View Full Version : Sprint CF2031 + Windows Media 2003 - it can be done!

reydiodj
07-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Special thanks to the following Brighthand members: newst who pointed out that wayne58 was able to get it to work in the HP2200 forums! (data only)

I've now personally made the Sprint CF2031 work on a Windows Mobile 2003 device (data only) and here are my clarifications to make it easier if you need to duplicate them. In my case, I was successful in accomplishing this with my Toshiba e755 which was updated from PPC2k2 to WM2k3 yesterday - special thanks to JD Duncan from Toshiba! It should work for all PPCs running WM2k3 with a CF slot.

1. When you plug the CF2031, it is immediately recognized as a modem named "Sprint-CF2031" (should the device not be recognized, then you can donwload the latest PCS Connection Manager from www.cf2031.com and then uninstall it - since the current software is not yet compatible for 2k3. The driver for the card will remain resident on the Pocket PC)
2. I configured it to dial: #777
3. For the username, I entered my Sprint PCS Phone number
4. For the password, I entered my Vision password
5. For Domain, I left blank
6. In Advanced settings, I set the baud rate to the max - 115200
7. I left the Port Settings, TCP/IP, and Servers in their default settings.
8. In the main Connectivity Settings screen there is another advanced tab that manages connections. I have them set to Work, Work, and that the network card connects to The Internet.

Now what happens is when I initiate a web query (Pocket Internet Explorer), it'll automatically dial into the Vision network according to my settings - the connection will remain on until you disconnect by tapping the Connection icon on the Task Bar (those 2 new animated arrows on top).

dh
07-03-2003, 04:28 AM
I've been thinking of getting one of these. Can I ask you a couple of questions?

1. Do you have to use an external battery pack to use the CF card? I'm sure this would be a bit of a pain if it is the case.

2. What is the connection speed like? I believe the Sprint network is a lot faster than GPRS. Is this correct?

I have to decide whether to go with the Sprint card or sign up for the T-Mobile/Starbucks Hotspot thingy. I know that Sprint is more expensive for unlimited data, but for the convenience it might be worth it.

disconnected
07-03-2003, 04:58 PM
I've been thinking about this too, since Sprint's bluetooth phone seems to be in doubt.

I've read that some people have been able to convince Sprint that a Pocket PC plus this card equals a PDA/phone and is thus eligible for an add-a-phone-with-Vision price plan, rather than a data-card plan. What sort of plan did you get?

reydiodj
07-04-2003, 01:47 AM
dh/Disconnected: If you guys haven't visited our NCMCS forum yet, take a look at this thread (http://www.mobilecomputingsig.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=75&) that I started in February and have been posting my connection speeds from different parts of Northern California. I even talk about the plans I started with and am currently on.

If you are going to use it on your e750, remember that the directions I posted will only allow you to use it only as a data card on Windows Mobile 2003; if it is still on Pocket PC 2002, then take advantage of using both features, voice and data, with the Sprint Connection Manager Software.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied - for the discriminating user the use of the device as a phone is not too bad although you need an earbud or headset. In some headsets, the volume is a bit low and some are quite good. For me, its good enough. The antenna seems to be as sensitive as any of their Sprint phones, which is really good in my area, and my postings show some really good readings. When you can't deal with a phone line, and there isn't a hotspot available, this is really a good alternative.

I also provided some screenshots and mention other things in the thread such as how to create a pseudo standby mode and how/where to get the latest update for the client, how I can make it run without the external battery. The latest update really improved upon some of the shortcomings in the initial reports when it first came out.

As for rate plans I started off on that plan it was something like $40 for 20MB a month, which was a limit I never could reach on a PPC. The plan should still be available if you can speak directly to a rep and ask them about it, if not, maybe they indeed have pulled it out. After using it for a few months, I was able to call a rep have them review my usage and then he offered to put it on a regular Vision plan like their other and future Pocket PC phones since they can tell I was never going to use it on a notebook - this way I can get some voice minutes. Asking for it as an add-a-phone may work, but then I've also seen some people lose those plans because it wasn't inteded to be that way - my situation I had the card as a primary phone with a Vision phone plan and have an actual phone as the add-a-phone option, so for $80 I have 500 minutes, unlimited PCS-to-PCS calling, unlimited night and weekend minutes, unlimited Vision/internet shared on an additional phone, so this works for me.

If there's any other questions, please do let me know, you can post them here or on our forum.

dh
07-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Thanks Rey, I checked out your forums, interesting stuff.

Looks like it's a trade off between the faster speed of the T-Mobile WiFi and the convienence of the Sprint CDMA.

The battery pack does not look as though it's not a total pain and would obviously help extend the PPC battery life.

Hmmm....... still not sure what to do.