View Full Version : Palm Reader Better?

Jerry Raia
07-05-2003, 04:23 AM
All this talk of the MS Reader update made me wonder about the Palm Reader. What do you folks think?

darrylb
07-05-2003, 04:33 AM
I would suggest that a yes/no answer is not appropriate for the question presented. Which product is yes and which is no? :wink:

Jerry Raia
07-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Man where was I? Thanks :D

Vincent M Ferrari
07-05-2003, 04:55 AM
I don't necessarily know which is "better," although I lean toward Palm Reader just for the amazing depth of ebooks available. I also think feature for feature there really isn't much of a difference (at least in the basics I find myself using).

I'd stick with Palm Reader if I had to make a choice.

James Fee
07-05-2003, 05:00 AM
I swear by Palm Reader. I got sucked into MS Reader over this "free" eBook deal, but it just proves to me that Palm Reader is much better and easier to use. I like inverting the screen when I'm traveling on the plane at night. Much easier to read than the black text on white that MS Reader has you use...

Jeff Kirvin
07-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Palm Reader has better formatting, better font support (in that you can actually change them), better DRM, better selection of titles, better dictionary support, the ability to export annotations to a separate file... The list goes on and on.

WyattEarp
07-05-2003, 07:10 AM
Palm Reader is definately better. Especially since you don't have to "activate" the software to read a book you just paid for.

mcasanova
07-05-2003, 06:00 PM
I see no one has voted for MS Reader yet, well, I won't either. Palm Reader is better by far and it's easier to buy the ebooks

ChristopherTD
07-07-2003, 08:08 AM
I use MS Reader - I am interested in looking at the other options but at the moment I have 30 MS Reader format books to read before my "shelf" is empty.

Reader has quirks, and the DRM is intrusive, but I have activated or reactivated numerous PCs and my Pocket PC (several times) without any quota problems.

The new version seems to be a bit snappier, and fixes the memory leak so I don't mind the 2MB of RAM it takes up.

At the end of the day I can read my books happily on it, and I don't find myself yearning for this feature or that feature when I am absorbed in the book...

popabawa
07-07-2003, 02:17 PM
I'm currently running MS Reader and MobiPocket.

I buy 99% of my eBooks from Fictionwise so I have just about all the based covered.

By preference, I'll d/l in mobipocket format but if it's only available in MS Reader secure format then I have that option.

MobiPocket gets a big thumbs up from me, comprehensive bookmarking, nice scrolling text (why o why don't they add that to MS Reader?) and easy to send books to the PPC. Smashing.

Eitel
07-07-2003, 04:33 PM
I love Palm Reader. I bought the Pro version a couple of moths ago. I love how the security works with it. No more activation crap from MS. You can open the books in any computer that you want as long as you enter the number of the CC card you used to buy the book. Palm Reader is a lot faster that the MS Reader. You can actually change pages without the waiting. :)

ux4484
07-07-2003, 04:38 PM
I've got both (and iSilo) installed on my Dell, Palm Reader and iSilo get the biggest workout. MS has nice text display, but that's about it AFAIC.

Though the free ebook program is a bold step for them....and I did upgrade/download the books.

Ratel10mm
07-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Although it's very basic in comparison, my all-time favourite is Readthemall, which is a Palm program, installed on my PalmV. It doesn't matter what file type you're reading, this app. can cope with the lot. And the formatting is good, too. I've taken to downloading files in .txt format, and reading them on notetaker for comfort, instead of putting up with one line paragraphs all the time with Mobipocket.
Does anyone know where I can get something similar for WinCE?

ux4484
07-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Although it's very basic in comparison, my all-time favourite is Readthemall, which is a Palm program, installed on my PalmV. It doesn't matter what file type you're reading, this app. can cope with the lot. And the formatting is good, too. I've taken to downloading files in .txt format, and reading them on notetaker for comfort, instead of putting up with one line paragraphs all the time with Mobipocket.
Does anyone know where I can get something similar for WinCE?

yes: µBook (http://www.gowerpoint.com/) I kick myself for not mentioning sooner.

iant54
07-08-2003, 12:58 PM
ux4484 - Thanks for the tip-off on ubook! Downloaded and installed it, and it looks great!

Sunnyone
07-08-2003, 02:30 PM
I've been using Palm Reader back to Feb of 2000, when it was called Peanut Press. I may download some of the free MS Reader titles, but I probably won't purchase any additional titles. I find what I want/need from Palm Reader. I've got my credit card number memorized - no hassles when it comes to activation!

dean_shan
07-09-2003, 05:30 AM
I love PalmReder. I've been with them for a while now. Is it worth buying the Pro Version? I've just been using the free reader.

Sunnyone
07-09-2003, 01:35 PM
I haven't purchased the pro version. The regular version suits my needs just fine. From what I understand, the additional features of the pro version are a dictionary, a bigger font selection and the ability to create and change color themes.

Happy reading!

portnoy
07-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Well, I guess I'll be the odd man out and say M$ Reader. I think it's easier to create books for it. Just run files through a pluggin in Word. I don't read "best sellers", I generally just grab interesting files off the net and convert them to read later.

But if there was an equally easy (free) way to convert to palm .doc files I would reconsider.

Sunnyone
07-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Portnoy, regardless of our individual preferences - it's good to have choices, isn't it! :wink: :D

I've never had a need to convert anything (so far), but it's good to know I can use MS Reader for that purpose.

Ratel10mm
07-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks very much, ux4484. I'll give it a try.

Nadine
07-10-2003, 10:39 PM
I prefer the Palm Reader and have the pro version. I needed a dictionary that had more complicated words. You have to have the pro version to use the College Dictionary.

I also have the Palm e-book studio to convert books to the palm format and it works very well.

It looks like MS had improved the speed with this new version. I could fall asleep just waiting for it to open.

I have the ubook and love it for Gutenberg books no converting just put the zip file in the cf card and go.

I also use the Tome Raider for references book great look up ability

davidspalding
07-11-2003, 04:06 AM
Another vote for MObipocket. Even without registering it, you can read secure eBooks, have great features, and it's very easy on the eyes.

Customizable fonts, full screen, orientation change, color changes, full annotation, and their freeware Publisher can do a better job of making a .PRC _or_ .LIT eBook from HTML sources. Dictionaries are way better, too. ;) (Also: the Word RMR includes images for every platform in a .LIT file, whether you need them or not. Lame. Mobipocket Publisher includes only what you specify.)

I understand that Palm Reader doesn't even use the full screen. What's up with THAT? And you have to license it to use the dictionaries...?! >:P

Nadine
07-11-2003, 10:13 PM
To davidspalding

I may have misled you on that on. You can use all of the dictionaries except the college one there are 3 different one available. The Vest Pocket which is free, The School and Office version and the College which is just over 10mb and have just about every thing so a memory card is a very good idea.

As far as using the whole screen there is a narrow strip at he top and another at the bottom. I never noticed it until you brought it up.

I have tried the MObipocket has never worked right on either of my handheld it could be a conflict but I haven't bothered the try to correct it because I love the Palm reader.

davidspalding
07-12-2003, 10:05 PM
My understanding is that the Palm reader has never developed other than the Palm screen size (240x240?) even on PPC. Was considered for a release, never implemented. Screen shots on their site don't contradict this.

Great that you can get dictionaries working. But I think I read on their site that you couldn't get contextual lookup of words without the purcha$ed version. Am I wrong about that? You can get that with any purchased dictionary for Mobipocket, $13 or less, which is ˘heaper than the Palm registration cost.

Things may've changed since I was comparing dictionary solutions last year. But I recall Palm being about $30 to get the best dictionary and contextual lookup, about twice what it cost to do so with Mobipocket. Granted, that's small change, but I can read in Mobi full screen =:) and I do that regularly in landscape mode.

Haven't had any glitches with Mobipocket for over a year, so ... I couldnt' guess what defect you encountered. Perhaps the latest release fixed it. ,:)

Nadine
07-13-2003, 07:14 PM
The only thing I can say it the screen is just under 1/4 inch off square , slightly longer than wider. The word come right to the edge in most books, That depends on formatting. As for lookup you highlight the word and the lookup is automatic in any dictionary. With the large one it is a little slower but you have to account for size. My problem is I seldom look up common words. As for lookup in the free version it did when I was using it which was a while back. I purchased the pro version not just because of the dictionary but to be able to adjust the screen color to make it easier on my eyes. I also wanted to try the auto scroll.

When I tried the Mobipocket reader with my older ppc and the new one as well the same problem occurred with both it won't respond to taps. I believe I have tried the newest version and it was slightly better but not good.

It is nice to be able to talk about this in an intelligent manner, not slash, cut and bite.

Wiseblood
07-14-2003, 02:52 AM
I guess I have to be the contrarian . . . MS Reader is my favorite.

1) I like the way the screen is formatted. Like a book, the words do not run to the end of the screen. I like the ample margins and . . .

2) I like the ability to "flip" through the book (press down on the page number at the bottom and hold, a nice little grid pops up that gives good control over the book.

That being said, I DO like Palm's simple protection scheme. No need to "activate" your reader.

Janak Parekh
07-14-2003, 07:03 AM
I guess I have to be the contrarian . . . MS Reader is my favorite.
Total agreement about the margins. I've tried Palm Reader three times and removed it each time; I just don't find it comfortable to read. But hey, whatever works best for you ;) And I do agree that PDM's DRM is much nicer than MS.

--janak

davidspalding
07-23-2003, 03:06 AM
When I tried the Mobipocket reader with my older ppc and the new one as well the same problem occurred with both it won't respond to taps. I believe I have tried the newest version and it was slightly better but not good.

Do you mean, tap screen to advance page? That's an option in the latest version. You might've needed to enable it. Also, if you enable "margins," you can page forward and back by tapping in the margin. (It's a nice option so that you can tap and hold a word for lookup, or annotation, without accidentally advancing the page.)

I can't honestly tell you which options are available in the registered version versus the free version; check the MObipocket software site, they have a table. I do know that most of the annotation, highlight, drawing features are reserved for the registered version. ,:}

PetiteFlower
08-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Does Palm Reader support installing books on an SD card? I'm having some problems and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I install the book, I open it, everything is fine until I close Reader, then the next time I try to open it the book is gone! I have to reinstall it and wait for it to format again. This is a huge problem as you might guess!

EvilOne
08-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Yes, you can put ebooks for PalmReader on a CF or SD, just make sure that you put your books under a folder entitled Peanut Press.

PetiteFlower
08-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Any reason for that?

Dave Beauvais
08-07-2003, 05:59 AM
Any reason for that?
Because as with just about everything Palm Reader-related, the developers seem to like doing things their own way. They use an installer that bypasses the standard way of installing and uninstalling apps on a Pocket PC and their file open dialog is "unique" to Palm Reader. When you open an e-book file located on a storage card, two additional files are created, but one is stored on the card with the book while the other is in \My Documents\Peanut Press in main memory. This has always irritated me, but I'm sure someone somewhere had a reason for doing it that way.

I still prefer Palm Reader over MS Reader, however, and will likely never use Reader for much.

--Dave

PetiteFlower
08-07-2003, 06:11 AM
Ok so when I take my SD card out of the Axim and put it in my card reader, I can clearly see the book files on it, in the proper folders and everything. When I put it back in the Axim, I can't see them. The folder is there but it looks empty. When I open Palm Reader, it says No Books Open, and when I try to open it, I get a blank window, as if the book was not installed. Help!

Dave Beauvais
08-07-2003, 06:19 AM
... When I open Palm Reader, it says No Books Open, and when I try to open it, I get a blank window, as if the book was not installed. Help!
The only thing that immediately comes to mind is that perhaps Palm Reader isn't truly closed when you remove the card and it's getting confused. If you tap Book/Exit and load Palm Reader again, do things work okay? Do the files show up in File Explorer on the PPC?

--Dave

PetiteFlower
08-07-2003, 06:30 AM
No the files were not showing up in File Explorer on the SD card even though the card reader showed they were there.

Palm Reader was closed as far as my task switcher could tell anyway.

Anyway just on a whim I installed the book to Main Memory and it seems to be working from there; I'm annoyed though the book takes up 1.2 megs! I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.