View Full Version : Bugs and Subscriber Issues

Jason Dunn
07-02-2003, 09:20 PM
First up: to anyone who has turned off the email blast feature, and you're still getting the messages, my deepest apologies: it's not our intention to send you messages without your permission, and something is broken with our system that results in the email blasts being sent out even though you've turned off that feature. Please be patient while we fix this, and I apologize for the unwanted email messages (including this one). :oops:<br /><br />Next, there are lots of questions about the subscriber services, so I'm working on a FAQ. I expect it to go live later today and address some of the questions that have been raised.<br /><br />The response has been overwhelming - I'm still a little stunned at how many of you have subscribed (especially you "lifetimers"). Thank you!

JeffreyCentex
07-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Jason:

Just wanted to let you know that the email blasts have been tagged as junk mail in the Razor spam checking software. So those of you who aren't getting the email blasts but should, make sure you add them to your whitelist...

Jeffrey

Jason Dunn
07-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Just wanted to let you know that the email blasts have been tagged as junk mail in the Razor spam checking software. So those of you who aren't getting the email blasts but should, make sure you add them to your whitelist...

Good point. In fact, anyone who's using spam-blocking software should put pocketpcthoughts.com in the whitelist. We'll never spam you. :-)

snowlion
07-02-2003, 10:07 PM
i don't understand the lifetime membership...it says 5 years next to it.

is it lifetime or is it 5 years?

Jason Dunn
07-02-2003, 10:10 PM
i don't understand the lifetime membership...it says 5 years next to it. is it lifetime or is it 5 years?

From the text on that page:

"Our system can only go up to a maximum of five years, but rest assured when the five years are up we'll renew your account hassle-free."

The issue is that PayPal has a hard-coded limit of 5 years.

willkess71
07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
I feel leftout.... I haven't gotten an email yet... Sorry Jason just another bug to work through.

JonnoB
07-03-2003, 12:36 AM
The issue is that PayPal has a hard-coded limit of 5 years.

It seems that some programmers have not learned from Y2K that hard-coding things is a problem waiting to happen.

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 12:38 AM
I feel leftout.... I haven't gotten an email yet... Sorry Jason just another bug to work through.

What email? The one telling you you've subscribed? Hmm...you should have! It looks like our system signed you up though, right? (you have the badge)

darrylb
07-03-2003, 01:14 AM
How many subscribers have you got so far (if you can say)? I'll sign up as soon as I get my paypal account sorted. :roll: Need to confirm the credit card.... :evil:

sponge
07-03-2003, 02:17 AM
It seems that some programmers have not learned from Y2K that hard-coding things is a problem waiting to happen.

What if it's a security issue? Maybe not in this case, but others surely.

JeffreyCentex
07-03-2003, 02:57 AM
Another bug:

Settings don't seem to follow you (not in profile, at least). If I logon using my laptop, the settings I used on my work machine for layout don't seem to follow... :(

GoldKey
07-03-2003, 03:04 AM
Another bug:

Settings don't seem to follow you (not in profile, at least). If I logon using my laptop, the settings I used on my work machine for layout don't seem to follow... :(

I noted the same thing.

JonnoB
07-03-2003, 03:26 AM
I believe the settings are cookie based... rather than account based. It appears that the cookie can only be set by those accounts that are in the program.

JonnoB
07-03-2003, 03:37 AM
It seems that some programmers have not learned from Y2K that hard-coding things is a problem waiting to happen.What if it's a security issue? Maybe not in this case, but others surely.Security issues should be dealt with directly. Sometimes, programmers make shortcuts that solve a short-term problem assuming that they will have time to fix it later - as was the case with 2-digit year representation. It was assumed the software would be replaced before 1999. It is almost always better to invest in making the software robust and extensible at the cost of a quicker release even when "time to market" seems to matter most.

Eitel
07-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Jason, one thing I noticed. I haven't subscribe yet (that's really easy to see :wink: ) , but since the services came online, I don't get the cookies for latest post anymore. What I mean is that I don't get the yellow icon at the side of a forum with a new thread. It was working fine last night and today is not working.

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 05:07 AM
How many subscribers have you got so far (if you can say)?

I'd prefer not to give out exact numbers, but I will say that my goal for Day 1 was 100 subscribers, and we surpassed that around noon, so I'm very pleased. :D

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 05:11 AM
Another bug:

Thanks, we'll look into it.

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 05:11 AM
Jason, one thing I noticed. I haven't subscribe yet (that's really easy to see :wink: ) , but since the services came online, I don't get the cookies for latest post anymore. What I mean is that I don't get the yellow icon at the side of a forum with a new thread. It was working fine last night and today is not working.

I've had a few reports of this - we'll look into it. Thanks! Ugg - so many bugs... :oops:

proutpa
07-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Jason, I noticed a problem with mobile forum.

If somebody has a lot of icons on the bottom like - profile, pm, www, aim, yahoo, msnm, etc... - it messes up the formatting and the mobile version is no longer readable without scrolling left & right constantly.

This is a real pain!!

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
07-03-2003, 05:55 AM
If somebody has a lot of icons on the bottom like - profile, pm, www, aim, yahoo, msnm, etc... - it messes up the formatting and the mobile version is no longer readable without scrolling left & right constantly.

Are you sure it's not something else in the thread, like an URL? We have no URL-wrapping system in place yet, so often URLs cause the problem. Do you have a specific thread I can go look at to see this?

AlexMakin
07-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Hmmmm

I don't know what I have done, but after 15 mins of unsuccessfully trying to reverse whatever it was I did, I am now looking to see if there is a way to return to the default settings with a click of a button...

For some reason, the "Last 10 posts" and "Top Stories" seems to have moved to the left hand side, all the way down the bottom (underneath the middle section of Top Stories and Latest Articles)... And I can't change it...

I don't want it down there. I want it back up on the left hand side, underneath "Featured Product", where it normally is. I have changed the Modules setting cos I didn't want "Friends" (ads) or "PriceGrabber". Put them back on and they are still waaaay down the bottom on the lhs... any hints?

Alex

proutpa
07-03-2003, 02:38 PM

Are you sure it's not something else in the thread, like an URL? We have no URL-wrapping system in place yet, so often URLs cause the problem. Do you have a specific thread I can go look at to see this?

I'm positive Jason. You can look at this very thread on a PPC and see what I'm talking about. More specifically any post by JonnoB (no offense JonnoB) in mobile format. I think the problem can be fixed by allowing the icons to wrap if that's a possibility.

Thanks Jason.
Paul

proutpa
07-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Edit

In some of JonnoB's posts the icon's wrap, in others they don't.

GoldKey
07-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Another bug. I made my settings 30 news stories per page, 20 pages max when I signed up yesterday. As someone else noted earlier, when I go to another PC, those settings do not carry through. But I also noted that when I came back to my work PC today, I was back to the default to pages. I went into the customization settings and they were at the 30 and 20 I set them at. I clicked the update even though I did not change anything and then my front page was OK. Incidentally, I remained logged in, so it was not an issue of not being logged in.

Jeff Rutledge
07-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Hmmmm

I don't know what I have done, but after 15 mins of unsuccessfully trying to reverse whatever it was I did, I am now looking to see if there is a way to return to the default settings with a click of a button...

For some reason, the "Last 10 posts" and "Top Stories" seems to have moved to the left hand side, all the way down the bottom (underneath the middle section of Top Stories and Latest Articles)... And I can't change it...

I don't want it down there. I want it back up on the left hand side, underneath "Featured Product", where it normally is. I have changed the Modules setting cos I didn't want "Friends" (ads) or "PriceGrabber". Put them back on and they are still waaaay down the bottom on the lhs... any hints?

Alex

Alex,

Did you change your maximum character length for any module? That's what did it for me. I changed it back to 34 and they were back near the top where they should be.

Jonathon Watkins
07-03-2003, 07:17 PM
I'll sign up as soon as I get my paypal account sorted. :roll: Need to confirm the credit card.... :evil:

Yup, same here. :?

Jason Dunn
07-05-2003, 06:43 AM

How many front page stories do you have it displaying? Try restoring it to the default of 10 and see if that helps...

Jeff Rutledge
07-06-2003, 03:12 AM

How many front page stories do you have it displaying? Try restoring it to the default of 10 and see if that helps...

Jason,

I just reset both to 10 and it didn't help. However, I also reset the character length to 34 for both and it didn't help either. The latter seemed to fix things up for me a couple days ago.
:?:

Jeff Rutledge
07-07-2003, 10:31 PM
This appears to be fixed now. I can see 30 articles and 100 characters each, right where they're supposed to be.

Well done!
:rock on dude!: