View Full Version : So let me see if I have this straight...

Hyperluminal
07-01-2003, 09:54 PM
The name for the hardware platform we all know and love is still Pocket PC. The OS that runs it is Windows Mobile 2003 for the Pocket PC. The software platform is simply Windows Mobile. Correct?

Now how does this relate to Windows CE (the name)? Does Windows Mobile replace WCE, or is CE still the underlying platform name?

And "Pocket PC 2003" is simply an incorrect term for WM2003?

I'm so confused... :? ;)

Jason Dunn
07-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Windows CE, as a brand, is totally dead, as is "Windows Powered".

Pocket PCs run Windows Mobile, in this case it's Windows Mobile 2003, and therefor the product can be referred to as Pocket PC 2003 to keep things simple....err - sort of simple.

Isn't branding fun? :lol:

Jimmy Dodd
07-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Windows CE, as a brand, is totally dead, as is "Windows Powered".

So CE is history - even for non-Pocket PC embedded devices?

Windows Mobile is kind of a funny name for these embedded systems as gas pumps, POS registers, and other "fixed" installations are definately not mobile. :idontthinkso:

Hyperluminal
07-01-2003, 10:22 PM
OK, that actually makes it simpler than before. At least now it's all under the Windows Mobile tent- no Windows CE "underlying" or anything.

So is Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC going to be different than other Windows Mobiles, like PPC was a superset of CE? For that matter, is there going to be/is there a WM for HPCs? (and HPCs do exist, NEC has one, and they're going to be bringing back the Clio, right?)

Windows CE is dead! Long live Windows CE!
;)

Godsongz
07-01-2003, 11:16 PM
hmmm.. shades of "The Princess Bride"... its only MOSTLY DEAD :lol: My new 2215 says in Asset Viewer that its running OS Version: Windows CE 4.20

jd4science
07-01-2003, 11:48 PM
So it's quasi-dead, yes? :)

dangerwit
07-02-2003, 02:50 AM
hmmm.. shades of "The Princess Bride"... its only MOSTLY DEAD :lol: My new 2215 says in Asset Viewer that its running OS Version: Windows CE 4.20

To my knowledge, CE still exists, as 4.2, or, "CE .NET". The devices from corporate vendors with the newest OS come with either CE.NET 4.2 or Windows Mobile 2003.

Does anyone know the differences? Is it like what Pocket PC 2000/2 was to CE 3.0?

*Phil

Jason Dunn
07-02-2003, 03:19 AM
To my knowledge, CE still exists, as 4.2, or, "CE .NET". The devices from corporate vendors with the newest OS come with either CE.NET 4.2 or Windows Mobile 2003. Does anyone know the differences? Is it like what Pocket PC 2000/2 was to CE 3.0?

Yes, that's correct - CE does still exist, but not in the end-user world of Pocket PCs and Smartphones, at least as far as this branding is concerned. It's called Windows Mobile 2003 in our world now. :D

Jimmy Dodd
07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
To my knowledge, CE still exists, as 4.2, or, "CE .NET". The devices from corporate vendors with the newest OS come with either CE.NET 4.2 or Windows Mobile 2003. Does anyone know the differences? Is it like what Pocket PC 2000/2 was to CE 3.0?

Yes, that's correct - CE does still exist, but not in the end-user world of Pocket PCs and Smartphones, at least as far as this branding is concerned. It's called Windows Mobile 2003 in our world now. :D

OK. Now it all makes sense...in a Microsoft sort of way. :wink: