View Full Version : About to make the swtich... But what device!?

Emo Conservative
07-08-2003, 02:52 AM
Hello folks, I'm about to make the switch over to the PocketPC... I was going to get the HP 2210, there was the site (The Nerds.net) which had it for 300.02, and TrioComputers which had it for 314.02 dollars, that was the maximum I wanted to spend. But when I went to purchase, the Nerds removed the product from ordering, and TrioComputers updated the price to 374 dollars which was too much... I wanted to one so bad, but I can't afford that price with shipping; and there are no refurbished models yet..

I've been tempted to get the Zire 71 :oops: , but I want to make one last attempt at becoming a PocketPC user. The Dell Axim seems to be too bulky for my needs, but the fact is that I need a CompactFlash slot as well on this, and I would appreciated it if it had Windows Mobile Edition 2003...

I know I'm probably asking too much of this, but if anyone can advise me to a good device for my needs, please help!

0X Peace :)

droppedd
07-08-2003, 03:04 AM
well, HP might still have their educational discount going, so if you're in k-12 or college, you may qualify for a sub-$300 IPaq 2210 (which is the same as the 2215). find the threads here or see this one (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=1080783&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=) at anandtech.

One question though: if you need a CF slot, how would you be even considering the Zire 71? If you can live with just SD, the HP 1940 should be a good bet (and it's quite compact as well). It has SDIO, too, so you can (eventually) get wi-fi and/or bluetooth through expansion cards. Course they're not really out yet as far as i know.

Also, the Asus A620 has CF (no SD) and looks to be fairly slim. It's not out yet, but if/when it makes it to the states, it may go under the Zayo name like the last model (the A600).

Kati Compton
07-08-2003, 03:04 AM
I've been tempted to get the Zire 71 :oops: , but I want to make one last attempt at becoming a PocketPC user. The Dell Axim seems to be too bulky for my needs, but the fact is that I need a CompactFlash slot as well on this, and I would appreciated it if it had Windows Mobile Edition 2003...
Sounds like you want the ipaq 2210 to me. Though really the Axim isn't *that* bulky. It's very comfortable to hold. But it's not in the same "cute" category as the 1910 and the 2210.

Emo Conservative
07-08-2003, 03:16 AM
I'm not going to defraud them and falsify information like I've seen so many people do from the Brighthand forums, and if I were to say I was buying it for my son with the K-12 discount, it's only about 40 dollars, the same with other online retailers that don't charge tax...

What I'm thinking is the is the 1940, but does anyone know how the speed is... I'm not a real power-hungry user but I would enjoy the ocassional game and the watching video, not really high action but decent quality, maybe a rip of the matrix...

So does anyone know if they plan on producing a foldable keyboard or a thumboard for this, and if there is any plan for a CF adapter, because the Wifi cards that function in the SD slot (which I'm not sure if the 1940 will even support) are around one hundred dollars, while CF is around 30...

So it looks like I'm stuck between the 1940 or a Toshiba, but the hp looks so damn cool...

Any more insight you folks can dish out would help this penny-pinching Merill-Lynch employee :)

Emo Conservative
07-08-2003, 03:53 AM
Bah; I don't get it... Why am I so afraid of the Dell Axim!?!?! It has more ROM memory available, both slots that I need, and Windows 2003 Mobile... It's perfect for me and fits my price range, but it looks like crap...

Should I really get the Axim or get clunked into the hp iPAQ 1940 which looks amazingly cool but will stop me from making my Wifi network and has no accessories whatsoever except maybe a leather case...

I HATE MAKING LARGE PURCHASES!

droppedd
07-08-2003, 04:31 AM
personally i would get the 1940. I like to have my PPC in my pocket, which could create some awkward situations with one as bulky as the axim ("is that an axim in your pocket, or...?").

You've got to decide how badly you need the wi-fi right this second. SD wi-fi cards will be expensive at first, but will certainly drop in price fairly fast. Personally I'd like wi-fi because my school has APs around campus; I don't feel that just for home use is really worth shelling out even the $30 for the card, and commercial coverage is too spotty to make it worthwhile for that.

The way I think of it, as great as an Axim is, I'd imagine it'd end up spending most of its time in my bag or in my room, not with me. That's just a personal preference, though. Some people are perfectly happy with a "handbag PC" rather than a pocket one, and all the more power to them.

Personally, i'm waiting for my $267 2210 to come in the mail tomorrow (oooh can't wait!!) Best 'o both worlds, and at that price, i couldn't say no.

Pony99CA
07-08-2003, 05:46 AM
What I'm thinking is the is the 1940, but does anyone know how the speed is... I'm not a real power-hungry user but I would enjoy the ocassional game and the watching video, not really high action but decent quality, maybe a rip of the matrix...
Funny you should ask. Somebody started the "SPB Benchmark results for the HP iPaq 1940 (2003, 266Mhz)!" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=133612) about 2.5 hours before you started this.

Steve

Emo Conservative
07-08-2003, 09:45 PM
http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?pn=685002&d=4&s=1

Wooooo! They added it back, but in case these jerks remove it again, does anyone know how more information on performance with the hp 1940? I don't think the benchmarks are right :?