View Full Version : H2210/15's Longevity

ppcnewbie
07-07-2003, 02:30 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been hangin' around for about a month or so, but I don't know much about ppc's. I was wondering, how long do you think the h2215 will be a good ppc to own? I know that pc's can become out of date in a year's time, so I am a little worried to hand over the cash.

I'll be a college freshman soon, so my uses will probably be just listening to music, playing some games to pass time, recording lectures maybe?, some ebooks, and things like that.

Do you think the h2215 will last me for the long run?

Anthony Caruana
07-07-2003, 03:16 AM
Aahh... the age old technology question; if I buy today will I still be able to use it tomorrow :?:

I always answer this the same way; if you buy the device today and use it in the way you described then will its performance or usefulness change when a new device is released? Usually, the answer to this in NO as long as your needs don't change.

If you need a device today and the 2215 (or any other device for that matter) meets your requirements then i'd say spend the money. Based on your post it seems that you are a student and might be able to snap up one of the very sweet student discount deals that was posted on a few days ago.

There will always be something better promised or rumoured by the vendors. If your device works today, what stops it from working the day a new device is released or announced?

If you don't need the device now then wait. There are rumours of devices with greater capacity for later this year. But by then there will undoubtably be more rumours of even faster/bigger capacity devices.

Good luck

darrylb
07-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Anthony is right. How long it lasts depends on how much you use it and what you use it for.

On that note, I have found that my requirements have grown since I started using a PPC, however, most of that has been since I got my 3970 last year. The addition of the CF slot in the 2200 series adds lots of expandability and I suspect will prevent me from outgrowing it for some time (as long as the memory is sufficient - 128 Mb would be useful... :wink: )

ricoks
07-07-2003, 05:42 AM
My apologies to the drool that is now on my keyboard, but you said new capacities, not to spread rumors, but just curious what is coming.
I'm really waiting for a 4" scree with vga resolution in current sizes, like a 2200 with a 4" and vga, and 128mb, COOOOOL :rock on dude!:

Ryan

darrylb
07-07-2003, 05:45 AM
I understand a 2200 with 128 Mb RAM is slated for later this year. I cant help with the 4" screen though.

The 5500 series has a 3.5" screen..... :wink:

nosmohtac
07-07-2003, 07:14 AM
I understand a 2200 with 128 Mb RAM is slated for later this year. I cant help with the 4" screen though.

Doen't the 5500 series have the same size screen as the previous iPAQ's?

If it does it's 3.8" or to be more precise 3.78".

I agree a 4" screen would be nice, but 3.8" is close and more pocketable.

Shadowcat
07-07-2003, 08:48 AM

The 128MB RAM version of the H2200 was rumoured only. There has been no official word on it. I'm assuming that your :wink: means that you know the the H5500 has a 3.8" screen, right? Not sure what you're getting at here.....

ppcnewbie
07-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the comments.

What is the difference between say, 128 Mb RAM built in, and using additional memory from an SD/CF card? Can you not do certain things with the removable storage as you can with the built in memory?

Chris Spera
07-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Internal memory is always more desireable because it gives you certain advantages over say, an SD Card.

The internal RAM will initialize before the SD Card and will allow you to run certain start up items sooner than if they were installed on the SD Card.

Internal RAM is also faster, so overall performance will be better.

SD Cards are meant to be portable, so they come out of the device. Think of them as floppy disks and your PPC like an early, pre-Pentium, pre-Windows 95 PC. High capacity floppies are cool, but to get the device to run better, we all wanted as much RAM as we could shove in the box.

This is no different...

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera