to play full-lenght movies in full-screen mode; it also supports data encryption and features biometric fingerprint scanning as one way to secure your data..

http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/products/264493_400.jpg

integrated wireless

Integrated Bluetooth™ (ver. 1.1)
Wireless ready with the addition of WWAN or WLAN 802.11b card*

enhanced security

Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Reader

operating system

Powered by Microsoft® Windows® Pocket PC 2003 Premium

processor

400 MHz Intel® XScale™ technology-based processor

display

64K color (65,536 colors) 16-bit touch-sensitive transflective thin film transistor (TFT) liquid crystal display (LCD)
Viewable Image Size: 3.8 in. diagonal (96 mm)

memory

48 MB Flash ROM Memory
128 MB SDRAM
Up to 20 MB iPAQ File Store

dimensions
(L x W x H)

5.43 x 3.3 x 0.63 in. (138 x 84 x 15.9 mm)

weight

7.29 oz (206.8 g)

notification systems

Alarms:
Vibrate, Flashing green LED - tone, pop-up message
Flashing/Solid amber LED - Charge active
Flashing blue LED - Bluetooth active
WLAN active: Flashing green LED
WLAN enabled, searching, but not connected: flashing amber LED
Notification: Sound and message on the display

power

Battery**:
1250 mAh Lithium-Ion Polymer removable/rechargeable battery (in docking cradle or with AC Adapter)
Internal Back up battery - Allows user to swap main removable battery with the system power in standby
2500 mAh Lithium-Ion Polymer Extended Battery (sold as an accessory)
AC Power:
AC Input: 100~240 Vac, 50/60 Hz; AC Input current: 0.2 Aac max
Output Voltage: 5Vdc (typical); Output Current: 2A (typical)

expansion

Supports PC card, CF and other iPAQ Expansion Packs
Integrated SD slot - supports SD/MMC type standard, SDIO ready

audio

Microphone, speaker, one 3.5 mm headphone jack, MP3 stereo (through audio jack)

hp exclusive applications

iPAQ Fingerprint Reader: enhanced security
iPAQ Task Manager: access and launch programs easily
iPAQ Backup: utility for Backup/Restore to Main Memory, Memory Card, or iPAQ File Store
iPAQ Image Viewer: view images and create slide shows
iPAQ File Store: non-volatile storage in flash ROM
Adjustable Standby Settings: utility for adjusting power conservation modes
Utilities: Self Test, Expansion Pack, iPAQ Audio, Power Status

ergonomic design features

Instant-on/off and Backlight Power button
5-way Navigation button
Touch-sensitive display for stylus
5 programmable application launch buttons (Calendar, Contacts, Inbox, iTask, Record)
Built-in speaker and microphone
Volume up/down and record buttons

spursdude
07-10-2003, 01:55 AM
You could go for the Dell Axim X5 - it has awesome battery life, and the battery is removeable. WiFi isn't built in, so you would have to get a CF WiFi card for $50-$100.

The Axim doesn't have as many features as the high-end iPaq - no fingerprint reader, built-in wireless, loads of software, or 128MB of RAM. But still, the Axim is definitely a very functional and powerful device.... at a great price. Also, the Axim has dual slots (CF and SD) so you can have more expansion without having to use add-on sleeves which add bulk.

You can get the Axim for $325, then add on wireless for $50 more, then get some 256MB of SD memory for $70... adding up to $445.

The iPaq 5555 is $650 at Amazon.

FreakyFrequentFlier
07-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks to all 3 of you for your help. I just started researching the Dell and it looks pretty good. It does not seem like there is much the h5450 can do that the Dell can't?

Unless there is anything else compelling, I will probably run with the Dell. I have had Dell PCs for 6 yrs and have always had good customer support.

Thanks again for your help and let me know if you can think of any other big differences between the 2. :)

Kati Compton
07-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Well, you are missing out on the fingerprint scanner, you have a slightly smaller screen (3.5" on the Dell, 3.8" on the ipaq), and the ipaq has INTEGRATED wireless and BT. But I still like my Axim.

droppedd
07-10-2003, 04:56 PM
If battery life is less of an issue, I would reccomend looking into the new iPaq 2210/2215 - pretty much same hardware specs as the Axim Advanced (400 mhz, 64 mb ram, dual sd/cf expansion), plus integrated bluetooth, plus a heavy-duty infrared port with universal remote software, but with a smaller form factor (see Jason's review from the end of June for side-by-side photos). Battery-wise it can't match the Axim, but the cradle it comes with actually has a recessed spot for charging a spare battery even while you charge the PDA itself, and the battery is positively teeny, physically (only slightly thicker than 2 SD cards, so you could carry around a few spares and still be less encumbered than with just an Axim), while it still gets fairly decent battery life (also, see Jason's review). It also seems to be the fastest PPC on the market to date, and is specifically designed for the newest Windows Mobile 2003 OS, so it should last you a while.

But if size isn't an issue (i know many people don't keep their PPC in their pants pocket like I do) the Axim is a tried-and-true good value. it would just be impractical for me; I just can't see myself carrying an Axim around every day.

TawnerX
07-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Mio 558 has just received FCC approvals, so it seem to enter US afterall. This model is a contender to the h5555.

FreakyFrequentFlier
07-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all of the help. "DROPPEDD" - You talked me into the 2215! I like the size and expansion options. Still wondering how much time I can squeeze out of the battery, but will buy a spare if needed.

For those of you who switched from Palm to PPC, did you find anything that really helped you make the transition faster? Software or otherwise?

droppedd
07-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all of the help. "DROPPEDD" - You talked me into the 2215! I like the size and expansion options. Still wondering how much time I can squeeze out of the battery, but will buy a spare if needed.

For those of you who switched from Palm to PPC, did you find anything that really helped you make the transition faster? Software or otherwise?

heh - glad to help. As far as the Palm -> PPC switch, there's a whole forum here dedicated to that... All i can tell you is to make sure you set up your palm to synch with Outlook rather than Palm Desktop for its last synch, that way you can get all your contacts and such onto your PPC. Also, a lot of the software you use may be available for both platforms, so be sure to check that out.

FreakyFrequentFlier
07-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks and I will check out the palm to PPC Forum!