View Full Version : Help

bcaray
07-05-2003, 08:26 PM
I attempted to open Pocket Word and my Jornada 568 froze. I know what to do in this situation, and I soft-reset the device. The problem is that now, after the HP splash screen, the wheel just spins merrily away and the system never comes up. I have let it spin for up to 10 minutes before resetting again to see if I can get it over the hump. The only new software installed is the Reader update (it actually worked with only 30 or 45 minutes of re-activating and re-downloading desktop and Pocket PC versions) Any idea as to what happened or if there is anything I can do short of a hard reset? This is more than a little frustrating and enough to make me look with envy at my original PalmPilot (yes, it's that old) that I have never had to reset.

Janak Parekh
07-05-2003, 08:47 PM
I'd say go for the hard reset. I hope you've synched lately :(

Re original PalmPilot: have you had nothing but trouble with the 568? Overall, it's a good device...

--janak

bcaray
07-05-2003, 09:28 PM
I really do like the 568 but this is my second one. The first one randomly hard-reset itself. This is the replacement unit. I have tried the hard reset several times and get a fatal application error after the initial set-up. HP does not seem to know what the problem is. I am not a power user by any means and it seems odd that I would ever have to hard reset any handheld device. After all, I have had a laptop for several years that I have never had to reformat and re-install the OS. It would be nice to have a unit that did not just die after a while. I am not a programmer or even remotely advanced in the field of CS but I would think that with three major revisions and countless minor ones that MS could figure out a way to have a handheld OS that did not have to be re-installed every two or three months. Soft-resets I can deal with, this is just part of life. I can even deal with the fact that it loses folders at times; hard-resets, however, are simply unacceptable for someone who only has 3 or 4 third-party programs and documents on the machine.