View Full Version : Bluetooth and Cingular

coppertop
07-05-2003, 07:59 PM
I've got the HP 2215 and looking for a bluetooth enabled cellphone. I'm in Alabama and have service with Cingular.

Does anyone know if Cingular offers a bluetooth enabled phone? I've asked thier customer service and I really don't think they know what I am talking about.

Any ideas?

squeeze
07-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Cingular carries the Nokia 3650 and Sony Ericsson T68i.

csterns
07-05-2003, 08:26 PM
Actually Cingular is discontinuing the T68i so if you can get it, get it. It is the easiest to setup with Bluetooth. Cingular also has the Siemans S56 but know one knows how to set it up. I spent nearly three hours at their store with a tech and we still could not set it. Finally, they have software that is available to help set up your PDA and Laptop but will not work with Pocket PC 2003. Good luck.

P.S. I purchased a Convergent Technology CF GSM/GPRS card that accepts the Cingular SIM card and made a connection with my 2215. It is now a cell phone and access the internet. You may want to choose the route.

simzz1
07-05-2003, 10:37 PM
FYI
One more option for Cingular customers is the SonyEricsson T61z. There is a Bluetooth attachment available and it works like a charm. Been enjoying it for some time now. :lol:

gcherian
07-05-2003, 11:04 PM
But all the options you guys are giving is Cingular for GSM and I am really not sure alabama has GSM coverage from Cingular - last I know they have GSM coverage only in CA and NY City.

So that being said with TDMA Cingular all the above options and no no..... and I do not know any better to offer you any other options...

absolutVenky
07-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Cingular GSM subscribers in AL will get service - probably from T-Mobile. You may incur roaming charges if you don't have a national plan. This is the norm - only 1-2 operators have the spectrum in any given market. The others offer it using roaming, In CA, my T-Mobile service is actually running off Cingular.

medic119
07-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Cingular in AL is still on TDMA. The conversion is going slowly. They expect to have GSM in the Huntsville area sometime next year!!! Until then the only data option they offer is the IR modem on the 3650 TDMA version (No BT). I know because I just went through the whole process with them since I am considering a new phone.

coppertop
07-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the information. I reckon I'll have to wait a while until Bluetooth comes to Cingular. Until then I'll make due with the Motorola V60 and USB cable. I've already gotten spoiled syncing the 2215 with my computer via BT. Don't miss the cables at all.