View Full Version : PocketPC 2003 upgrade

lgoldson
07-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Any idea if Viewsonic will either give or sell :( us V35 owners an upgrade to M$ PPC 2003.

Lloyd

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Yes, they have some plans they'll be announcing soon - as soon as they give me some hard info, I'll post on it for sure.

Thunderstruck
07-04-2003, 04:20 AM
I sent an e-mail to Viewsonic tech support asking about the upgrade, and got this response today:

Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for your inquiry about ViewSonic V35 model.

Yes, we do have plans for offering upgrade to PC2003 operating system. It will be posted on our website. We do not know the release date yet.

This backs up what Jason has already said.

Yay! :)

madbart
07-04-2003, 05:24 AM
Viewsonics are stating the end of July. That also that that this date may change without notice

inteller
08-29-2003, 08:13 PM
well now it is almost september. where is the upgrade?

Jimi D
09-02-2003, 10:10 PM
well now it is almost september. where is the upgrade?That's a good question - seems like they're taking their sweet time getting it out! In a niche market as crowded and competitive as the PPC market, I'd think they'd be more concerned about demonstrating competence and good faith by getting the upgrade out ASAP...

asok007
09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
OK, first it was July, then it was August, and now it looks like it's September (maybe). Here's the latest from Viewsonic tech support.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The release date for the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade is slated for September, but may be subject to change. For customers that have purchased the V35 or V37, a nominal fee will be applied due to the licensing of Pocket PC 2003. The fees have not been determined at this time. Please check our website for further updates and availability of the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact our Technical Support Team at 1-800-688-6688 and choose the Mobile & Wireless menu option. One of our Technical Support Engineers will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing ViewSonic.

Since I got my V37 for free, I guess I can't get too upset.

Vric
09-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Well I got a V35 last week and was looking for this update

I contacted 3 time viewsonic and have no anwser.

Will it have an update or not ? only have 30 days to return it if Viewsonic decided to not update their product. I don't want a unit that don't update and is unusable after 6 month like my ald casiopeia :? :cry:

Vric
09-14-2003, 06:49 PM
I finnaly got an awnser from them, but it's the exact same message asok007 posted (exact same word.. that's personal services)

well should be out in september... we are in mid-septembre... look like the next awnser will be for october.

Fishie
09-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Well I got a V35 last week and was looking for this update

I contacted 3 time viewsonic and have no anwser.

Will it have an update or not ? only have 30 days to return it if Viewsonic decided to not update their product. I don't want a unit that don't update and is unusable after 6 month like my ald casiopeia :? :cry:

Urm the old Casiopeia´s are still useable and so will the Viewsonic in six months time, even witouth upgrade.
It wont suddenly and magicaly lose the capabilities it has NOW.

Vric
09-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Urm the old Casiopeia´s are still useable and so will the Viewsonic in six months time, even witouth upgrade.
It wont suddenly and magicaly lose the capabilities it has NOW.

well, when 99% of the softwares/games don't work on your unit, it's a bit sad, even if it's a great unit (I loved my E-100)

anyway i just hope they release it, for now it's not a big deal, but for future, it may hurt... I keep the unit, i like it

Janak Parekh
09-14-2003, 09:36 PM
well, when 99% of the softwares/games don't work on your unit, it's a bit sad, even if it's a great unit (I loved my E-100)
This is unlikely to happen with PPC2002 devices for quite some time. Since they have the same processor class as WM2003 devices, you won't have the backwards-compatibility issues that MIPS devices like the old Casio units had. Besides, the vast majority of people still have PPC2002 devices, including myself. :)

anyway i just hope they release it, for now it's not a big deal, but for future, it may hurt... I keep the unit, i like it
Agreed! It's always nice to have the latest version.

--janak

Vric
09-24-2003, 06:12 PM
I have see an Axim on 2002 being upgraded on 2003. The performance boost for emulation is incredible.. was 4 to 10 time faster. on 2002, he got similar performance as me (about 5fps on Snes and Genesis) then with the update, he got 20fps to 40fps ! if my small V35 can be as fast, I will be happy.. oh and Viewsonic don't answer my email anymore.. :cry:

Edit: Update is avalaible in Taiwan