View Full Version : Beaming from Palm to 2215 and vice versa

DavidK
07-07-2003, 05:53 PM
My Palm m515 has died and I have a 2215 on its way :D . The other guys in my office have Palm Tungstens. Will I be able to beam and receive to and from their Palms? I realize that applications will be different. I'm just interested in beaming data such as notes, tasks, contacts, documents, etc.

Ed Hansberry
07-07-2003, 06:19 PM
My Palm m515 has died and I have a 2215 on its way :D . The other guys in my office have Palm Tungstens. Will I be able to beam and receive to and from their Palms? I realize that applications will be different. I'm just interested in beaming data such as notes, tasks, contacts, documents, etc.
Contacts are no problem and I think appointments are fine too. Not sure about tasks. I think you will have problems with documents. Palm's generally have to have docs converted on the desktop to .pdb databases unless they have one of the new convert-on-the-device apps. Still, I doubt they can handle Pocket Word/Excel docs. You'd probably need to save as a Word 97/2000 or Excel97/2000 file for those apps to handle it.

DavidK
07-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Contacts are no problem and I think appointments are fine too. Not sure about tasks. I think you will have problems with documents. Palm's generally have to have docs converted on the desktop to .pdb databases unless they have one of the new convert-on-the-device apps. Still, I doubt they can handle Pocket Word/Excel docs. You'd probably need to save as a Word 97/2000 or Excel97/2000 file for those apps to handle it.

The guys have Documents to Go on their Palms. We'll just have to see when my new toy arrives.

TawnerX
07-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Tell the guy with DocToGo to get a real computer. :lol:

you can however beam and receive native office files directly from laptop or wireless network.

Ed Hansberry
07-08-2003, 12:16 AM
Tell the guy with DocToGo to get a real computer. :lol:
Yeah, I am thinking that isn't going to cut it. You may need to get INbox To Go to do the doc conversion, but that is for the inbox app. I don't know if it works with beamed files or not.

Quick Office Premier though at http://www.cesinc.com/quickoffice_premier/ specifically mentions handling IR beamed files, but that is $50 for the whole package.

GetAFix
07-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Hi!

Well, I tried to beam a whole catagory from Palm M515 to 2215. What it does is it clobbers the contents of 4-5 contacts togetether and then stores on 2215 as one contact. So, I suppose, if you want to move your contacts from M515 to 2215 you'll have to do them one at a time. :cry:

If there's a better way to do this, I would definitely love to hear it. Because I have the same problem, I just got a new 2215 and I want to move most of my data from M515.

-Getafix

Ed Hansberry
07-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Install Pocket Mirror from your Palm M500 CD and sync to outlook. When you sync your 2215, all of your data will move to the 2215.

GetAFix
07-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks Ed for your quick reply. I'll try it out today. It definitely is a clean way of moving the data around instead of beaming from one device to another.

Thanks again,
-Getafix