View Full Version : Slim Thumb keyboard not registering all key presses

ChristopherTD
07-02-2003, 11:20 AM
I got my new Slim Thumb Keyboard yesterday and I can't get the thing to work reliably.

The 5450 has to be inserted with a lot of force to get the keyboard to "click" into place - which seems like a recipe for wear.

But once seated and enabled, it doesn't always seem to recognise keystrokes. Does anyone know if this is because it is not fully seated, or is it a feature of these thumb keyboards? The key clicks (mechanically) but only about 1 in 5 keystrokes appear in the application.

My children were terribly excited when they saw it (a keyboard their size) but couldn't get any further than I, so more than one set of fingers has attempted it! I have tried reseating it without any improvement.

Anyone got any tips for making this work better?

Thanks
Christopher

jeremyweisser
07-02-2003, 02:50 PM
I had similar problems. What you have to do is not force the ipaq in. When inserting the ipaq into the keyboard frame gently press in on the bottom of the ipaq (battery area) and push down from the top. The keyboard should then click on smoothly.

I have not had the intermitent problems you are describing however my first keyboard was deffective and I had to send it back to HP for an exchange.

ChristopherTD
07-02-2003, 02:54 PM
The intermittent problems seem related to power-on with the keyboard installed. The odd thing is that the Calendar/Contacts/InBox/iTask buttons work after power on, but not the rest of them.

I will try your insertion procedure - thanks for that tip.

Dave Beauvais
07-02-2003, 10:39 PM
I am in the process of reviewing this keyboard right now for Thoughts and have encounted similar issues. It took me a few tries to get my h5455 inserted properly the first time, but a friend's iPAQ 3955 slips in perfectly. "jeremyweisser's" suggestion to press in slightly at the bottom of the battery while inserting the iPAQ is right on -- that's the only way I can get my h5455 to dock properly. It's as though something is close but not quite positioned exactly where it needs to be.

I have also noticed a problem with losing the connection between the iPAQ and the keyboard with only the slightest movement on the left side. And I mean slight -- the pressure of pressing the stylus into its slot on the right side lifts the left side of the iPAQ out off the connector just enough that the keyboard doesn't work. This does not happen with my friend's 3955, so I had assumed it was a problem with the sync connector on my h5455. Perhaps not.

Try this the next time the keyboard seems to stop working, Christopher: With the iPAQ inserted, put your left thumb in the "cutout" for the headphone jack and press straight down on the antenna nub with whatever finger on the same hand will reach. This fixes the connection problem I have experienced -- at least until the iPAQ wiggles loose again. :?

Aside from this issue, my experience with this little keyboard has been very positive. The review will be finished this weekend and should be up here on the site sometime soon!

--Dave

ChristopherTD
07-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the tips Dave. I suspected it may have been a loose connection, but I am surprised that it is quite so sensitive to movement.

Along with Jeremy's suggestion it should make the keyboard workable.

I look forward to your review.

maikii
07-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know--does this new thumb keyboard also work with /fit the 2210/15?

Also, I believe it comes with a screen cover. Is the screen cover separate? In other words, can you use the screen cover when the thumb keyboard is not attached?

Dave Beauvais
07-03-2003, 06:09 PM
No, the keyboard will not fit the 2200 series. It's designed like an expansion sleeve, which means it'll only work on iPAQs which can accept expansion sleeves, such as the 3800, 3900, and h5000 series. The screen cover is integrated into the device and cannot be used without the keyboard. You'll be able to read more in my review.

--Dave

maikii
07-07-2003, 01:55 AM
No, the keyboard will not fit the 2200 series. It's designed like an expansion sleeve, which means it'll only work on iPAQs which can accept expansion sleeves, such as the 3800, 3900, and h5000 series. The screen cover is integrated into the device and cannot be used without the keyboard. You'll be able to read more in my review.

--Dave

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I just found this, after posting a new post about this.

How about other mini thumb keyboards, such as the older HP model, and those by other brands? Will any fit on the 2210/15?

Dave Beauvais
07-07-2003, 02:04 AM
Due to the design and shape of all the previous iPAQs, I seriously doubt any of the older thumb keyboards will fit, either. While the actual connector itself might be compatible, the physical shapes of the iPAQs are different. I guess you could buy one and try it, but make sure you can return it since it probably won't fit. :)

Incidentally, if nobody has replied to your other post, you can just delete it.

--Dave