View Full Version : I want a ppc/phone - newbie help

minsolomon
07-08-2003, 02:10 PM
I am looking at getting the Audivox Thera ppc 2002 from Verizon (that way I do not have to change my phone number) and I am not sure if it is a good move or should I wait. I could use some advice on a couple of items.

1. The ppc/phone lists 2002 in its name. Is it still the first gen model?

2. A clerk at COmpUSA indicated that they are coming out with a much better version in the 3rd qtr 2003. Is that true? Is it worth waiting for?

3. I really like being able to use the MS OS. I have heard some negatives regarding the lack of sync with the phone. True?

4. Does anyone use the keyboard accessory? How much is it?

5. Any other opinions on the ppc/phone would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Birdman
07-08-2003, 05:01 PM
In my opinion, I would NOT get the Thera. In Canada, the Thera is carried by both local CDMA carriers. I was originally on CDMA and also wanted to keep my phone number so I looked long and hard at the Thera. Here are the reasons why I decided not to get it and ultimately decided to go for the GSM version of the XDA (and changed phone numbers, which actually wasn't as big a deal as I thought).

The Thera is considerably more expensive than the PocketPCPhone edition device carried by the GSM carriers.

Not only is the Thera a first generation device, it is even earlier than that. It does not use the true PocketPCPhone edition software, but rather runs standard PocketPC2002 OS with an "add-on" module for the phone. As such, it does not offer true integration between PPC applications and phone use. (For example, on units running the PPCPhoneEdition OS, if a call comes in while you are listening to an MP3 using MediaPlayer, the song will pause, call will come through, and then when you are finished the call, MediaPlayer will continue.)

The Thera can be used as a speaker phone or with an ear bud but it cannot be held up to your ear as a "normal" phone. The XDA using PPCPHoneEdition OS can be used as a speakerphone, used with an ear bud or held up to the ear like a normal phone.

Battey life is much worse than on comparable XDA units.

All in all, it is old tech. for an expensive price that does not offer true integration of phone and PDA.

I would suggest either waiting for the next version of the XDA which I understand T-Mobile may be rolling out at the end of this year, or getting an XDA from T-Mobile or ATT. As I indicated earlier, the change of cel phone number is no-where near as bad as I thought it would be (at least for me).

Hope this helps.

Emo Conservative
07-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Well, if you do have more money to spare, definitely get the Samsung SCH-i700 Pocket PC Phone with Verizon Service...

I've used on for a short while from a friend and it's awesome, but a bit expensive for the device, not necessarily service... $599 for the unit...

http://brighthand.com/images/Samsung_i700_layout.jpg
It runs Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition but is ready for the Windows 2003 Mobile Phone upgrade when available...

Read the review @ Brighthand

http://brighthand.com/article/Samsung_i700_PPC_Phone

Janak Parekh
07-09-2003, 05:55 AM
Battey life is much worse than on comparable XDA units.
Absolutely do not get the Thera. When Birdman says bad battery life, he's being modest. From every report I've heard, you're talking about 45-60 minutes of talk time and 8 hours standby at the max. The Samsung looks like a much, much better unit.

--janak