View Full Version : Newbie questions: iPaq 2215 accessories

Taha
07-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Hello All

I'm a recent convert to the PPC platform (ex-Palm V owner) and just purchased a shiny new iPaq 2215. Apologies for the newbie questions:

- I am a consultant and spend Mon-Fri on the road. My bag is heavy enough without lugging the bulky adaptor and charger around. Can anyone direct me to a lighter solution? Preferably, a combined charger/sync cable -- is that even possible?

- The included case is ok but I went out and bought the Rhino Skin case for my Palm V as soon as it was available. Is there an equivalent now for the 2215?

- I have been "lurking" on this site for a couple of weeks and have enjoyed the posts and the information available. Someone mentioned that the "X" method of closing apps didn't actually close apps. What is the correct way to do this? Also, I recall someone else posting that you should really use another freeware/shareware app?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Taha

TawnerX
07-05-2003, 08:18 PM
1 There are several options.
-car adaptor,
-buy additional battery. (tho' you will still need to remember to carry them and charge them)
-Battery extender (this involve AA battery, and a plug that charge the unit)
-USB cable/charger (you can leach power out of laptop/desktop)

I would say a combination of those. (eg. put all those things everywhere, so if you forgot one thing, there are another options)

3. Icbar, popular choice.
http://icbar.ictinus.com/

Crystal Eitle
07-05-2003, 08:41 PM
- I am a consultant and spend Mon-Fri on the road. My bag is heavy enough without lugging the bulky adaptor and charger around. Can anyone direct me to a lighter solution? Preferably, a combined charger/sync cable -- is that even possible?

Get a BoxWave MiniSync www.boxwave.com, or a Lil'Sync from PPC Techs. It's a retractable sync/charge cable. I have a MiniSync and I love it.

Taha
07-06-2003, 05:26 PM
The mini-sync from boxwave.com is just what I am looking for!

With regards to my last question in the original posting....what is the correct way to close apps if the 'X' doesn't actually close them?

Thanks again,
Taha

darrylb
07-07-2003, 03:12 AM
You need to go into settings-> memory -> running programs tab and stop them from there :roll: .

This is off the top of my head as I sold my iPAQ and have not yet received my new 2210 :mrgreen: .

Cheers
D

KidKomputer
07-07-2003, 02:31 PM
You can use iTask on the 2215. Press the far right button, tap and hold on the app you want to close, choose close...

blazingwolf
07-07-2003, 02:42 PM
You can try Wisbar (www.pelmarinc.com) or Icbar (www.ictinus.com) to help in task management. I am not completly sure they work in 2003 but I can't remember hearing of any problems. They are free and very good at what they do. Welcome to the club.

PetiteFlower
07-07-2003, 10:20 PM
POCKET PLUS is the way to go :) It turns the X button into a real "close" button. It also has a task manager but I use Switcher Bar(pre-installed on my Axim) for that, I just like it when I tell programs to close and they close :)

KHuff
07-10-2003, 11:45 PM
To lighten my load (I also travel all week) I purchased a Zip-Linq USB sync/charge cable (retractable like the BoxWave), an ac adapter for same, and am re-using a USB car charger adapter with it. All together very small, and light and covers all the bases for me. Tiger Direct has them.

I am using IcBar on my 2215 and it seems to work fine, it's free, and closes programs at your command...K

beq
07-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Looks great, but are all three (BoxWave, PPC Techs, Zip-Linq) exactly the same for the USB cable and AC and DC adapters (or at least very similar from the same OEM)? Except for the Zip-Linq DC adapter's side loading USB jack...

beq
07-13-2003, 12:14 PM
BTW, the AC mains adapter and DC auto adapter for these USB sync-n-charge cables are great. But where can I buy a USB adapter for a 9V battery? I know it's offered in complete kits (the latest Mobile Planet catalog alone lists 3 different kit brands), but I want to buy this part separately (to use w/ the abovementioned retractable Boxwave-type cable).

darrylb
07-14-2003, 01:52 AM
Do these sync and charge cables also work on the 19xx series?

SHoTTa35
07-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Do these sync and charge cables also work on the 19xx series?

if it uses the same sync port as the 2215 (same as the 3800 and 3900) then the sync/charge cables for those will work with it.