View Full Version : WMP 9 question

fasheezy
07-02-2003, 11:33 PM
I'm new to the PPC platform and I wanted to know if there was a way to play mp3's using WMP 9 while having the screen shut off. Also, is there anything on the PPC that acts similarly to the "HOLD" button on Palm devices?

Kevin C. Tofel
07-03-2003, 12:52 AM
First of all: WELCOME to the PocketPC world!

Second: yes, you can listen to music on WMP with the screen turned off by mapping a button. I don't know which PPC you have or which version of the operating system, but I'll tell you how I do this on my Dell Axim with WMP8.5.

In Windows Media, tap Tools, then Settings, then Buttons.
Under the drop down menu called "Select Function", choose "Screen Toggle"
Now, pick any button on your PPC and press it. This will assign the "Screen Toggle" function to that button.
Tap OK at the top right, which will bring you back to WMP.

Now, play some music and then hit the button you just mapped. WMP should play without interruption and the screen should be off (saving precious battery life!). To turn the screen back on, press the same button you used to turn off the screen.

Is that COOL 8) or what?

By the way, you can leave that button mapped to toggle your screen all of the time using the method above. If you only want this button to toggle the screen when using WMP, there is a check box on the Tools, Settings, Buttons screen you need to check. It's labeled "Un-map buttons during background play"

KCT

fasheezy
07-03-2003, 05:26 AM
I have the new 2215 with Windows Mobil 2003 and WMP9. Will your instructions still work with this model? Thanks a lot for the help.

Eitel
07-03-2003, 05:49 AM
I have the new 2215 with Windows Mobil 2003 and WMP9. Will your instructions still work with this model? Thanks a lot for the help.

Yes. It will work the same. 0X

spursdude
07-03-2003, 06:10 AM
I would assume so - WMP for PPC didn't radically change. Anyways, why not just try it and see? :)

fasheezy
07-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks so much guys, it worked!